• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better safe than sorry

MeandIan

Time of past OR future Camino
May2018
In sharing this I think of all those people who have had to cancel, postpone or interrupt their Camino.
Three weeks ago we went to emergency department because Ian had chest pain. After blood tests and ECGs and repeated tests they couldn’t find anything and, because he had had a cold just before thought it was costochondritis. I thought it was pericarditis. But to be sure to be sure he was sent for a stress test. They found a ‘squiggle’ on the ECG so he was referred to a cardiologist. He saw the cardiologist Wednesday who booked him for an angiogram with possible stent depending on what they find. As an anaesthetic nurse I have been involved in many procedures and appreciate the risks. His surgery date is 26 April, our departure date is 29 April. Obviously we have to delay our plans.
Ian and I have always been pragmatic and would rather wait. We are grateful that it was diagnosed and treated before we left than after we started. And also we will now be in a controlled environment. If we are unable to leave by the end of May then we will go in September. The walk will always be there, the Camino is in each of us. I am reminded of my mother who always says ‘life is filled with disappointments, change and challenges. It’s not the fact that you face it that matters, it’s how you deal with it that defines you’.
So Buen Camino to everyone walking, to those whom we might have met and to those whom we now shall meet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish you both all the best. May your camino be fantastic.

Slightly irrelevant, I had an abnormal EKG in my annual physical two years ago, and my primary care physician was ready to send me to the cardiologist that day.

I took off my Fitbit and turned off my iPhone, and a second EKG was normal, and two since then have been the same.

The Bluetooth connection interferes with the EKG machine, but my doctor and Fitbit do not care. That sounds like the modern world, but be aware of the problem I had. Don't take electronic things at face value if you are in the connected generation!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So pleased for you that you found this out now and not while walking. Be it May or September it will be
a beautiful Camino. All the very best to the both of you....

It is so good to hear that Ian's condition was found, that treatment is highly likely to be smooth and straightforward, and that your plans had a small blip of interruption, but only a small disruption in the entire scheme of things.

I imagine that when you do start your Camino together, it will have a very special feeling and meaning for you the both of you. God bless you both, and my prayers and thoughts go with you. Buen Camino. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish you both all the best. May your camino be fantastic.

Slightly irrelevant, I had an abnormal EKG in my annual physical two years ago, and my primary care physician was ready to send me to the cardiologist that day.

I took off my Fitbit and turned off my iPhone, and a second EKG was normal, and two since then have been the same.

The Bluetooth connection interferes with the EKG machine, but my doctor and Fitbit do not care. That sounds like the modern world, but be aware of the problem I had. Don't take electronic things at face value if you are in the connected generation!
Thank you. In operating suites or ICUs there are requests to turn off mobile devices for that reason

It is so good to hear that Ian's condition was found, that treatment is highly likely to be smooth and straightforward, and that your plans had a small blip of interruption, but only a small disruption in the entire scheme of things.

I imagine that when you do start your Camino together, it will have a very special feeling and meaning for you the both of you. God bless you both, and my prayers and thoughts go with you. Buen Camino. :)
Thank you. We are grateful for the diagnosis and treatment at this stage. Even in the last few weeks there have been stories of pilgrims who have had their Caminos interrupted or those whom have died. Fortunately we are retiredish and we have taken out a comprehensive travel insurance at the time of booking our flights

A very useful reminder to us all to remember to take out or activate our travel insurance when we book our tickets, and not leave it to the last minute.

@MeandIan a curly ball thrown at you but you seem to have caught it admirably. I hope Ian recovers quickly and you will both soon be on track for your next camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All the best to both of you.
And your mother was a very wise "pilgrim"!!!

You have a great attitude, @MeandIan - all the very best to you both, and to Ian for his surgery and recovery. He is lucky your knowledge and experience made you suspect more than was originally diagnosed. I had to postpone my first Camino for unexpected surgery, but was on the way 7 months later. These things happen, and sometimes a delay can have unforeseen benefits in other ways. And what a great illustration of the value of organising travel insurance well before you travel!

Buen Camino to you both for this unplanned diversion on your Way!

