• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better prepared thanks to forum ! 10 Kilo,s lighter 10 August SJPP

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Setting off on the 10 August 2016 10 kilos lighter than last time in 2013 carried a 25 Kilo bag never again. I lost the skin of both heels and blisters on every toe, minus three toe nails. I had the greatest time thanks to my fellow comrades on the journey.

Had a few regrets, most was leaving a German friend and walking buddy in Pamplona had to go on my own for selfish reasons. I always will wonder what happened to him ?

Because of the bag i could not lift my head concentrating on the road immediately in front of me one step at a time .Every time iI looked up all I could see was another hill. One of my Aussie friends told me to lift my head and see the beautiful country this time my head will be held high.

"May the road rise to meet me"

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Nuala much appreciated from a fellow "northie"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I came the other way we may have passed on the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well done Mick, I'm sure you could knock another 5k's off this. I carried everything including the kitchen sink and had the pack down to 10 k's.
Buen Camino.
Thanks wayfarer I had a bath towel 6 feet by 6 feet the caminoites in Burgos nearly died laughing "you know who you are OzAnnie "

Last edited:
Thanks wayfarer I had a bath towel 6 feet by 6 feet the caminoites in Burgos nearly died laughing "you know how you are Annie "
speaking of bath towels, I am in search, and believe me, would love my cushie 6x6 but know I would hate it after my first uphill trip!! any ideas?

I bought lite weight micro fibre bath towel from mountain warehouse in Dublin its massive but lite.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Setting off on the 10 August 2016 10 kilos lighter than last time in 2013 carried a 25 Kilo bag never again./QUOTE] Hi MickMac,

Even at 15Kg, your pack seems very heavy to me given that you are walking in a hot part of the year.

I walked over 1,000kms last year for 7 weeks in May/June and my pack weight without food and water was just under 5Kgs. I did not need to buy any kit along the way except a few AA batteries for my little compact camera.

Keep looking at what you are taking and think "Do I need it or do I just want it?"

Buen Camino,

Mike

Setting off on the 10 August 2016 10 kilos lighter than last time in 2013 carried a 25 Kilo bag never again. I lost the skin of both heels and blisters on every toe. ...

Please, pretty please post your packing list before you set out next time and we all will help you to reduce it to reality! Buen Camino, SY

speaking of bath towels, I am in search
You would be surprised how well a small (30x30 cm) cotton terry facecloth works to dry you off. I hate the feel of the microfibre towels, so I use a cotton facecloth to dry my body, and a 40x90 cm microfibre towel for hair and rolling up clothes that have just been washed. My facecloth spends much of its time hanging on my backpack to dry, be aired, and be available. Since it is small and not white, it is very inconspicuous. Together the two towels are quite compact and functional.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use ... a 40 x 90 cm microfibre towel for ... rolling up clothes that have just been washed.

I have also found this technique works wonders to get more water out than hand squeezing can do and significantly quickens the dry time. And the microfibre towel drys quickly also when spread out as you advise.

You would be surprised how well a small (30x30 cm) cotton terry facecloth works to dry you off. I hate the feel of the microfibre towels, so I use a cotton facecloth to dry my body, and a 40x90 cm microfibre towel for hair and rolling up clothes that have just been washed. My facecloth spends much of its time hanging on my backpack to dry, be aired, and be available. Since it is small and not white, it is very inconspicuous. Together the two towels are quite compact and functional.
Yeah, I hate the feel of microfiber too, today I bought a sports towel, mostly cotton, and way bigger than I should probably have, but we will see. I do fear how long it will take to dry, especially in spring weather. May that be my biggest fear !!
Thanks to you also for other postings I have read by you, and learned from.

Hi Michael
Great work. I hope you'll get the chance to post occasionally and let us know how you go.
You really know the consequences and have so much more experience now (both personal and from this forum).
When you stop laughing at the image of yourself using a face cloth to dry (just couldn't see you being happy with that method but I do think it's a good one)- think about SYates idea about the list.
I will be picturing you stepping out with your head held high., and more than that, making the people you meet laugh and have a great time all the way.
Buen Camino
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Michael
Great work. I hope you'll get the chance to post occasionally and let us know how you go.
You really know the consequences and have so much more experience now (both personal and from this forum).
When you stop laughing at the image of yourself using a face cloth to dry (just couldn't see you being happy with that method but I do think it's a good one)- think about SYates idea about the list.
I will be picturing you stepping out with your head held high., and more than that, making the people you meet laugh and have a great time all the way.

