• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beyond Grief - My Next Steps Camino

Michael-FL

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)
Hello Pereginos. I took the plunge and bought my airline tickets for the Camino Frances, commencing 17 April 2020 at St Jean Pied de Port. I lost my dear wife to an eight year struggle with Younger Onset Alzheimer's Disease two weeks ago. Call me crazy, but maybe it's grief that has compelled me to embark on this journey after eight years of caregiving. I am walking the Camino in her honor, so in a sense, she'll be walking with me. Along the way, I hope to process what all has happened, take time to reflect and pray, and hopefully meet some wonderful people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Pereginos. I took the plunge and bought my airline tickets for the Camino Frances, commencing 17 April 2020 at St Jean Pied de Port. I lost my dear wife to an eight year struggle with Younger Onset Alzheimer's Disease two weeks ago. Call me crazy, but maybe it's grief that has compelled me to embark on this journey after eight years of caregiving. I am walking the Camino in her honor, so in a sense, she'll be walking with me. Along the way, I hope to process what all has happened, take time to reflect and pray, and hopefully meet some wonderful people.
The best to you on this journey, my condolences I had a dear mother who also died of this disease. May this Camino be one of great joy and renewal.

Oh my!

So sorry to hear this.

Walking the camino should help with the healing process.

You can PM Laurie @peregrina2000, and ask to be added to Caregivers thread; if you so desire.

May Santiago guide your footsteps.

Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Michael, I offer my condolences on your loss. Walking a pilgrimage in her honor is a wonderful tribute, and I cannot wish you enough warm wishes and thoughts as you proceed. My prayers are with you, amigo.

If your Camino plans include a Compostela, you may know that your wife's name can be placed on the document by request, if you state that you are walking the Camino for her.

If there is anything that you think I or anyone else can help with, please let us know.

Dave

Michael, I offer my condolences on your loss. Walking a pilgrimage in her honor is a wonderful tribute, and I cannot wish you enough warm wishes and thoughts as you proceed. My prayers are with you, amigo.

If your Camino plans include a Compostela, you may know that your wife's name can be placed on the document by request, if you state that you are walking the Camino for her.

If there is anything that you think I or anyone else can help with, please let us know.

Dave
Dave, this is wonderful news - and I will do just that in memory of my wife! I’m also taking a stack of laminated memorial cards to place at shrines and oratories along the way. Thank you!

Dave, this is wonderful news - and I will do just that in memory of my wife! I’m also taking a stack of laminated memorial cards to place at shrines and oratories along the way. Thank you!

This is a thread from last year that provides additional information on the subject:

In 2018, I did this in the name of a newborn son, Joshua David, who had passed away 2 hours after his birth. Although done decades later, it was both a healing and cathartic experience. My hope is that if you decide to do the same, it will help with your grief and healing. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry for your loss, Michael, and for the last years of gradual but relentless disappearance. You have lived through something immensely difficult and very sad.
I am walking the Camino in her honor, so in a sense, she'll be walking with me.
May there be all blessings, Michael! You couldn't do a better thing. For her and for you.

If your Camino plans include a Compostela, you may know that your wife's name can be placed on the document by request, if you state that yo
Yes. Just request a compostella 'in vicare pro' with your wife's name.

Michael - I recently lost a dear friend to early onset Alzheimer's and I do have an understanding of what these last years have been for you as a caregiver to your wife. Such deep respect for you. I lost my brother suddenly 4 years ago and walking the camino soon after his death was incredibly important (and continues to be) with helping me come to terms with the loss. Indeed, I did feel like he was walking with me and the camino was really a long conversation with him. I wish you a beautiful healing camino in honour of your dear wife as you begin this next phase of your life.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife died in 2016. I walked the Camino from Seville to SdC over six weeks exactly a year later in her memory and to raise sponsorship money for the hospice that looked after her (at home where she and I wanted her to be). I found it helped a great deal to have focus and purpose in that first year. Each day I picked a memory of our time together and tried to recall as much detail as possible - and I talked to her hoping she was somewhere, listening. After that had run its course for the day I thought of each of our friends and how they contribute to the good in this world. It helped me a great deal. Go for it.