...If we are unable to leave by the end of May then we will go in September. The walk will always be there, the Camino is in each of us. I am reminded of my mother who always says ‘life is filled with disappointments, change and challenges. It’s not the fact that you face it that matters, it’s how you deal with it that defines you’.
So Buen Camino to everyone walking, to those whom we might have met and to those whom we now shall meet.
Sorry to read about your setback - it might be a blessing in disguise as they say.
I too have a cardiac condition but that hasn't stopped me doing the Camino Francis and the Camino Portugal.
Two things;
Consider the weather June to August can be very hot especially on the Meseta. Shade is not abundant either. September is a lovely time to walk but there will be a lot of people walking then.
Remember it is your Camino. You pace yourself as you like. Rest when you want, walk as you want to walk. For example, I need lots of little rests up the hills but speed like a maniac down the hills
Good luck with your procedure. You will be in good hands

A very useful reminder to us all to remember to take out or activate our travel insurance when we book our tickets, and not leave it to the last minute.

@MeandIan a curly ball thrown at you but you seem to have caught it admirably. I hope Ian recovers quickly and you will both soon be on track for your next camino.
Thank you very much. I think that as you get older you get better at dealing with stuff

Santiago wants to you both. So, camino provided excellent care before commencing camino.

September is my favorite month to walk.

Get well soon.

Buen camino.
Thank you. We have to juggle our plans because we were trying to fit in a trip to South Africa for Christmas. Now we may be able to combine it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have a great attitude, @MeandIan - all the very best to you both, and to Ian for his surgery and recovery. He is lucky your knowledge and experience made you suspect more than was originally diagnosed. I had to postpone my first Camino for unexpected surgery, but was on the way 7 months later. These things happen, and sometimes a delay can have unforeseen benefits in other ways. And what a great illustration of the value of organising travel insurance well before you travel!

Buen Camino to you both for this unplanned diversion on your Way!

Thank you. Ian was so anal when he checked the policy and even paid for some additions. I’ll never again question his thoroughness. Maybe!

Sorry to read about your setback - it might be a blessing in disguise as they say.
I too have a cardiac condition but that hasn't stopped me doing the Camino Francis and the Camino Portugal.
Two things;
Consider the weather June to August can be very hot especially on the Meseta. Shade is not abundant either. September is a lovely time to walk but there will be a lot of people walking then.
Remember it is your Camino. You pace yourself as you like. Rest when you want, walk as you want to walk. For example, I need lots of little rests up the hills but speed like a maniac down the hills
Good luck with your procedure. You will be in good hands

Thank you. I’m like that as well. We must be siblings from different mothers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@MeandIan I'm sorry to hear this!
A mixed bag, isn't it?
Great that this got noticed when it did (before your camino!) and that you can check it out as soon as possible. And the timing? Before the camino is good. But before before would have been better!;)
But your attitude is super...you're right, the Camino isn't going anywhere, and you'll appreciate it even more having gone through this.
If there's one thing a health drama does is to bring even more gratitude for the times when everything is fine - because there's no guarantee of that and you never know when the next drama will happen.

@MeandIan I'm sorry to hear this!
A mixed bag, isn't it?
Great that this got noticed when it did (before your camino!) and that you can check it out as soon as possible. And the timing? Before the camino is good. But before before would have been better!;)
But your attitude is super...you're right, the Camino isn't going anywhere, and you'll appreciate it even more having gone through this.
If there's one thing a health drama does is to bring even more gratitude for the times when everything is fine - because there's no guarantee of that and you never know when the next drama will happen.
That is true. Because tomorrow is promised to no one

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In sharing this I think of all those people who have had to cancel, postpone or interrupt their Camino.
Three weeks ago we went to emergency department because Ian had chest pain. After blood tests and ECGs and repeated tests they couldn’t find anything and, because he had had a cold just before thought it was costochondritis. I thought it was pericarditis. But to be sure to be sure he was sent for a stress test. They found a ‘squiggle’ on the ECG so he was referred to a cardiologist. He saw the cardiologist Wednesday who booked him for an angiogram with possible stent depending on what they find. As an anaesthetic nurse I have been involved in many procedures and appreciate the risks. His surgery date is 26 April, our departure date is 29 April. Obviously we have to delay our plans.
Ian and I have always been pragmatic and would rather wait. We are grateful that it was diagnosed and treated before we left than after we started. And also we will now be in a controlled environment. If we are unable to leave by the end of May then we will go in September. The walk will always be there, the Camino is in each of us. I am reminded of my mother who always says ‘life is filled with disappointments, change and challenges. It’s not the fact that you face it that matters, it’s how you deal with it that defines you’.
Dear Meandlan,
So sorry to hear of your setback...
But this is just what it is.......a setback!
The Camino will happen for you both
And what luck you have had in finding out what the problem was BEFORE you started

Same thing happened to us last June.....on our first day!!
As we crossed the Pyrenees...Charlie developed a DVT....and later as we found out....multiple pulmonary emboli
Took the first flight home........yes ....we took a chance ....don't ask!!!!