Buen Camino
Annie

Thanks Annie , yeah that face cloth will not hide the blushes as I leave the shower :) .

Got a new rucksack so I don't,t have to check it in. SYates idea about reducing is a great one the pack will be lighter than two feathers by the time I am finished .Will try to keep you updated hope its as great craic as the last one as long as lots of Aussies are there.

Buen Camino Annie.

FIFTEEN KILOS???? That would be way too much for ME. I walk with 7-8 kilos MAX. I don't need much as a pilgrim. I often sleep in the clothes I would be walking with the next morning. Buen Camino

Last year, I purchased an oversized, florescent orange, terry cloth fleeced/flocked microfiber towel at an online automobile detailing shop. It is as large as a proper bath towel at home, but weighs a fraction of the amount that a cotton, terrycloth towel might.

I bought it large enough to allow me to lay out hand-washed and well-wrung out synthetic fiber shirts, boxer short underwear, and two pair of walking socks. I am a rather large fellow and my clothes are usually commensurately larger as well. I use the rolling and stomping technique mentioned above to remove nearly all water. I have successfully done so in more than 40 years of global traveling. however, when on Camino, hotel towels are few and far between...needs must...

In fact, there have been a couple of situations on Camino, where I needed to wear the "stomp-dried" shirt and boxer shorts directly. Yes, they were damp. But after an hour or so walking, they were dry.

I selected this particular towel, knowing the extra weight, because I was prepared to trade the relatively small increase in weight over a standard, travel-sized smooth microfleece towel for the following uses:
  • I can use it in a shared shower situation to wrap around my stocky body, to go back and forth without embarrassment.
  • It remains dry enough to use for rolling and stomping hand laundry, even after my shower.
  • I can use it as a privacy screen between bunk beds if desired. It dries in the process.
  • It can also be used as a coverlet or throw over me at night if the evening is chilly. Smooth microfiber cannot insulate as well.
  • The bright orange color can be used for emergency signaling or to increase visibility.
All added weight is not, in and of itself an evil thing on Camino. The concept to bear in mind is trading weight for multiple uses. The more uses an item can be put to, the better it justifies being packed, despite any weight penalty.

I hope this helps the dialog.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Checkout Pack Towl (correct spelling) ultra light ,very soft and absorbent can be rung out like a sponge also quick to dry.
I have used microfiber towels in the past, never could get really dry with them. Compared with the Pack Towl night and day experience.

Setting off on the 10 August 2016 10 kilos lighter than last time in 2013 carried a 25 Kilo bag never again. I lost the skin of both heels and blisters on every toe. I had the greatest time thanks to my fellow comrades on the journey.

Had a few regrets, most was leaving a German friend and walking buddy in Pamplona had to go on my own for selfish reasons. I always will wonder what happened to him ?

Because of the bag i could not lift my head concentrating on the road immediately in front of me one step at a time .Every time iI looked up all I could see was another hill. One of my Aussie friends told me to lift my head and see the beautiful country this time my head will be held high.

"May the road rise to meet me"

Hi Could I ask how heavy your bag should be or any advise on what should be brought and not brought along for the camino?

Hi @MargheritaM Before everyone else weighs in :)oops:) ....

Your pack should weigh no more than you can comfortably carry over distances of 20-25 k on successive days for a month. Some have suggested that this equates to something around 10% of your total body-weight. There is much debate but little evidence to support this theory but I can advise that the vast quantities of hot air the debate generates will not make your load any lighter. What should you bring? Try searching packing-list on this forum but bring no more than you need. As for what should not be brought on the Camino - that is far too big a question :). But keep your expectations to a minimum and you will be rewarded by many happy surprises.

Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Your pack should weigh no more than you can comfortably carry over distances of 20-25 k on successive days for a month. Some have suggested that this equates to something around 10% of your total body-weight. There is much debate but little evidence to support this theory but I can advise that the vast quantities of hot air the debate generates will not make your load any lighter. What should you bring? Try searching packing-list on this forum but bring no more than you need. As for what should not be brought on the Camino - that is far too big a question :). But keep your expectations to a minimum and you will be rewarded by many happy surprises.

