• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beware B4 Booking Motion Chueca Hstl Madrid!

sandykayak

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (2017)
I would appreciate tips on booking hostels online. I arrive in Madrid on June 2 and due to numerous complications, I only tried to reserve yesterday.

My first choice (The Hat) had no availability so I started to feel panicky. Via Booking.com I picked Motion Chueca Hostel. One bunk in a 6-bed, female only room was $176 for 4 nights. (I see they advertise here for $13-something).

I spent an inordinate amount of time registering. Their system is weird. I couldn't find a simple way to enter my date of birth. All i could do was go back month-by-month and year-by-year...and I was born in the 1940s. I should have given up but am new at online booking.

When I clicked "book" I remember seeing "non-refundable " but was terrified of having nowhere affordable to stay.

As i went back to google to book for my last nights, I saw reviews of Motion Chueca hostel. The vast majority of very recent ones were awful. Main complaints were terrible service, non-working heating/air conditioning systems, cramped rooms, bunks pushed against and blocking the windows, and BED BUGS. To top it off,
it's in the heart of the Chueca gay district. (My son is gay so no homophobia here-just not where I'd choose to stay.)

Within 10-15 mins I had found another place and tried to cancel. They refuse to agree to my request.

For $1 the second reservation can be changed/canceled.

What would YOU do? I've booked four nights and hate to stay somewhere that sounds bad and the loss of $176 at the
beginning of my one-month trip is huge. I also hate to let them get away with it. This i a terrible policy for accommodations

I called my credit card company but the $15
or so deposit hadn't gone through yet. Mmmm i just remember that it said they didn't accept online payment. I guess I was supposed to pay in cash upon arrival.

Does anyone know if the charge is by Booking.com or the hostel? I guess i can call my credit card company again and refuse the charges BUT they did have "non-refundable" on the site. I guess they could sue me??

I certainly feel that it is not a good idea for this forum to accept advertising from this hostel. People change reservations for numerous reasons.

I did send the property an email but they say to allow 48 hours for a reply but it looks as
if they replied via Booking.com. I haven't clicked on either option. Don't know what to do???

Buyer beware

<<Thank you for contacting Booking.com.

We approached Motion Chueca on your behalf to request the cancellation of your reservation. We are sorry to report that they are unable to make an exception in this case, and will charge the entire cancellation fee.

Please share your response with us by selecting one of these options:

Don't cancel my reservation.
I accept the charges. Please cancel my reservation.
Your reservation is still live and will remain so unless you cancel it. If you decide to cancel, you'll receive a confirmation email with more details shortly.

For any questions, you can contact the property at +34913483081 or send them an email.>>

Copyright © 1996–2017 Booking.com. All rights reserved.

Home | FAQ

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is bad luck. It is normal for some rooms on booking.com to be non refundable and you do need to look carefully before you commit. I suggest you do not cancel, since you wont get your money back anyhow (if you dont turn up they will charge the credit card you provided to booking.com). You could go, have a look... check carefully for bedbugs under your mattress... if they have bedbugs, i bet they wont charge you for leaving! On the other hand, it mightn't be too bad and will make future albergues seem luxurious in comparison!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By the way... i have found booking.com very easy to use... eg you only have to enter your credit card details once, they have lots of reviews and pictures of accommodations and the site is clear. They also seem to have the widest variety of accommodations. otherwise you could just download an app eg "camino pilgrim" and use the numbers they provide to phone the next albergue the day before. I have used both methods and really prefer booking.com. Some people dont book at all and just rock up to an albergue or hotel hoping for the best. when they are fully booked, staff at albergues always help you to source an alternative. if you accept that in a busy town you may very occasionally need to shell out ~25 to 50 euros for a private room, then you will be fine... you'll always get a bed!

When I clicked "book" I remember seeing "non-refundable " but was terrified of having nowhere affordable to stay.
You made a hasty purchase online. By all means, follow the instructions to attempt to cancel (including contacting the hostel) but I think you need to accept that you made a bad purchase. Either stay there or eat the cost.

I also hate to let them get away with it. This i a terrible policy for accommodations
I disagree. They are not "getting away" with anything. Their policy is very normal (if you want flexible reservations, you can usually pay a few more dollars, but sometimes not), and it was clearly stated.

I certainly feel that it is not a good idea for this forum to accept advertising from this hostel. People change reservations for numerous reasons.
As far as I know, this forum does not accept advertising from this hostel. Yes, people change reservations for numerous reasons and that is why businesses need to have clear policies of their own, and some protection against risks of cancellations.

