• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better way into Almansa

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'm starting to scour the web for all the info I can find on the Camino de Levante.

I've found information on a better way to walk into Almansa. It requires leaving the Levante at a well-marked intersection.

What follows is my translation from the Spanish forum about how to take the better alternative into Almansa.

In the stage between La Font de la Figuera and Almansa, when you arrive at Casas del Campillo, because of construction for the A-31, you must cross the highway, then turn back (towards Alicante) until you reach a roundabout where you will turn back again, this time in the direction of Almansa, continuing on the camino marked as GR239. Going this way involves crossing the national highway twice, going through an industrial park, and walking 4 kms on a paved road. This route brings you into Almansa past its sewer plant.

But in that same roundabout, you can choose to follow the Camino signed by the yellow arrows of the Camino de la Lana, which will take you to Almansa on a better route, shorter and more comfortable than the one of the GR.

You can see a picture of the roundabout with its two alternatives marked on the Spanish forum: http://fsvr1.ibdinternet.com/read.php?6 ... msg-328324

Taking the option of the Camino de la Lana, you enter Almansa on the Calle Corredera, which takes you right next to the Santiago Church (a Franciscan church), which has a chapel and statue of Santiago. The primary entrance into town is on the other side, on the Calle San Francisco, parallel to the Calle Corredera, and it takes you right into the Parque de los Reyes Catolicos, with fountains, shade, benches. This area is full of bar. On the Calle de San Francisco, about 200 or 300 meters on, you’ll find the Convent of the Esclavas de Maria, which has a room with two beds for pilgrims (8 euros).

Hope this is of use to Levante pilgrims. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.