Buen camino

Thank you. Could I ask should I bring a sleeping bag?

Another search will bring you lots of debate on that topic too. And the answer is 'it depends'. It depends on your time of year of travel, your choices of accommodation and whether you are a 'hot' or 'cold' sleeper. I see you are planning an April / May Camino. At that time of year you may still encounter snow and sub-zero temperatures in the higher parts of the route. Some Albergues can be pretty cold at night.

If you are walking the Frances in April and May, and are staying mostly in albergues, DO take a lightweight sleeping bag. There will be folks who hold strong opinions on this, but if the albergue has little or no heat, and the day is rainy, snowy, or cold, you will appreciate the warmth at night. Some insist that albergues provide blankets. However, I prefer MY sleeping bag.

Also, early morning temperatures on The Way in the single digits (Celsius) are common at that time of year. I prefer being toasty warm when facing that sort of paradigm. I can get dressed in the bag, before heading out into the brisk day...brrrr!

Over the years, I have gravitated to staying mostly in hostals (small, family-run 1-star hotels or B&Bs). I snore and make all sorts of noises all night, so to be considerate, I pay to stay in private lodgings whenever possible. So, and to save space and weight, I have finally settled on a microfleece liner from Alps Engineering that has a full-separating zipper. It is rectangular, machine-washable, and "right-sized" for me. Here is the exact web site: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

This firm makes several other very good liners, microfleece, fleece, mummy and rectangular. They are all reasonably priced.

I do not usually need the liner when staying in private accommodations. I carry it for the "just in case" I have to stay in the occasional albergue. It rests in the bottom of my rucksack, usually for my entire Camino. but it is a piece of kit I would not hike without.

The lightest bags are down-filled, and you can find one that weighs perhaps 600 grams, more or less if you look hard. If you are allergic to down, then try for a synthetic filled bag.

In general the biggest advantage of synthetic filled bags is that they can easily be machine-washed as the opportunity present itself. Also, and in general, the greatest disadvantage of a synthetic bag is the relatively greater weight and compressed size, relative to a down-filled bag.

When using a sleeping bag, instead of a liner-only, I favor a rectangular or semi-rectangular shape with a full-separating zipper, so it can be used as a large quilt, or paired with a second, identical bag to form a large shared sleeping bag.;)

Snugpak makes a very good, lightweight synthetic bag called the Traveller. If I recall correctly, it weighs about 880 - 900 grams all in. Mine compresses to the size of a pineapple.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen camino

Hello Tincatinker, - I like your name! You are correct when you say that a backpack should equate about 10% of your total body-weight, but only when you are truly backpacking! Carrying a tent, your food for a few days, your cooking gear, etc. Walking the Camino, it should be a lot less. In 2013 I walked Camino del Norte and it took me about 6 weeks, I carried no more than 6 kilos, plus what I was wearing, of course. You don't need a tent, cooking gear, food for a few days, a water filter, etc. isn't necessary. All you need is what you're wearing (a wool t-shirt, hiking convertible pants, underwear, socks, trail shoes, and a hat), plus a lightweight down(synthetic) quilt/sleeping bag, 2 sets of undies, 2 pairs of socks, a long sleeve wool shirt, wool long johns, your rain jacket, a windbreaker, and a fleece or a lightweight down jacket, a pair of lightweight hiking sandals, perhaps an additional lightweight skort/skirt/etc.. That's is the heavy stuff, from there add a McNett microfiber towel XL (250 gr.), it's much bigger than my medium :), a shampoo bar for showering and washing clothes, toiletries and a few other things that add up to the 6 kilos. Just saying, 20-25 kilos is enormous weight to carry, even for a big guy! Why that much? Lighter makes for much more comfortable walking, blisters are none existent, and it's so much easier on the body -pains and aches are less!

Just saying, 20-25 kilos is enormous weight to carry,
Very true and I'm sure @Tincatinker would agree. You misread his post - he doesn't suggest carrying 20-25 kg :eek:, he said one should carry only what one can comfortably carry over distances of 20-25 k (kilometers) on successive days for a month! For me, that is about 6-7 kg, which happens to be just over 10% of my weight.

