• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beyond excited!!

ChrisMartin0609

Time of past OR future Camino
Afternoon all, after planning my first Camino for a couple of years I've now finally booked my transport to SJPDP. On 22 April this year I'm travelling by Eurostar to Paris and then onto SJPDP by train via Bayonne arriving the same day. 2 nights booked in St Jean then walk to Roncesvalles on 24 April. As I say I'm beyond excited and as my wife is fed up of me talking about it I thought I'd tell someone else!! Hope to meet some of you on the Camino cheers Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds like a great way to start your Camino! Cheers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Afternoon all, after planning my first Camino for a couple of years I've now finally booked my transport to SJPDP. On 22 April this year I'm travelling by Eurostar to Paris and then onto SJPDP by train via Bayonne arriving the same day. 2 nights booked in St Jean then walk to Roncesvalles on 24 April. As I say I'm beyond excited and as my wife is fed up of me talking about it I thought I'd tell someone else!! Hope to meet some of you on the Camino cheers Chris
Hi Chris! Yes my husband and I will be departing SJPDP on April 23rd and we are feeling the same! There is a good chance we will run into you en route! We just woke up and about to go for our training walk now as I see your message!
Lynda and Rob

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you are getting off! I am myself planning my next walk, sometime in late April-ish.

I have many Caminos under my belt (69 yrs old soon), so I am quite relaxed, but I can still remember my excitement back in 2009, lying in my bed in the Pamplona albergue, and for some reason whispering to myself "Thank you, God, I am ready to go!".

FWIW:

Have no fear: You will be surprised how well it all will work out. You are starting out in unchartered territory, but you will soon get the hang of it:

Week 1: All is new! How far can I walk? Is there food/drink on the way? Will I be all by myself? Will I find a bed?

Week 2: You are stronger: Walking is easy. You are confident enough to visit the (frequent) cafes for a coffee, or a cold beer in the warmth. Fixing a bed is unproblematic. You understand how things work. You know it's perfectly doable. You have most likely met people who walk at same pace, so each time you see them, they are old friends to you, and you share a hug/beer/meal, and exchange experiences. Some of them may become your dear friends for life, even if separated by oceans. You may decide to make a communal dinner with them in the albergue kitchen.

From then on, you're your own boss, and you will handle anything.

Week 3: You stumble upon other firsttimers, and help them fixing blisters, beds ahead, etc. You have entered "zen" mode, and you simply walk, eat, sleep, repeat. You are a "professional".

Be humble and open to others. "Do to others what you want others to do to you". Give, and you will receive more than you give. It almost never fails. Most people are worth joining, and a**holes you (may/may not) encounter, will eventually get what they deserve, anyway.

Don't rush it: Many pilgrims have their worst day when entering Santiago, realising that their walk/adventure is over... Remember: The Way is the goal.

Week/Year X: Start planning for the next one, sitting in your TV chair... Stay low about it towards your wife: I am for now... :cool:

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Chris! Yes my husband and I will be departing SJPDP on April 23rd and we are feeling the same! There is a good chance we will run into you en route! We just woke up and about to go for our training walk now as I see your message!
Lynda and Rob
Hi Lynda and Rob good luck with your training and I loo forward to seeing you on the CF. Buen Camino!! Chris

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you are getting off! I am myself planning my next walk, sometime in late April-ish.

I have many Caminos under my belt (69 yrs old soon), so I am quite relaxed, but I can still remember my excitement back in 2009, lying in my bed in the Pamplona albergue, and for some reason whispering to myself "Thank you, God, I am ready to go!".

FWIW:

Have no fear: You will be surprised how well it all will work out. You are starting out in unchartered territory, but you will soon get the hang of it:

Week 1: All is new! How far can I walk? Is there food/drink on the way? Will I be all by myself? Will I find a bed?

Week 2: You are stronger: Walking is easy. You are confident enough to visit the (frequent) cafes for a coffee, or a cold beer in the warmth. Fixing a bed is unproblematic. You understand how things work. You know it's perfectly doable. You have most likely met people who walk at same pace, so each time you see them, they are old friends to you, and you share a hug/beer/meal, and exchange experiences. Some of them may become your dear friends for life, even if separated by oceans. You may decide to make a communal dinner with them in the albergue kitchen.

From then on, you're your own boss, and you will handle anything.

Week 3: You stumble upon other firsttimers, and help them fixing blisters, beds ahead, etc. You have entered "zen" mode, and you simply walk, eat, sleep, repeat. You are a "professional".

Be humble and open to others. "Do to others what you want others to do to you". Give, and you will receive more than you give. It almost never fails. Most people are worth joining, and a**holes you (may/may not) encounter, will eventually get what they deserve, anyway.

Don't rush it: Many pilgrims have their worst day when entering Santiago, realising that their walk/adventure is over... Remember: The Way is the goal.

Week/Year X: Start planning for the next one, sitting in your TV chair... Stay low about it towards your wife: I am for now... :cool:

Buen Camino!
Hi Alex that is so inspiring - I'm even more excited now!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alex that is so inspiring - I'm even more excited now!!!
About being .generous and sharing:

In El Burgo Ranero municipal albergue one afternoon, years ago, I made myself a soup w/choriso, chick peas, wine & bread (bought for a total of 6 Euros in the local tienda (food store)), when a 2 m. high skinhead, all muscles and tattoos, walked into the room. Scary guy. However, I had plenty more food than I could eat, so I asked him if he wanted some soup, wine and bread. He looked puzzled at me and accepted. I guess he didn't expect to be treated that way, giving his appearance. Then he left.

Next morning, when I entered the village of Ledigos (it is a long walk from El Burgo with nothing in between), I heard someone shouting from a cafe: "Hey Alex, come over here!!".

It turned out to be yesterday's skinhead: He was sitting together with 9 other similar, if not more frightening tattooed, muscled skinheads, all Spanish, and he insisted on buying me a beer. When I finished it, the gang was arguing amongst them who was next in line for buying me a beer. My newfound friend had obviously told them about my giveway supper the day before, so they kind of adopted me into their group. It became a wonderful morning with 10 newfound friends. Good guys.

Imagine, today, I could well be living as a Spanish skinhead with lots of friends taking care of me... :cool:

Be good, share if you can, and don't judge a dog by its hairs.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back