• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beware and be afraid - The champion snorer is on the Camino

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Yes folks , get those heavy duty ear plugs NOW!! Yet again some poor souls will be whimpering though lack of sleep and making those funny lizard clicks. The Camino Frances is about to be rocked!!If you see a short , rotund , middle aged man that has a passion for vino tinto - move along to the next Albergue. :mrgreen:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nope.

I will pay YOU lots of money to move along to the next albergue. :wink:

Play your snores right and you could be the first peregrino who returns home with more money than you set out with :!:

True story.....we stayed at a private albergue in Triacastella. Upon entering the room at about 4 PM, we were greeted to the sounds of some very loud snoring. As luck would have it, I was assigned to the bunk abutting his, head to head. This same gentleman woke up about 5:30, went to have dinner, and was back in bed and snoring by 7:30. He literally snored all night long, keeping most of the room awake. Next day we arrived in Sarria, and, as you guessed, we walked into the room and the same man was in bed and snoring like the night before, exact same scenario. He was traveling with his daughter who told us "that's what they make ear plugs for!" Fortunately, other than outside of the church in Portomarin, we didn't cross paths with him again.

We did stay in one albergue (Santo Domingo?) where they had a special room for snorers, but other than that, you are on your own! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Somehow I find it a little disconcerting that a "champion snorer" posts a joke about it. I understand that snoring happens and that the snorer has little control....but it is not amusing to others if it keeps us awake when we need sleep.
It is one thing to snore and yet another to make light of it to others...or am I wrong. :shock:

The CSJ refugio at Rabanal has a snorer's room.

grayland said:
Somehow I find it a little disconcerting that a "champion snorer" posts a joke about it. I understand that snoring happens and that the snorer has little control....but it is not amusing to others if it keeps us awake when we need sleep.
It is one thing to snore and yet another to make light of it to others...or am I wrong. :shock:

Yes you are probably wrong. .............or I am perhaps a smidgen conceited? :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am on occasional snorer, and one night in a small albergue (can't remember exactly where at the moment), I was apparently rocking the house pretty good. My friend in the bunk underneath me was chainsawing logs, as well. At one point, I was awoken by a woman shaking my shoulder. I told her, "I think it's Tom," because I had heard him snoring very loudly earlier that night. The woman said, "It's both of you ... in symphony!"

From experience on my Camino, I believe that, at one time or another, everyone snores. I'll take snorers over people who get up at 5 o'clock anytime!

On my 1998 pilgrimage, I heard about a group of young American women in the old dormitory at Roncesvalles.

They couldn't sleep because of the snoring and so whenever somebody snored one of them got up to shake the snorer to stop.

Between the snorers and the noise of the ladies getting up, no one got any sleep that night.

When chided the next morning they apologised and explained that this was the first time they had ever slept in a room with another person. At home they all had their own bedrooms.

They simply couldn't cope.

I guess it was the days before sleep-overs (which anyway is probably the most misnamed entertainment in the known universe).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was in a 6 bunk room and 5 of those were occupied by 3 adorable round elderly Spaniards and 2 tall robust Austrians; all had snorer written on their foreheads, before bed time 2 of them looked at me apologetically and regretfully informed me I will have problem sleeping because they both snore, bunk bed rattling loud...and one of them gave me a box of earplugs... which was very sweet.... and true to their word, they both snored and so did the other spanish gentleman.... i was surrounded on all sides by snorers but amazingly i slept fine.... I don't have any problems with snorers, it can't be controlled ironically what keeps me awake are the people who are so annoyed at the snoring that they flop and flip on their beds because they are frustrated and wind up making bigger ruckus than the snorers.

CaminoGen said:
From experience on my Camino, I believe that, at one time or another, everyone snores. I'll take snorers over people who get up at 5 o'clock anytime!

I'll echo that sentiment 100%. I don't snore but I just treat it as a background noise..it's consistent.