Very true and I'm sure @Tincatinker would agree. You misread his post - he doesn't suggest carrying 20-25 kg :eek:, he said one should carry only what one can comfortably carry over distances of 20-25 k (kilometers) on successive days for a month! For me, that is about 6-7 kg, which happens to be just over 10% of my weight.
You are absolutely right! I stand corrected, thank you:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last year, I purchased an oversized, florescent orange, terry cloth fleeced/flocked microfiber towel at an online automobile detailing shop. It is as large as a proper bath towel at home, but weighs a fraction of the amount that a cotton, terrycloth towel might.

I bought it large enough to allow me to lay out hand-washed and well-wrung out synthetic fiber shirts, boxer short underwear, and two pair of walking socks. I am a rather large fellow and my clothes are usually commensurately larger as well. I use the rolling and stomping technique mentioned above to remove nearly all water. I have successfully done so in more than 40 years of global traveling. however, when on Camino, hotel towels are few and far between...needs must...

In fact, there have been a couple of situations on Camino, where I needed to wear the "stomp-dried" shirt and boxer shorts directly. Yes, they were damp. But after an hour or so walking, they were dry.

I selected this particular towel, knowing the extra weight, because I was prepared to trade the relatively small increase in weight over a standard, travel-sized smooth microfleece towel for the following uses:
  • I can use it in a shared shower situation to wrap around my stocky body, to go back and forth without embarrassment.
  • It remains dry enough to use for rolling and stomping hand laundry, even after my shower.
  • I can use it as a privacy screen between bunk beds if desired. It dries in the process.
  • It can also be used as a coverlet or throw over me at night if the evening is chilly. Smooth microfiber cannot insulate as well.
  • The bright orange color can be used for emergency signaling or to increase visibility.
All added weight is not, in and of itself an evil thing on Camino. The concept to bear in mind is trading weight for multiple uses. The more uses an item can be put to, the better it justifies being packed, despite any weight penalty.

I hope this helps the dialog.
Shared shower situation??? as in co-ed showers??? I don't think i'm prepared for that!! please tell me that there are separate shower stalls.. I know, I know.... the europeans are very easy going about stuff like that, but i'm modest. This is going to be one heck of an experience!!!!!:oops::eek:o_O

I only encountered private stalls. I've heard rumours of one or two possibly shared situations, but would choose to pass on the shower in that case!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
speaking of bath towels, I am in search, and believe me, would love my cushie 6x6 but know I would hate it after my first uphill trip!! any ideas?
Try looking at the muslin type baby blankets. That's what I have. It's quite large and dries me off nicely. it dries very quickly too. I think they're used for swaddling blankets for babies in hot weather. Mine is 50x50 inches and weighs 153 gms. It's called Baby Hug from babyhughawaii.com I plan on hanging from the upper bunk for a little privacy in the bottom bunk if needed. It's gauzy, so it should let the air circulate through it.

Shared shower situation??? as in co-ed showers??? I don't think i'm prepared for that!! please tell me that there are separate shower stalls.. I know, I know.... the europeans are very easy going about stuff like that, but i'm modest. This is going to be one heck of an experience!!!!!:oops::eek:o_O
Never encountered the shared shower experience either

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please excuse the shock but did you actually carry 25 kg (around 60 pounds)? I am not sure how the hell you lifted it and THEN walked to Santiago. I can fully understand the "feet problems".

I thought my 12-14kg (inc food/water) was heavy, but compared to yours its a lightweight. Congratulations and Buen Camino for Aug 2016 - with a backpack of less than 15kg (although still heavy) you will "fly" along The Way!!

Please excuse the shock but did you actually carry 25 kg (around 60 pounds)? I am not sure how the hell you lifted it and THEN walked to Santiago. I can fully understand the "feet problems".

I thought my 12-14kg (inc food/water) was heavy, but compared to yours its a lightweight. Congratulations and Buen Camino for Aug 2016 - with a backpack of less than 15kg (although still heavy) you will "fly" along The Way!!

The only reason I was aware of the weight. I was surcharged at Dublin airport on check in. I did little or no preparation just stuck everything in the rucksack I borrowed and set off. My skin has healed on my heels but is still a reddish colour.

