• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beware the dog in Poladura de la Tercia!

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
There is a large black dog in Poladura de la Tercia. Walking out of the village at about 8 in the morning there was a man with a wheelbarrow and this dog coming towards me on the opposite side of the road. The dog barked a lot at seeing me. After we had passed each other he ran back behind me and bit my calf! The man said nothing, just ignored me and carried on. So just a word of warning to beware of this brute (the dog).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gee Al, that's no good. Are you back in the UK.

Last edited:
Al, that is incredible! John got attacked by that dog. It bit him on his ankle, luckily through his boot. It then kept coming and growling. We had to shout at it, and wave sticks. Meanwhile the owner completely ignored us. John was really shocked afterwards, and it took a while of walking to calm down.... Maybe we should have posted a warning here..... ! Hope you enjoyed the Salvador though.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, Al, what a tale. We met a couple of very friendly and mellow dogs in the same village. It wasn't this one, was it?
Dan

P1060532.JPG

Jose, guardian angel of this unbelievable camino (I bet quite of few of you know him by now), is aware of this now, and he is going to let the local authorities know about this painful issue. Hopefully something will be done.

One more reason to have a long staff with you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Al, that is incredible! John got attacked by that dog. It bit him on his ankle, luckily through his boot. It then kept coming and growling. We had to shout at it, and wave sticks. Meanwhile the owner completely ignored us. John was really shocked afterwards, and it took a while of walking to calm down.... Maybe we should have posted a warning here..... ! Hope you enjoyed the Salvador though.
Yikes!! Didn't know that this had happened to John. Scary experience for you both!

Jose, guardian angel of this unbelievable camino (I bet quite of few of you know him by now), is aware of this now, and he is going to let the local authorities know about this painful issue. Hopefully something will be done.

One more reason to have a long staff with you!

Amancio, this is great news. But I think that most of us here on the forum know Jose as Ender, so for anyone who is keeping track, we now have one more thing to thank Ender for -- metal arrows/conch shells, guidebook, cross at the high point, bridge into Poladura -- and now, following up on the biting dogs issue!

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
indeed, the same one, the one and only Ender, I never know whether I should refer to him as Ender or as Jose, but you all knew inmediately who I was talking about.

If everything turns out all right, I might be in Poladura in a few days, I am looking forward to walking to Arbás again, the time I was there, I was under a snow blizzard and saw very little of the way. This time, with my wife and daughter.

To me, there is something about Poladura...

For me there was a special moment when I got to the Parajes pass and saw the sign "Asturias". I have travelled to many parts of Spain but had never been to Asturias. The views on the descent were breath takingA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back