• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Between Irache and Luquin

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The attached photo shows a view from the alternative route from Irache to Los Arcos via Luquin. You can see the castle of San Esteban de Deyo on top of the hill above Villamayor de Monjardin. Can you tell me what looks like a monolith is on the left of the photo? Any details - when was it erected? why? height?1-DSCN0259.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What a great puzzle this is! Is the built up area in the centerr of your view Urbiola? Have you tried "walking" the alternate with your fingers to see all possible views?

Here are our two pictures of the same monolith taken this year in May, 2022.
497CA365-95F0-4881-B4B1-62D190779FC2.jpeg
The second looking back at it. About 30 minutes apart.
E3FD3E93-CDF2-432A-B468-8F26B50886E0.jpeg
We really enjoyed walking the alternate route to Los Arcos via Luquin. A small number of pilgrims went the same way. The views were wonderful.
But we can’t help to identify the monolith, sorry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dang, not aliens after all. Here is a summary of what it is, pasted from another travel site:

I found someone who knows. One of the residents of Villamayor de Monjardín was three years old when it was built in 1948. It was a gravity water tower that has since been replaced by pumps.
There is a spring on Montejurra, a mountain some distance away. They actually ran pipes down into the valley and up this hill to a tank that is no longer in or on the tower. The base of the tower is the same altitude as Villamayor de Monjardín, so the residents no longer had to carry water in or truck it. The resident I spoke to owns a vineyard close to Azqueta, so he occasionally had to go up to the tower, which provided his irrigation as well as the running water to Igúzquiza, Azqueta, and Villamayor de Monjardín.
He was not sure what year the Mancomunidad de Montejurra built the current water system that taps into many other springs and rivers to serve a much bigger region. But that's when the tower stopped being used, and the access roads were reclaimed by local agriculture (which is why it is no longer easy to get to). The villages of Azqueta and Villamayor de Monjardín are now supplied by a pump somewhere near autovía A-10.

And here is the original post, with some up close and interior photos of the structure:

here is the original post, with some up close and interior photos of the structure
As I can see on that website, it was our very own forum member @WGroleau who posted this information about the water tower and the close-up photos.

So it was actually @WGroleau who found a local person who knew, and who also walked to the tower to have a look at it.

As far as I remember from earlier posts, he was a long-term hospitalero at the pilgrim albergue in Villamayor de Monjardin which is only a few kilometres away from the tower.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a great puzzle this is! Is the built up area in the centerr of your view Urbiola? Have you tried "walking" the alternate with your fingers to see all possible views?
No, the buit-up area is Villamayor de Monjardín. Streetview didn't follow the alternate route, and, even if it had done, it would only show views similar to mine, since the alternative camino does not go near the 'monolith'. However, the main question has been answered, together with one of the minor ones (date? - 1948).

No, the buit-up area is Villamayor de Monjardín. Streetview didn't follow the alternate route, and, even if it had done, it would only show views similar to mine, since the alternative camino does not go near the 'monolith'. However, the main question has been answered, together with one of the minor ones (date? - 1948).
Our friend said 1948, but since he was three years old that year, he might be a few years off.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back