I was totally unfit as I said in past posts near the top of the Pyrenees I laid down for a rest a French couple thought I had passed out ( or away) they woke me saying CA VA I am not to sure what that means I thought it might have been a prayer for the dying :) .
If I stopped I had to wait to be pulled up by the next passing pilgrim. Apart from the pain it was one of the best experiences of my life so off I go again accompanied by my brother hope to have at least half as much craic as the last time.

Training over 30 k per week religiously for past 5 months .

I will never wear hiking boots in the summer again also no heavy socks just keen hiking sandals. Thanks again to this great forum.

Buen Camino Mike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The only reason I was aware of the weight. I was surcharged at Dublin airport on check in. I did little or no preparation just stuck everything in the rucksack I borrowed and set off. My skin has healed on my heels but is still a reddish colour.

I was totally unfit as I said in past posts near the top of the Pyrenees I laid down for a rest a French couple thought I had passed out ( or away) they woke me saying CA VA I am not to sure what that means I thought it might have been a prayer for the dying :) .
If I stopped I had to wait to be pulled up by the next passing pilgrim. Apart from the pain it was one of the best experiences of my life so off I go again accompanied by my brother hope to have at least half as much craic as the last time.

Training over 30 k per week religiously for past 5 months .

I will never wear hiking boots in the summer again also no heavy socks just keen hiking sandals. Thanks again to this great forum.

Buen Camino Mike

Ha ha. 'Prayer for the dying !
I hope the prep for this August Camino is going to plan. Feeling fit?

I am on holiday in USA at moment for a month , seeing a lot of Sth west. Plenty to see .
Hoping to be retired by August . Always a possibility of walking into you in Santiago De Compostela (depending on many things ).

Buen Camino Michael
Annie

"Ca va?" means, literally, "it goes?" It can be used in a number of ways, in your case it meant "are you ok?"

I believe these posts have been moved to a different forum ?? is that a promotion ?? .

Annie really looking forward to my next Camino going to Malta for a couple of weeks for a conference and getting in practice for Camino, very flat country . My kid brother is walking with me this Camino he thinks it will be easy :)

Can you retire in your early fifties in Australia seems a bit premature.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I believe these posts have been moved to a different forum ?? is that a promotion ?? .

Annie really looking forward to my next Camino going to Malta for a couple of weeks for a conference and getting in practice for Camino, very flat country . My kid brother is walking with me this Camino he thinks it will be easy :)

Can you retire in your early fifties in Australia seems a bit premature.

Thanks for advice about this thread having been moved to another place. Where do I look?

Should be great in Malta for a break and having your brother will make next Camino really special. You can show him the ropes ! He'll love it .

Regarding my retirement age : Michael, you have an ability to make people laugh! But thank you for saying it .

Buen Camino
Annie

I bought lite weight micro fibre bath towel from mountain warehouse in Dublin its massive but lite.
Is that the shop in 'Blanchardstown SC? I may go there today and pick up 3. My daughters and I are a day ahead of you, but we may meet up as we are staying in Orisson on the eve of the 9th August. I'll keep any eye out for a 'northie' with a Dublin accent :))

Is that the shop in 'Blanchardstown SC? I may go there today and pick up 3. My daughters and I are a day ahead of you, but we may meet up as we are staying in Orisson on the eve of the 9th August. I'll keep any eye out for a 'northie' with a Dublin accent :))

Yes blanch, I still have my northie accent I am only 30 years here! never lose it. I might see you on way staying in sjpp on 9th Bellari .

Buen Camino Bunny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Could I ask how heavy your bag should be or any advise on what should be brought and not brought along for the camino?
I think the rule of thumb is around 6kg or no more than 10% of your body weight. Water and food Extra.

Yes blanch, I still have my northie accent I am only 30 years here! never lose it. I might see you on way staying in sjpp on 9th Bellari .

Buen Camino Bunny
We're staying at the Itzalpea (you're not dealing with muck here!) :)

Snobs are welcome on the Camino, no problem slumming it like yourselves.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Snobs are welcome on the Camino, no problem slumming it like yourselves.
Leaving next Tuesday 9th August starting walk 10th rucksac weight 7.5 kilos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Its amazing !!! "Come on you pyrenees do you worst!! I am ready for theese this time" :mad:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back