• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beware da Brasa Restaurant Albergaria a Velha

Walton

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
This restaurant is located 200 metres from Alburgue de Perigrinos, Albergaria-a-Velha
We were charged 24 euros for a 12 euro menu del dia meal. Feeling very ripped off.
Lesson learned is always get a receipt. No receipt was offered so have no proof.
The Alburgue is quite annoyed so karma will come to pass when they warn people to avoid this particular restaurant.
All over, there are people that will exploit others but on the overwhelmingly positive side is the Portuguese people who have stopped their car to give us bottles of water, fruit and who have waved and tooted their car horns.
They really do welcome Pilgrims.
If you are walking the Portuguese Camino, and are near Albergaria a Velha, give this restaurant a wide miss.
The Alburgue is lovely though.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess we don't know for sure if the problem the OP reports was that two people wanted to share one meal, but that's what it was, it could be a problem anywhere it seems to me. I have been to places in Portugal where the portions were so big that my husband and I shared a dish without any problem, but it wasn't a menú del día. I have never had a problem with a restaurant in Portugal trying to "rip me off," but cab drivers is a different story.

This could be a simple misunderstanding, which as we all know, is easy for it to happen when we are not speaking the same language (or even when we do). Not sure there is a need to boycott this place for that reason. Now, if the wine poor, them forget the place. :)

Chris

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are often "hidden" charges in Portugal compared to Spain.
Bread and butter, though delivered to your table with your meal, is not free.
Coffee, another charge.
Wine, another.
You must be very clear about ASKING, if you are on a tight budget.
In general, I find the Portuguese to be honest, kind people.
But then I'm Portuguese :p

After walking in Spain, where (free) tapas are common, I was surprised when I discovered how much it could cost to touch all the extras brought to your table in Portugal. Particularly the little cheeses tend to cost a lot!

(I have seen the same dish of mushrooms being carried, uncovered, from table to table the whole evening, which put this germ-conscious public health worker off eating anything like that.)

But the waiters are not offended when I just smile and ask them to remove these extra dishes.

I do seem to remember that many of the restaurants along the Camino do not allow you (or at least do not want you to) share one meal. Often, it was in Spanish fine print on the menu. I can understand it since I was always amazed at the food that you get for 12 euros. It's not gourmet fare, but it's as good as you normally eat anywhere else. Maybe it was just after walking 15 or 20 miles, I'd probably eat the table cloth if provided with enough sauce.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps using the term 'be aware' instead of 'beware'...the entire context is changed. People will continue to visit the restaurant, especially if the food is good, and will know to wave off all the extras (or take them) and to ask for (or insist) a reciept when paying.
I found the Portuguese people to be warm, generous and welcoming. Never had any issues with bad service or feeling ripped off.
Perhaps a return to the Camino Portuguese for another walk? Wait a few months and I'll go with you!

Last edited:
Did you ask at the time when you paid the bill for 24 Euros?

Sounds like you paid for two 12 Euro meals. If you were both planning to eat one meal, it would be best to check in advance that it would be acceptable.

We shared one meal. In hindsight, we should have ordered two meals. No, these were not menu del Dias. It was an a la carte menu item.

Next time, I will ask the restaurant to call the police so I can make a complaint before opening my purse. Lesson learned.

In all of Portugal this was the only time we were taken advantage of - Spain? Well that is another new topic.

Last edited:
I have eaten there and the place did not make it to my map.
Best Regards,
caminhomap.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back