I sympathize with your quandary, and your current "panic." However, you have named a business and said very bad things about it, based on second-hand reviews and your own mistake. I don't think this is fair.

Also, isn't the cancellation fee typically just the cost of the first night only? @sandykayak should check this - the fine print on booking.com should say. That would not be so bad, and would be entirely reasonable.

I still think it is not appropriate to be reporting second-hand reviews of a random hostel here. When I looked, the reviews were quite mixed - maybe not the highest recommended hostel in Madrid, but many people were satisfied. My point is not to decide whether I want to stay there, but to show that the quick judgement is as unwise as the hasty booking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would appreciate tips on booking hostels online. I arrive in Madrid on June 2 and due to numerous complications, I only tried to reserve yesterday.

My first choice (The Hat) had no availability so I started to feel panicky. Via Booking.com I picked Motion Chueca Hostel. One bunk in a 6-bed, female only room was $176 for 4 nights. (I see they advertise here for $13-something).

I spent an inordinate amount of time registering. Their system is weird. I couldn't find a simple way to enter my date of birth. All i could do was go back month-by-month and year-by-year...and I was born in the 1940s. I should have given up but am new at online booking.

As i went back to google to book for my last nights, I saw reviews of Motion Chueca hostel. The vast majority of very recent ones were awful. Main complaints were terrible service, non-working heating/air conditioning systems, cramped rooms, bunks pushed against and blocking the windows, and BED BUGS. To top it off,
it's in the heart of the Chueca gay district. (My son is gay so no homophobia here-just not where I'd choose to stay.)

Within 10-15 mins I had found another place and tried to cancel. They refuse to agree to my request.

What would YOU do? I've booked four nights and hate to stay somewhere that sounds bad and the loss of $176 at the
beginning of my one-month trip is huge. I also hate to let them get away with it. This i a terrible policy for accommodations

or so deposit hadn't gone through yet. Mmmm i just remember that it said they didn't accept online payment. I guess I was supposed to pay in cash upon arrival.

Does anyone know if the charge is by Booking.com or the hostel? I guess i can call my credit card company again and refuse the charges BUT they did have "non-refundable" on the site. I guess they could sue me??

I did send the property an email but they say to allow 48 hours for a reply but it looks as
if they replied via Booking.com. I haven't clicked on either option. Don't know what to do???

Buyer beware

We approached Motion Chueca on your behalf to request the cancellation of your reservation. We are sorry to report that they are unable to make an exception in this case, and will charge the entire cancellation fee.

Your reservation is still live and will remain so unless you cancel it. If you decide to cancel, you'll receive a confirmation email with more details shortly.

For any questions, you can contact the property at +34913483081 or send them an email.>>

Home | FAQ
Sorry to hear about your situation, but thanks for the warning. I would also contact booking.com again and explain that if this hostel is the type of business that they do business with, then you would prefer not to use booking.com in the future. I personally won't use booking.com again. As the saying goes. " You only get one chance to make a first impression". Also remind them that your friends and family might think the same.
You might get no good from them but you have let them know what you think.
On a lighter note, I hope you enjoy your trip.

I don't understand what they did wrong. The cancellation policy was stated and normal; they applied it. Hotels all have limits and conditions on their reservations.
I'm confused too but I think the issue is advertising a 13 $ bed and getting charged 44. But maybe it is a private room instead of a bunk in a 6 bunk room. Something is weird.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1. You can see advertizements on here that have nothing to do with the Forum if you are not donating to avoid the ads. These are put up by your search engine cookies (ie. Google) not by the forum.
2. I just logged into my booking.com account and put in dates 2June-6June and was offered a bunk in a 6-bed female dorm for $140 with breakfast--nonrefundable. So your $176 for booking earlier is not a bad deal. It is one of the cheapest places in Madrid!
3. For a hostel, they have pretty good reviews. 6.8 on about 350 reviews. Lots of the low reviews on a hostel come from people who just price shopped for the cheapest without knowing what a hostel is like!!
4. booking.com is not an inordinately difficult website to register with. And now that you are registered, you may find great use along the Camino to find more private accommodations. Even Gronze has many links to booking.com

In conclusion, I would say all is well and that your expectations were set wrong by some ad slipped onto the side of the Forum pages by Google/Amazon/Microsoft etc based on some earlier search for lodgings in Madrid. Welcome to the business model that supports our 'free' web.

Buen Camino

It has 2 dire reviews in Spanish on Trip Advisor. One says it smells of sewers! The other one says there are hooligans drinking and kids running and screaming everywhere. Strange then how it does well on Booking.com's reviews. Its website is half finished, with placeholder text. Facebook shows some horrific reviews https://www.facebook.com/pg/motionhostels/reviews/ which are so bad I would cut my losses and not stay there.

