• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beware of Crocs .

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
Forgive me I couldn't resist the over dramatic title . Crocs the shoes not Crocs the Crocodiles

It was 45'C at the farm the other day , so hot , I saw a local dog chasing a cat , both were walking :)
My mankey old Crocs that I keep next to the door for quick trips outside had been baking in the sun for an hour or two , it was four in the afternoon , the hottest part of the day. I needed to visit the generator room, so barefooted I slipped them on without thinking of where they had been . Within moments the tops of my feet were burning , kicking them off didn't work , they had stuck and were searing my skin . Luckily a water barrel I keep filled for visiting Native animals was close by and I was able to douse my feet in this . No real harm done , though I now have a slightly sprained foot and very tender skin , probably enough to have to quit walking for a few days at least .
So given that so many use Crocs as alternative footwear in Spain and that Spanish temperatures rival our own , I would recommend some caution when leaving these beasties in the sun , the plastic they are made from gets incredibly hot and seems to store that heat for ages . Even after dunking in the relatively frigid water of the barrel they still felt warm for a minute later .
I wouldn't have wanted something like this to occur on a Camino , I'm glad I take Tevas

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Forgive me I couldn't resist the over dramatic title . Crocs the shoes not Crocs the Crocodiles

It was 45'C at the farm the other day , so hot , I saw a local dog chasing a cat , both were walking :)
My mankey old Crocs that I keep next to the door for quick trips outside had been baking in the sun for an hour or two , it was four in the afternoon , the hottest part of the day. I needed to visit the generator room, so barefooted I slipped them on without thinking of where they had been . Within moments the tops of my feet were burning , kicking them off didn't work , they had stuck and were searing my skin . Luckily a water barrel I keep filled for visiting Native animals was close by and I was able to douse my feet in this . No real harm done , though I now have a slightly sprained foot and very tender skin , probably enough to have to quit walking for a few days at least .
So given that so many use Crocs as alternative footwear in Spain and that Spanish temperatures rival our own , I would recommend some caution when leaving these beasties in the sun , the plastic they are made from gets incredibly hot and seems to store that heat for ages . Even after dunking in the relatively frigid water of the barrel they still felt warm for a minute later .
I wouldn't have wanted something like this to occur on a Camino , I'm glad I take Tevas
Crocs are great, but if you leave them in the sun they shrink and if it is really hot you have problems as above. I just keep mine in my pack or wear them. Can't think of a single situation where one might leave them out in the sun on any of my caminos....

Careful with Tevas in the sun either! Remember they are black and can get really hot, too 😉

You know it’s hot in NZ when “the heatwave” makes headline news every day for a week. I’m so glad the rest of the world has no reason to be watching us (and laughing hysterically) - our top temperature in Auckland has been 29 so far;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Meanwhile in Central West Florida, USA it’s pretty Cold 39/58F (4/14C). I actually have a Jacket and socks on :eek: even my Palm trees are cold 🌴

I feel you, fellow Aussies. I'm just near the Snowy Mountains and it's 40 around here.
Another thing to be careful of is the metallic trekking poles, that also get hot in the sun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hold on a moment folks,

You know nothing!!!!!!!!!! Nothing I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in the UK, in some areas, we had more than 5cm of snow, but not more than 10 cm.

Help us please, our country is grinding to a halt, or, so the media tells us.

:rolleyes:
:D:D:D

You know it’s hot in NZ when “the heatwave” makes headline news every day for a week. I’m so glad the rest of the world has no reason to be watching us (and laughing hysterically) - our top temperature in Auckland has been 29 so far;-)
Auckland weather is won-der-ful if.... you live in Wellington :D;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

The main topic on French TV/radio today: NOT the social unrest, NOT Brexit.... NOT anything else of a dramatic kind happening in the world....
Something much more important: a few centimetres of snow in Paris and the suburbs :D:D:D

That was our minimum last week!!!

Those in the Midwest of the US, are suffering from cold as low as - 32°c!

I agree - the "deep freeze" forecast is even making our news here in Oz. Minus 40C or F (its the same) is bloody cold. You folks in mid-West and up to the Canadian border - keep warm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

When putting on my cross on my third day into the Camino one of my toenails got caught in a hole and ripped up. Three days later it was purple and swollen. I trimmed the nail back and blood spurt out. I squeezed it out best I could and then taped it down. It finally fell off about ten days later.

My Croc's were a life saver on my second Camino. Before I saw the light and permanently ditched hiking boots, my feet were in a bad way with blisters.
I either had to stop walking or try something else.
So I doubled up my socks and walked 20 kilometers in my Croc's that day. The following day I walked 30 kilometers in them before I finally hit a town large enough for a shoe store. Bought some runners, and threw away my hiking boots.
My original Croc's have been on four of my five Camino's. And this same pair will be going back to Spain this March for Camino number six.
As to the hot Croc issue, not a problem ever in northern Alberta, particularly now with our current -35C weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What you need is more coal fired air conditioning. What could go wrong?

You Auckland and Wellington Kiwis and your always trying to out-do each other. Last week in Feilding we had three days at 31c and 33c. This was just right to go out with my 6kg pack and do 20k in training for the Camino in June and July this year.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.