Getting up in the darkness however is very inconsistent with nature. Note to all the early-risers - no matter how quiet you try to be/think you are you WILL wake up virtually all the other pilgrims. If you are hppy doing that then carry on

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The CSJ refugio at Rabanal has a snorer's room.
Sorry to disagree! I have been a hospitalera at Refugio Guacelmo, and it is true there is a small room apart from the main dormitory - but I had never, never been told it was for snoorers and it wasn't mentioned during our training, neither in our "manual". It is a room kept for emmergencies and we used it 12 times in 18 days for the bed-bug victims, plus on another couple of occasions for pilgrims with medical problems. It is also set aside for the day of arrival for the incoming hospitaleros. So, please don't rely on this room for snoorers!! Anne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anne, then I blame the hospitalero who in 2004 at Rabanal told me that if there was nobody ill then that's what they used it for.

I stand corrected but plead disinformation!

They will probably say that I misunderstood or that my memory is faulty!! :wink:

Thank you for clarifying that.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Anne, then I blame the hospitalero who in 2004 at Rabanal told me that if there was nobody ill then that's what they used it for..

Don't worry! Times have changed! I don't think that there were nearly so many bedbugs travelling the Camino back in 2004! (However, I bet there were just as many snoorers, so the spare room was put to good use when necessary)! Anne

Anne, I am delighted to say that in 2004 the issue of bed bugs didn't even arise.

However, in 2004 the room was used. As I walked towards Rabanal I met a couple who were walking with wild flowers in their rucksack. With a smile on my face I asked the German lady why they had added more weight to their rucksack?

It is our 25th wedding anniversary! And you spend it on the Camino? Yes, we had a big wedding and our 50th will be big also, but our 25th we spend together on the Camino.

I said I'm sorry that I don't have a card for you. Then I remembered that I had brought with me a number of small, decorated crosses from El Salvador. I gave them one as an anniversary present. The lady promptly gave it to her Spanish husband who popped it round his neck. The look of delight on their faces will remain with me forever.

Later, I saw the lady packing up her gear from her bunk in Rabanal. With a mischevous twinkle in her eye she told me that the wardens had found out it was their 25th wedding anniversary and they were going to be occupying the small room. Unless anyone ill turned up they would have it to themselves.

They did. Probably the happiest use it has ever been put to. It should be part of Rabanal folk law.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with AlanB. I find snoring acceptable and easily dealt with (earplugs). Snoring is not a deliberate act. On the other hand, I have all kinds of issues with the 5:00am risers packing everything away in plastic bags. I refer to them as noise terrorists. A very controllable action.

Ultreya,
Joe

I am an occasional snorer myself, and I have also suffered bad nights due to other snorers on the Camino. What I can´t understand is why people complain so much and blame the snorers. It is an INVOLUNTARY act, for heaven´s sake. If you want cheap accommodation which involves sharing a room with other people, that´s the risk you take, so suck it up. If it really bothers you then why not stay in a hostal?
Sandra :arrow:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On my first Camino in 2006, there was a woman from Chile who had her own cure for snorers. She would LOUDLY yap or make funny noises at them. She annoyed us more than the snorers! :evil:

I am one of those unfortunate people who cannot sleep through noise, so sometimes the best thing for me is to get a private room or sleep in my tent.

The funny thing is... sometimes I wake MYSELF up snoring! :lol:

I'm with the group who are more annoyed by the early rising plastic bag rustlers. :p

I guess one could ask; why does God allow snoring? That might lead to the question; why does God allow suffering?

I'm afraid one can't win on this issue.
A few years ago, when lining up to register at the Ponferrada albergue (rooms with 2 literas - 4 people), we had a couple in front of us with whom we had already shared a sleepless night before, and asked the hospitalero to have mercy on us!
So another couple was dedicated to share a room with us, and ... we had another sleepless night.
Tough luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is one thing to snore and yet another to make light of it to others...or am I wrong.

What makes you think you're the only person there who needs sleep?