It has 2 dire reviews in Spanish on Trip Advisor. One says it smells of sewers! The other one says there are hooligans drinking and kids running and screaming everywhere. Strange then how it does well on Booking.com's reviews. Its website is half finished, with placeholder text. Facebook shows some horrific reviews https://www.facebook.com/pg/motionhostels/reviews/ which are so bad I would cut my losses and not stay there.
I don't think this forum is the place to analyse second-hand reviews of any accommodation, especially to trash them. If anyone wants to read those reviews, they should go to the source.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@C clearly sure but the OP had just been offered reassurance by @alhartman that it is fine. It is not fine, and in fact reading the reviews on Facebook, this place sounds actually dangerous. Also the OP appears to be inexperienced in using the internet and hoping that we can somehow work 'trail magic' (whatever that is) to solve the problem.

Based on a quick trawl of the available evidence I am happy to stick my neck out and say that I would not stay at this accommodation. I would cancel through Booking.com and accept the cancellation charge, which is probably the first night charge and not the whole 4 nights. My conscience can stand the idea of trashing a big business rip off of a hostel in Madrid. It's not some mom and pop albergue.

CClearly is correct--check the source and make your own decision. FWIW only 2 reviews, both bad on TripAdvisor vs 347 on booking.com.
And everyone who has a bad experience almost always puts in bad reviews. People with neutral or positive experiences, review much less often.

This Forum does not have an accommodation review section or process. That niche is taken by yelp, TripAdvisor, booking.com, hotels.com etc.

Since you appear to be locked in by the non-cancell nature, I hope you find that all turns out well. My guess is that you have done quite well for a budget traveler!

Buen camino

Now, now! Let's get back to the issue at hand. The University of Life Lessons is a very good education, but it isn't without its tuition.

Learning to navigate hotel-booking online needs a bit of practice, but if I were the OP, I'd get that son helping you out a bit.

Not sure where you live, but you sound like my dad used to sound before I got him coached up.

If it were me, I'd cancel the credit card and cut my losses. That's just me, though.

Get someone sitting down with you, and for heaven's sake, don't worry about a bed. Do get someone sitting with you and helping you through the booking process. That's the best magic I can pull out of my hat for you tonight.

Now, now! Let's get back to the issue at hand. The University of Life Lessons is a very good education, but it isn't without its tuition.

Learning to navigate hotel-booking online needs a bit of practice, but if I were the OP, I'd get that son helping you out a bit.

Not sure where you live, but you sound like my dad used to sound before I got him coached up.

If it were me, I'd cancel the credit card and cut my losses. That's just me, though.

Get someone sitting down with you, and for heaven's sake, don't worry about a bed. Do get someone sitting with you and helping you through the booking process. That's the best magic I can pull out of my hat for you tonight.

As always your hat seems to have the best magic possible :). I already said it but will repeat : your are a wise woman @CaminoDebrita

Buyer beware

Home | FAQ
Hi sorry to hear of your predicament, I have been staying at the same place for over 10 years also booked on line booking. The place I stay at is Hostal Puerta del Sol right in the square of Puerta del Sol, yes it does cater to gays but exclusive many str. couples and families stay there. It serve a breakfast in the morning . They advertise that it's a four star place , but trust me it's a friendly and safe place the owner speaks English and is very helpful..so next time try this place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am going to give general advice on how to tell if a place is dodgy or not, on the internet. Please feel free to add your own comments, I may have missed something important.

Look at reviews on booking.com AND on Trip Advisor, and anywhere else it is reviewed. Look at the hostel's own website and Facebook page and other social media.

Do there seem to be strange discrepancies from one place to another in the number of reviews and what people are saying ? Is there the number of reviews you would expect for a similar place that has been open a similar length of time? Facebook is much harder to fake reviews on because on Facebook people post under their real name, and you can click to see if they really exist and are active on Facebook or not. Do that with a sample of the reviews.

A normal lively active city hostel with a Facebook page is likely to make posts themselves of photos of people enjoying themselves. Does it look like they do that? Most people running successful businesses are very possessive about their social media, and take time to post and maintain it. Or does the social media look neglected or weird in some way?

Could the Facebook page have been set up by a competitor? Search to see if there is more than one for the same establishment, one of which looks more genuine /active than others. Do the social media links from the website link through to the Facebook page and Twitter account you are expecting, or to other ones?

Does the website look strange in some way, e.g. unfinished? With generic or library looking photos? With placeholder text? This is NOT normal, professional people making websites do NOT put up half finished ones. Is the website poorly maintained with out of date info, or is it oddly bland looking, like the person designing it never went to the place?

