• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better way into Ponferrada?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Some (maybe most) people who walk the Olvidado want to detour off and go straight to Ponferrada on the last day rather than continuing on the official route, which joins the Francés at Cacabelos. I went all around the reservoir and then through some forest land, finally coming ito Columbrianos and then on to Ponferrada.

But I have read that there is a better, off-road way. This way involves going from Congosto to San Miguel, and there getting on the trail “Senda de los Canteros.” This is supposedly off-road, very pretty, and takes you right into Ponferrada. I found these wikiloc tracks, so all you have to do is find your way from Congosto to where the trail starts, which is about 4 km. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Hope someone gives it a shot! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyone thinking of walking both the Olvidado and the Invierno needs to bookmark this post! (Done.)
Thanks Laurie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for posting this info I think it will make a big difference for many of us headed to the Olvidado. I see wikiloc has a number of entries on this trail some are hiker listed and others for mountain biking. They have some nice pictures posted and it looks beautiful. Looks like local hiking clubs start at the pilgrim albergue in Ponferrada and do it as a loop. They rate it 5 stars! Looks well signed as well. I'm just wondering since this was first posted has anyone done it that can give us a report.
Frank

I included this variant in my olvidado guide from 2018. look towards the end of the text where there are two variants, one directly to ponferrada and one via santo tomas de las ollas.
unfortunately I walked the main road in 2012 because I didn't know this lovely path existed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back