There's absolutely nothing the snorer can do about it. I'm conscious that I snore badly so when I'm in dormitories I deliberately try to stay awake for longer to allow everyone else to drop off. I then get woken up at 0500 by the plastic bag noise terrorists. So I get less sleep. Is that fair?

I don't see any reason why us "champion snorers" can't joke about it. Would you prefer we hid in shame and never mentioned our dreadful affliction? The Camino is meant to teach tolerance and compassion. I'd suggest you book yourself private rooms wherever you travel, invest in earplugs, or lighten up, because if you choose sleep in a dormitory someone is going to do something to annoy you.

[/quote] The Camino is meant to teach tolerance and compassion. I'd suggest you book yourself private rooms wherever you travel, invest in earplugs, or lighten up, because if you choose sleep in a dormitory someone is going to do something to annoy you.[/quote]

Gee...thanks for enlightening us as to what "The Camino is meant to teach..." I must have missed that. I didn't realize that some had the correct answer to what the Camino is meant for the rest of us. :roll:

I completely understand the snorers plight and know they are not at fault. However, I just don'think that it is amusing...just a part of the Camino.

Really no need to make silly suggestions as to where I can sleep.

I am with you grayland - I don´t think is funny at all. And I am one of those who pack and leave (in case of many snorers in my dormitory) at 4 o´clock in the morning hurrying up to the next albergue and sleep all afternoon...I am not looking for silence just some rest at nights.
annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
YES WE ALL NON- SNORERS - DO LIKE THIS: after a sleepless night get an early start at 4 and do your next etapa maybe 25- 30 k half asleep like a nightwalker and get your bed when the albergue opens at 1 o´clock noon. And SLEEP many nice hours in the afternoon before the snorers catch you...and you will be ready for the next night with the champions!!!

I also am not a huge fan of snorers, accept it as a part of the Camino, and I DID wear earplugs. Even with the fancy earplugs I had, there were some audio pitches that came right on through and I couldn't sleep. It is what it is. I know that when I was going through hospitalero training, we had the opportunity to "create" our perfect albergue. Our small group, as well as the other small group both had "snoring" rooms! :) I doubt we will be able to do that when we actually serve in October, but if it's possible, we might try it and see if it works. Either way, snorers, along with people getting up at the crack of dawn are all a part of the Camino experience. :)

At one particular albergue with a large somewhat crowded open sleeping room, morning rolled around and the talk among everyone was of the loud symphany of snorers throughout the night. A noteworthy observation: the people who most complained in the morning were people who themselves snored loudest. Amazingly enough some of those complainers seemed to have no clue just how much they added to the concert.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
markss said:
Amazingly enough some of those complainers seemed to have no clue just how much they added to the concert.
In Atapuerca we shared a room with a couple who told us that they did not snore.
They were surprised to learn the next the morning that they had put up a snoring competition :oops:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
anniethenurse said:
I am with you grayland - I don´t think is funny at all. And I am one of those who pack and leave (in case of many snorers in my dormitory) at 4 o´clock in the morning hurrying up to the next albergue and sleep all afternoon...I am not looking for silence just some rest at nights.
annie

Well it needs no Rocket Science to work out that if you sleep all afternoon , that you may just not be able to sleep through the night as well? :mrgreen:
And I have to tiptoe around you all in the afternoon when I arrive at the Albergue - most of us sleep at night . :mrgreen:

Live and let live...
I do not snore and I'm no" plastic bag rustling type" but I do need to go to the toilet twice a night so I sincerely apologize to everyone who I accidentally awake ( hmm awaoken? ) in any of the albergues en route.
Peace!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
anniethenurse said:
YES WE ALL NON- SNORERS - DO LIKE THIS: after a sleepless night get an early start at 4 and do your next etapa maybe 25- 30 k half asleep like a nightwalker and get your bed when the albergue opens at 1 o´clock noon. And SLEEP many nice hours in the afternoon before the snorers catch you...and you will be ready for the next night with the champions!!!

Sounds like a vicious circle.I know that if I have a kip in the afternoon then I am less likely to feel tired come lights out time

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back