Try out my advice on the place in question and make up your own mind if you would stay there.

Last edited:
I also look at the content of the reviews. Are all the positive reviews very generic and 'cut and paste', and all the negative ones very specific about details and incidents? Or vice versa?

For a hostel in a big city you would expect reviews in several languages, especially on Trip Advisor. If there are suspiciously few reviews, it could be that the profile has been deleted and re created. I don't necessarily value booking.com reviews higher. There may have been a discount or incentive offered for a good review.

I do get suspicious of bad websites and social media especially for any establishment that pitches itself at a young demographic. If they can't make a simple website, they probably can't maintain their electrics and elevator either. Not amusing or endearing, just incompetent.

Another bed booking/review resource is hostelworld.com. Basically just for the budget traveler using hostels. I have found it very useful for large gateway cities like Paris, London, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Santiago, etc. But just devoted to hostels. Not terribly useful for cities when walking the Camino.
I believe that one can only review a hostel when you have actually stayed there booking thru them--similar to booking.com.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all the input. I admitted it was my fault because i did see non-refundable but I panicked because I leave on June 1st.

My warning was not to book with a non-refundable place because you never know why u might want to change dates (they wouldn't do that either) or cancel (and they are charging the full amount.) I'd accept a one-night penalty. And it is $176 for 4 nights in a 6-bunk female dorm.

I booked the second one via hostelworld and it's a lot cheaper. Still don't know whether to take my chances or the $$$ loss.

I had to return home recently from my VDLP from Salamanca and trying to find accommodation in Madrid over a fiesta weekend panicked me. I ended up paying 300 Euros for two nights in a hostal with many bad reviews. I only read them after I had booked and paid.
However it was central,clean and had Wifi so I just had to suck it up!

300 for TWO nights!! I've been charged $182 ($176 plus conversion fees I imagine) so I'm going to suck it up and hope for the best.

Online booking requires capturing all your personal and card info before you find out whether it's non-refundable. Then you'd have to find the name of the place. Search for reviews and then go back to Booking.com to find the place again. Learning experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
300 for TWO nights!! I've been charged $182 ($176 plus conversion fees I imagine) so I'm going to suck it up and hope for the best.

Online booking requires capturing all your personal and card info before you find out whether it's non-refundable. Then you'd have to find the name of the place. Search for reviews and then go back to Booking.com to find the place again. Learning experience.
I'm sorry, that's simply not true, at least not on any booking site I've used. Whether the rate offers free cancelation or not is always indicated before you click "buy".

On booking.com you do not need to log in or give any of your details to see which ones offer free cancellation - just search on a location and date and scroll down the list of options and on the right hand side under the price for each hotel it says it in green letters if it is offered. A hotel can offer free cancellation sometimes, but not at peak times, so there is also a tick box you can use on the left hand side to restrict your search to only places that offer free cancellation on the dates you have selected.

Screen shot of a sample search I did for 2 weeks in Granada without being logged in:

booking.jpeg

My friend,who speaks Spanish phoned the Hostal direct. We had already tried a few and they were full .
When this person said he had a dble room with ensuite I thought I had better take it as I had been told there was a lot on in Madrid that weekend. He asked for my credit card details and told me I couldn't cancel. 300 for 2 nights. Anyway my choice to get home that weekend!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm back (in Miami) after 4 weeks sightseeing in Spain. That was my first attempt at Booking.com and I was worried that I wouldn't find anything. I did see "non refundable " as I clicked Book. It was my fault. Still I don't like that non-refundable MO.

Motion Chueca wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. They charged me €104 for a bunk in a 6-bunk room for the Saturday that Real Madrid played even tho they weren't playing in Madrid.

Fortunately there were €20, 13 and 11 nights in the 4-day period (plus €2/day for breakfasts), which brought it down to ab €40/night. Their system is programmed to jack up the prices as soon as it starts filling up. The breakfast is included but is billed separately because bed rates fluctuate.

I stayed another 3 or 4 nights because it was so easy to do day trips from Madrid. I asked to stay another night but it was a Saturday and the price was going to be €60. (I used that money for the (fabulous) bullet train (AVA) to Córdoba where I stayed at the lovely May Flowers Hostel for ab €23-25. (Haven't had a chance to review my trip charges)

In general, and when possible, it's best to book weekdays in major cities and weekends in smaller towns to get the best rates.