I get goosebumps when I think of it now

I posted a thread in June re our "adventure" and so many of these great form members gave us so much encouragement

Sooo.......we are off again this June to do the San Salvidor

See.......just a setback!!!!

Best wishes
Annette

Hi MeandIan...thanks for sharing your story and best wishes for a speedy recovery Ian.
A disappointment but a reassurance that this happened at home before you left and you'll be off and racing in May or September.
I wish you a Buen Camino and Good Health

I am a firm believer that things always happen for a reason. You are right, the Camino has been there for a while now and will be there when Ian is happily recuperated! My first Camino was also in September, fabulous time to go! Get well fast Ian and Buen Camino to you both when you do go!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Three weeks ago we went to emergency department because Ian had chest pain. After blood tests and ECGs and repeated tests they couldn’t find anything and, because he had had a cold just before thought it was costochondritis. I thought it was pericarditis. But to be sure to be sure he was sent for a stress test. They found a ‘squiggle’ on the ECG so he was referred to a cardiologist. He saw the cardiologist Wednesday who booked him for an angiogram with possible stent depending on what they find. As an anaesthetic nurse I have been involved in many procedures and appreciate the risks. His surgery date is 26 April, our departure date is 29 April. Obviously we have to d

elay our plans.
Sorry for your disappointment- but better to be safe. The Camino WILL always be there and you both will walk again, right now you’re walking a different trail. Be strong, my prayers are with you. Buen Camino

Dear Meandlan,
So sorry to hear of your setback...
But this is just what it is.......a setback!
The Camino will happen for you both
And what luck you have had in finding out what the problem was BEFORE you started

Same thing happened to us last June.....on our first day!!
As we crossed the Pyrenees...Charlie developed a DVT....and later as we found out....multiple pulmonary emboli
Took the first flight home........yes ....we took a chance ....don't ask!!!!

I get goosebumps when I think of it now

I posted a thread in June re our "adventure" and so many of these great form members gave us so much encouragement

Sooo.......we are off again this June to do the San Salvidor

See.......just a setback!!!!

Best wishes
Annette
I remember reading about that and him wanting a cup of tea? That did encourage me as I told Ian your story. Did you have any problems regarding travel insurance after that?

Hi MeandIan...thanks for sharing your story and best wishes for a speedy recovery Ian.
A disappointment but a reassurance that this happened at home before you left and you'll be off and racing in May or September.
I wish you a Buen Camino and Good Health
Thank you

I am a firm believer that things always happen for a reason. You are right, the Camino has been there for a while now and will be there when Ian is happily recuperated! My first Camino was also in September, fabulous time to go! Get well fast Ian and Buen Camino to you both when you do go!
Thank you very much

Wise people you are. I hope everything will work out well!

I remember reading about that and him wanting a cup of tea? That did encourage me as I told Ian your story. Did you have any problems regarding travel insurance after that?
Hi Meandalin,
No problems with getting the travel insurance
Not sure where you are based but we went with Saga ..in the UK
An added premium however ,...which is normal because Charlie will now be on lifelong anti coagulants
He's as fit as a fiddle and we're back doing a lot of tough walking
Best wishes and good luck with your Camino
Annette

Sorry to hear about Ian's diagnosis but glad it's being looked after so quickly. Better to find out now rather than on the Camino. If you end up going in September, perhaps our paths will cross. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi Meandalin,
No problems with getting the travel insurance
Not sure where you are based but we went with Saga ..in the UK
An added premium however ,...which is normal because Charlie will now be on lifelong anti coagulants
He's as fit as a fiddle and we're back doing a lot of tough walking
Best wishes and good luck with your Camino
Annette
Thank you. That really puts me at ease. We are in Melbourne. When we were booking our flights I had you in mind and we took out a fully comprehensive insurance, not thinking about BEFORE,but rather during. And this came as a surprise because Ian is so healthy with textbook vitals. And he had no symptoms except mentioning one morning that he had been tight chested for a day. And we had walked 12k the previous day!

Sorry to hear about Ian's diagnosis but glad it's being looked after so quickly. Better to find out now rather than on the Camino. If you end up going in September, perhaps our paths will cross. Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thank you. From where we are sitting, it looks more practical to do it then

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope and pray that ian's surgery will go well and that you will both be on the Camino when he is fit and well enough again to enjoy the journey.

