• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Between Villafranca M de O and San Juan de Ortega

pvh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 hopefully
Hello,

We are continuing our camino this year and I'm planning stages and hoping to walk Belorado to San Juan de Ortega. However, I'm looking at the profile and the section from Villafranca Montes do Oca and San Juan de Ortega looks to have quite a climb to it and also looks like 12 km without a cafe/shop/drinking fountain. Am I correct in this assumption or is there a caravan/temporary stall or something selling refreshments on this section between Villafranca and San Juan? If not I'll obviously need to plan accordingly.
Many thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The clìmb is not difficult. However there are neither permanent services nor potable water along the path. You must be prepared.

In winter the SJO albergue is closed, as is the casa rural and the nearby bar. When the bar is open their plate of blood pudding and eggs is great! Do try it.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi pvh -
I walked through this area earlier this week. I concur with mspath that the climb isn’t difficult. I walked with Spot, my hiking trailer and all was fine. There was a guy selling drinks and snacks and doing physio for a donativo around 5kms from San Juan de Ortega but as mspath has advised, there’s no guarantee that anyone will be on the path to sell refreshments between Villafranca and San Juan de Ortega.
There is a very good tienda in Villafranca with a friendly and helpful owner on the left hand side of the road before you get to the church. I recommend you stock up with food there.
The albergue in Villafranca - San Anton Abad is wonderful, if you decide to stop in Villafranca overnight. Roomy dorm with single beds and chest height partitions for privacy - lockers - for 10 euros and a fantastic pilgrim menu for 13 euros plus cute resident dogs who love to have their tummies rubbed! Absolutely spotless. I’d be back there in a heartbeat!
There is a monument to the fallen from the Spanish Civil War between these two towns. Make sure you stop to view both the monument and the mass grave where the bodies were found. It’s profoundly moving. There’s a lot of forest on this stage - enjoy the tranquility as you walk on this quiet, ancient and magical path.
Buen Camino and take joy in every step.
Edit - An additional thought - make sure you have enough money to last a few days before you leave Belorado. ATMs are in the main plaza. I couldn’t find an ATM in Villafranca and had to break into my emergency money before I was able to restock with funds at an ATM in Burgos.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
San Anton Abad is a three star hotel with a wonderful spacey pilgrims albergue around the side - the owner walked to Santiago years ago. The pilgrims menu is served in the hotel's marvelous dining room early - the Spanish hotel guests preferring to eat much later. Years ago I really wanted to stop at San Juan de Ortega arrived to late for the garlic soup the priest had passed away but in time for the overpowering perfume radiating from the place, a generations of mold plus mildew - I walked on to Ages. Hopefully they have cleaned and fumigated the place since then.

I left Belorado at 5:20 am and arrived at San Juan de Ortega a little after 10 am. It's not a difficult walk at all but I do remember that it was quite windy (6 May 2017) and chilly but I had water and nibbles with me. I don't recall any shops or cafés along the way, just rolling hills full of pine and oak with thickets of broom and the light purple flowers of blooming heather. When I stayed at San Juan in 2001 it was rather dilapidated and I ended up sleeping on the kitchen floor since all the beds were taken. Father Alonso served us his homemade garlic soup. There might have been 20 of us.

Since I had already stayed at San Juan I kept walking and almost stopped in Agés (which was abandoned in 2001) but the weather was perfect for walking and I continued on to Burgos, arriving there late in the afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't take the river route but rather went through the industrial wasteland of suburban Burgos.

In any event, just leave Belorado with water and nibbles and you'll be fine. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

We are continuing our camino this year and I'm planning stages and hoping to walk Belorado to San Juan de Ortega. However, I'm looking at the profile and the section from Villafranca Montes do Oca and San Juan de Ortega looks to have quite a climb to it and also looks like 12 km without a cafe/shop/drinking fountain. Am I correct in this assumption or is there a caravan/temporary stall or something selling refreshments on this section between Villafranca and San Juan? If not I'll obviously need to plan accordingly.
Many thanks

Its 12km so 2 hours walking but take some water. Easy even in January in Snow

The climb out of Villafranca Montes de Oca is slow and easy (especially if you've crossed the Route Napoleon to Roncesvalles) and, shortly after the Monumento fusilados Guerra Civil (Civil War memorial) there will probably be an ad hoc refreshment stall selling cold drinks, fruit etc. Even if there isn't, it's only 12 km to San Juan de Ortega, so about 3 hours' walking. ( I think, with respect, that 2 hours is a bit optimistic.) I really enjoyed this part of the Camino, mainly through pine forest, with some far-reaching views.

However It is not ALWAYS easy to walk in snow ! Here is my blog of February 25, 26, 2006, written in Villafranca re a famous snowstorm twelve years ago.

"By the time I trekked 10 k to Villafranca Montes de Oca the Camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. After lunch in a truck stop, I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door and one dormitory were open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!

About 9 pm. the front door banged open followed by steps up the stairs. Resembling snow-covered yetis, two pilgrims stood at the foot of my bunk! One guy was French, the other Brazilian. We introduced ourselves and shared many cups of hot tea....Early in the morning the Frenchman left. Outside was a winter wonderland. The snow continued to fall. Bundling up for the storm plastic bags over socks served as makeshift gaiters. Outside the snow reached mid-shin. No trail could be seen; only a few markers affixed to trees were apparent. Walking was treacherous. At a road crossing the Brazilian and I were intercepted by the Guarda Civil in a four-wheel drive. Firmly stating that our lives were imperiled the police insisted on us returning to the albergue. ...By mid-morning the next day the storm was over and we went on to Burgos."

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Wow, you walk fast!

When we walked through in 2016 there was an "Oasis" in the middle of the woods between Villafranca and San Juan de Ortega. You can't miss it, not only because of the signs advertising its presence kilometres before you reach it. There are lots of colourful carved wooden poles and things and flowers. There are places to rest. When we passed through, that's all there was but I've seen in other people's photos and videos that a donativo refreshment stand sometimes operates out of that location. I'm not sure of the hours, though (or if it is still there).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back