• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Beware of a man in outskirts of Aviles near Salinas!!!

Icetea

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello All,
I wish I would share more positive post , but today I was assaulted by a young man literally on the entrance of a small passage through the little forested bit . I am adding a a screenshot of exact location .There is a way on Buen Camino app which is marked red at exact same spot ,rather choose that one through Salinas town. Local guy who helped me to deal with police etc suggested to take a route through Salinas not a yellow one "official"
Long story short-- I entered a passage you will see on a map screenshot and before that I kind of half second saw a man in and out of the forest ,my first fought was he was just peeing and checking if nobody sees him. I turned there couple of min later with no bad thoughts and maybe 50-100 meters later the guy kind of stopped me with trousers semi down I ignored him and just passed then turned back and his trousers were down and he was doing his business . I just walked and he shouted smth and then I ran as for my life , got out of that little forest and 10 min later met a local who actually spoke English stayed with me called the police , I reported it and police got me further on the Camino because I was freaked out and still am.
Stage name-- Aviles--Muros de Nalon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-122409.png
    Screenshot_20210714-122409.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 213
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m terribly sorry to hear your news. This kind of thing is very uncommon, but it has happened in the past. I hope you’re OK.

It would be understandable if you want to put this behind you and get on with your Camino -and your life - but if you’re able to assist the police in any way as they investigate it will be of great help to those who come after you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m terribly sorry to hear your news. This kind of thing is very uncommon, but it has happened in the past. I hope you’re OK.

It would be understandable if you want to put this behind you and get on with your Camino -and your life - but if you’re able to assist the police in any way as they investigate it will be of great help to those who come after you.
Thanks so much for a reply and support , I basically done everything I could , police " will look into it" at least I reported they are aware that shit happens... I red more threads in this forum about this type of stuff I wasn't aware of it as I done safely Portuguese Camino before Covid ( well there were always more people around than now )

I'm so sorry this happened to you @Icetea, and thank you for reporting it here. It's important that
you talked to the police, and got local help.
Any normal person would be freaked out, so take care of yourself tenderly.
May you be safe and protected, peregrina...
Thank you some much , I will try to get over it asap still getting it out of my system :)

Thank you some much , I will try to get over it asap still getting it out of my system :)
You are a brave one, thinking of other’s safety when you have just endured such an experience. I join others who thank and wish you a lovely journey for the remainder of your Camino. Ultreia!❤️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All,
I wish I would share more positive post , but today I was assaulted by a young man literally on the entrance of a small passage through the little forested bit . I am adding a a screenshot of exact location .There is a way on Buen Camino app which is marked red at exact same spot ,rather choose that one through Salinas town. Local guy who helped me to deal with police etc suggested to take a route through Salinas not a yellow one "official"
Long story short-- I entered a passage you will see on a map screenshot and before that I kind of half second saw a man in and out of the forest ,my first fought was he was just peeing and checking if nobody sees him. I turned there couple of min later with no bad thoughts and maybe 50-100 meters later the guy kind of stopped me with trousers semi down I ignored him and just passed then turned back and his trousers were down and he was doing his business . I just walked and he shouted smth and then I ran as for my life , got out of that little forest and 10 min later met a local who actually spoke English stayed with me called the police , I reported it and police got me further on the Camino because I was freaked out and still am.
Please download the following app:

If you are ever in trouble again, like what happened with this horrible man, (in this situation of course it happened way to quickly). or you are injured, or feel unsafe or lost you can activate the app and talk to an English speaking law enforcement person. They will help you and if needed dispatch the necessary help that you may need. As the father of two beautiful young women I feel so angry that this happened. There are plenty of dads on the Camino who would be more than happy in fact really happy to help young (and older) women. We are always dads and always instinctually want to protect our girls. I hope you have a better day today and even a better one tomorrow. Buen Camino

Hello All,

🙏🏾😥🙏🏽

Glad you reported it and you are not letting this stop you.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello All,

Só sorry for you especially since I finished my Portuguese Camino a few days ago and am back home .. so frightening ..! I walked alone must off time and sometimes it just crossed my mind of what will I do if I met this kind of weirdo .. run for my life as you did for sure but what else? Very brave if you to go on with your Camino
Sending you strong thoughts this share with all the women of the Camino and you f any age !

By reporting this to the local law enforcement and providing a detailed description of the offender, the incident, and the location where it occurred you are/have assisted not only law enforcement in apprehending this person, but may have assisted in deterring someone else from being assaulted.
There's no telling if this person has victimized before your incident and your information could be the missing piece(s) of the puzzle to apprehend him down the line. Glad to hear you are doing better.
Good job !
Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All,
So sorry to hear about this incident. Have heard of similar incidents in the past but luckily they are far and few between. Thank you for reporting this to the police although that must also have been a bad experience for you to having relive it again. Our prayers are with you for speedy inner calm and peace and a wonderful Camino.

Sorry to hear of your incident on the Camino. I tend to walk in a bubble, trusting everyone while walking the Camino in Spain. This reminds me to be diligent while walking - sadly no matter where I am on this planet.
Be well- Your perseverance will continue to shine.

So sorry you had to endure something so negative and nasty. Hope you can put it behind you and carry on. My one and only bad experience with someone trying to victimize me on a Camino was in a short stretch that ran through some woods of sort, on the Portuguese a few days out of Porto.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello All,
You did everything right! In a small town like that one, news will get around and the locals will deal with that person because the police were involved. Their presence would have attracted attention.

So sorry
Hello All,
So sorry you had this experience and hope you feel ok to continue, it's such a shame for someone to stop you doing what you have probably wanted to do for a long time. I think it's a rare thing so hopefully highly unlikely to happen again, but very unnerving.
Take care and bon Camino.

Hello @Icetea,

I echo the concern and support so many others have posted here. And on behalf of all pilgrims, thanks for reporting the incident.

These incidents are not unheard of on the Camino. In fact, several years ago, the moderators developed kind of a formula response when women reported things like this. At that time, many women were just too freaked out or worried that their Spanish wasn’t good enough, or just wanting to get on with the Camino, and didn’t report.

The police take these incidents very seriously and are actively involved in trying to stop them. There may have been a lull because of the empty trails for the last year and a half, but now that traffic is icreasing, I think we can expect to hear about more. I can think of several cases in which the perpetrators were identified and measures taken, so I think the best we can do is report, report, report.

Really hoping that you can resume the camino with joy and enthusiasm! Buen camino, Laurie

NOTE FROM IVAR AND THE MODS:

Our goal is to repeat this statement: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...women-on-the-camino-tips-from-the-mods.47474/ every time an incident is mentioned here on the forum.

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, program the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police.

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately.

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.