You and Ian will be there, no doubt. Prayers, Happy Easter, and Buen Camino! AND did you just make up a new word??? (Retiredish?? )

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My own experience (over the course of four Camino trips) is that the Camino has had a dramatic favorable impact on my heart. My hope is that Ian will have the same experience with his heart once he has healed from the surgery and is well enough to hike. My belief is that there is something -- some combination of the preparation, the hiking, the camaraderie, the focus, the ability to tap into one's spirituality and beliefs -- about the Camino that heals my heart the way nothing else can do.

While my heart has benefited from the Camino, I have faced other significant health issues on the Camino. As a result, I recommend that you do what you can to slow down, take a day off here and there, and really listen to your bodies.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I was diagnosed with a severely enlarged heart 12 years ago and was at high risk for sudden death. Nobody with my combination of diagnoses had survived without a heart transplant. Thanks to a brilliant cardiologist and my Caminos, I still have my original (somewhat imperfect) heart and it has healed significantly.

My own experience (over the course of four Camino trips) is that the Camino has had a dramatic favorable impact on my heart. My hope is that Ian will have the same experience with his heart once he has healed from the surgery and is well enough to hike. My belief is that there is something -- some combination of the preparation, the hiking, the camaraderie, the focus, the ability to tap into one's spirituality and beliefs -- about the Camino that heals my heart the way nothing else can do.

While my heart has benefited from the Camino, I have faced other significant health issues on the Camino. As a result, I recommend that you do what you can to slow down, take a day off here and there, and really listen to your bodies.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I was diagnosed with a severely enlarged heart 12 years ago and was at high risk for sudden death. Nobody with my combination of diagnoses had survived without a heart transplant. Thanks to a brilliant cardiologist and my Caminos, I still have my original (somewhat imperfect) heart and it has healed significantly.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Ian is a wonderfully pragmatic person who takes everything, good and bad with really good attitude. He knows his body and sometimes listens. His challenge will be to slow down when he feels good. In fact, he has never really felt unwell, except for the tightness in his chest

Ptayers for you both. Burn Camino!!!

Thank you so much everyone, for your support and well wishes. Ian is such a wonderful person. He doesn’t complain much, in fact, I’m the one who mentions all my aches (he calls it the chronicles of Hazel). So when he mentioned he had chest pain, I questioned the pain eg type, duration how long, he was just ‘don’t panic’. I said you’re going to hospital. He said I’m taking a shower first! So I thought ok, the ambulance will take 7 minutes, I’m sure I can do CPR for 7 minutes. I gave him an aspirin. When we got to the hospital and they wanted to give him aspirin, he said my wife already did. Then they questioned why he didn’t phone 000.
That’s the person he is. Doesn’t want fuss nor bother. But he does understand the gravity of the situation. He apologised to me for the delay of our plans! His angio is booked for the 26 May and we’ll know then where we stand. I will share the outcome and our new plans.

So thank you again for all the best wishes. We are inspired by the experiences of many. Ian is overwhelmed by the support and messages. I don’t know how I had the good fortune to have such a good person cross my path and share my journey. And make it our journey. Thank you husband.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I wish you both the best. I had my first procedure in 2002. Resolved by angiogram with stents. My second procedure came after a heart attack in 2014 again resolved by stents. In between those events I managed 2 Camino Francés and 1 Camino del Norte. Since the last I have completed 2 Portuguese, 1 English, another Francés and have walked to Fisterre after most of them. Of note was my Francés in 2014 just 4 months after my last heart event. All this to say it is likely that your plan for September is probably sound given a positive outcome from your procedure and the go ahead from your cardiologist.
If there is optional rehab after procedure I recommend enrolling. Its a true confidence builder just like seeing the cathedral as you enter SDC. Good luck and buen camino to you both.

I wish you both the best. I had my first procedure in 2002. Resolved by angiogram with stents. My second procedure came after a heart attack in 2014 again resolved by stents. In between those events I managed 2 Camino Francés and 1 Camino del Norte. Since the last I have completed 2 Portuguese, 1 English, another Francés and have walked to Fisterre after most of them. Of note was my Francés in 2014 just 4 months after my last heart event. All this to say it is likely that your plan for September is probably sound given a positive outcome from your procedure and the go ahead from your cardiologist.
If there is optional rehab after procedure I recommend enrolling. Its a true confidence builder just like seeing the cathedral as you enter SDC. Good luck and buen camino to you both.
Thank you very much. As well as for sharing your experience. It is such an encouragement

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How soon after your angio/stents were you able to walk for longer than 5-10k. And we’re y tired after your procedure and how long did it last. Thank you for your response

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back