The breakfasts at Motion Chueca were awful.
Toast, muffins, and corn flakes. Coffee and juice machines. I tried twice and then gave up. I got one tea and instant oatmeal out of the electric coil I had ordered from Amazon that burned itself. (Although it said 220v I think it might have been 110v cos it had the US 2-prong blades. I searched to buy locally but the two I found in hardware stores were HUGE. )

The room was fine, a bit cramped but freshly painted. Ensuite bathroom was great. Real negative was only 3 lockers for 6 beds and no lights in inner "hallway." I reported and the manager came to look but nothing happened and I was there a week.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Large common area had plenty of tables and chairs but no comfy seating anywhere to hang out.

The front dorms were noisy. I was at the back and it was quiet at night. Families are allowed in private rooms. Two afternoons I could hear the kids playing in the inner courtyard. Not good for siestas.

One major change was the inauguration of a
bar that has outside seating in the inner courtyard. They will allow the public to use the bar. I was concerned about safety but was told it would not be an issue. It was noisy. I made an effort during the whole trip to adjust to night time noises and only used my ear plugs twice.

I went there because The Hat (highly recommend) was full. I was later told that the same happened to someone and he said the same thing I did.

To end on a positive note, the location was fabulous. Thanks to gay gentrification the "boho chic"'area is so alive. It's close to the Gran Via stops of the yellow Busvision tour buses, Callao Metro, la Puerta del Sol (huge hub for Sol metro, tour buses, and ad hoc stages for special events (Real Madrid soccer celebrations and Gay Pride week while I was there).

Note that the Plaza where Motion Chueca is located had a name change within the last year and does not appear on older maps. (Sorry. Notebook not handy now)

(I'm think of writing a really cheap ($1-2) kindle book about my experiences. I need to research on the how but any advice appreciated at sandykayak@yahoo.com. In the end I did the Camino Inglés from A Coruña to SDC by BUS! One whole HOUR! But I'm going to walk El Caminito de Santiago en Caracas on July 15. I'll start a new thread about this.)

... Motion Chueca wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. They charged me €104 for a bunk in a 6-bunk room for the Saturday that Real Madrid played even tho they weren't playing in Madrid.

That sounds like you booked, accidentally, the whole room - a bunk bed certainly doesn't cost €104/night in Spain.
Buen Camino, SY

Nope. I have the breakdown/invoice. They told me that they charged €124 PER BUNK in the 14-bunk dorms during special events. €60 was for an ordinary Saturday in a 6-bunk female dorm. Whatever the market will bear.

I don't recommend Motion Chueca. Don't like their business practices.

Nope. I have the breakdown/invoice. They told me that they charged €124 PER BUNK in the 14-bunk dorms during special events. €60 was for an ordinary Saturday in a 6-bunk female dorm. Whatever the market will bear.

I don't recommend Motion Chueca. Don't like their business practices.

Doesn't make sense, sorry.
'€60 was for an ordinary Saturday in a 6-bunk female dorm.' That is way, but way out of line of normal Spanish hostel prices.

SY

PRECISELY. it doesn't have to make sense. It is what it is. Gouging. Couldn't find the breakdown invoice in the first bundle of papers I looked but here's the booking for the first four days.
And (I repeat) it was something like €20, 104, 13, 11 plus €8 for 4 breakfasts and, I imagine, some IVA (tax).

Motion Chueca
3 Plaza de Pedro Zerolo, 01.Centro, Madrid, 28004, Spain - Show directions
Phone: +34913483081
Email property

raw
Get the print version
Your reservation 4 nights, 1 dorm bed
Check-in Friday, June 2, 2017 (from 2:00 PM)
Check-out Tuesday, June 6, 2017 (until 11:00 AM)
Cancellation cost
  • From now on: € 160
This reservation can't be canceled free of charge.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didn't go back. I just stayed longer.

Your figures come to €132 + 8 for breakfasts = €140. My bill was €160. If you add €104, 20, 14, and 12 it's 150 plus 8 for breakfasts it comes to €158. This is rounding out the .99s. Not sure if IVA was extra or included.

Looks as if I'll HAVE to find the invoice before people will believe me

We used Airbnb to find an apartment in Madrid for three nights, and it was great - in a perfect location between the major museums. Also very affordable when shared. It is worth checking when accommodation in hostels and hotels are busy. I also used Airbnb to find a little apartment for myself for three days in Zamora when I was struck down with plantar fasciitis and needed treatment. Much cheaper than any of the hotels, with the benefit of a kitchen, washing machine, and a very helpful host who stocked the place with some basic stuff like olive oil, tea, coffee (and washing powder). You pay upfront, so there are risks, but so far my experiences (I've used it in other places in Europe too) have been good. I always seek out a "whole house", not just a room, but others may feel comfortable with sharing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back