My wife died in 2016. I walked the Camino from Seville to SdC over six weeks exactly a year later in her memory and to raise sponsorship money for the hospice that looked after her (at home where she and I wanted her to be). I found it helped a great deal to have focus and purpose in that first year. Each day I picked a memory of our time together and tried to recall as much detail as possible - and I talked to her hoping she was somewhere, listening. After that had run its course for the day I thought of each of our friends and how they contribute to the good in this world. It helped me a great deal. Go for it.
Wow, Donald, thanks for the perspective and inspiration!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Michael - I recently lost a dear friend to early onset Alzheimer's and I do have an understanding of what these last years have been for you as a caregiver to your wife. Such deep respect for you. I lost my brother suddenly 4 years ago and walking the camino soon after his death was incredibly important (and continues to be) with helping me come to terms with the loss. Indeed, I did feel like he was walking with me and the camino was really a long conversation with him. I wish you a beautiful healing camino in honour of your dear wife as you begin this next phase of your life.
Thank you, Theatregal for sharing your perspective. That’s how I feel about my wife; I believe sh’ll be walking with me.

Hello Michael, so so sorry for your loss! I walked the CF last summer, roughly half a year after my husband passed away from cancer, and it was a wonderfully life-affirming and therapeutic experience. Trying not to have too many expectations, I took in the beautiful nature, felt him often present and lit every day a candle in his name or for friends (as grief can be egocentric after a while..). I met many other wonderful people, often also recovering from various traumas, and at times the physical pain was the much-needed antidote to the emotional pain. Wishing you a similarly great walk, buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

""Being spontaneous, it's what saved me""

All the best Michael, situations will occur on the journey that will make you believe she is with you not just looking over you.

Michael I am truly sorry for your loss - may she rest in peace - but what a wonderful thing you did caring for her for all those years. Wonderful people you will meet along the way but most important will be meeting Michael again. Your wife will always be with you and the lovely memories of your life together is something very special. I know you will find great healing as you tread the wonderful camino paths and I pray that peace will fill your heart and renew your spirit. Definitely not crazy!!! Buen camino and warm hugsXXXX

Sorry to hear about your wife Michael, and so hard to see someone you love dearly suffer with Alzheimers. All I can say is that I was a caregiver for 13 years and it takes its toll both mentally and physically so you need to be very gentle with yourself and take things slowly when you start walking, ease gently into it. It will be a very special camino - I did my first one in 2013 in memory of my son and it helped me a lot. Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May you be blessed with peace on your Camino. I walked my very first Camino after losing my wife five years before. It was a healing journey as she walked beside me the whole Camino Frances. In following years she sent me on more Caminos for myself, but, has always been my inspiration. I encourage you to keep a journal of your experiences as she walks beside you. When I retuned I felt compelled to write about our experience, and that has been a treasure for me to return to over and over to remember our journey together. "Walking in Lindee's Light - Together on the Camino de Santiago".

My sympathies on your loss Michael. What an epic way to celebrate your dear wife and your shared life experiences. I hope your pilgrimage, for that is truly what this is, will be full of everything good that the Camiino can give you, including time, space, grieving and all the blessings to reinforce you for the next phase of your journey. Buen Camino pilgrim

May you be blessed with peace on your Camino. I walked my very first Camino after losing my wife five years before. It was a healing journey as she walked beside me the whole Camino Frances. In following years she sent me on more Caminos for myself, but, has always been my inspiration. I encourage you to keep a journal of your experiences as she walks beside you. When I retuned I felt compelled to write about our experience, and that has been a treasure for me to return to over and over to remember our journey together. "Walking in Lindee's Light - Together on the Camino de Santiago".

Wow, GDL! What an inspirational story! I am learning that: (1) I’m not crazy and (2) I’m not alone in this. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May I also offer my condolences on the loss you are experiencing. Blessings to you, Michael, as your life journey continues. Buen Camino!

Sorry to hear about your wife Michael, and so hard to see someone you love dearly suffer with Alzheimers. All I can say is that I was a caregiver for 13 years and it takes its toll both mentally and physically so you need to be very gentle with yourself and take things slowly when you start walking, ease gently into it. It will be a very special camino - I did my first one in 2013 in memory of my son and it helped me a lot. Buen camino
Thank you, Wildplace, for your words of wisdom, obviously coming from your own heartaches. I will listen to your counsel. ❤️

God Bless you, Michael. Three of us from Colorado are starting on April 14th from SJPdP. Maybe we'll see you out thee.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My sympathies on your loss Michael. What an epic way to celebrate your dear wife and your shared life experiences. I hope your pilgrimage, for that is truly what this is, will be full of everything good that the Camiino can give you, including time, space, grieving and all the blessings to reinforce you for the next phase of your journey. Buen Camino pilgrim
Thank you so much, James P! I am indeed taking this Camino as a pilgrimage, full of holy moments to celebrate her memory, of times to be alone with God, to see him in the natural world around me and in the people I will meet. I know I won’t be lonely.

Michael: when in Santiago you go to get your compostela you might need to remind the person behind the desk in the pilgrim office that you'd like written at the bottom of the compostela the words "Vicarie Pro" followed by the name of the person for whom you walked the Camino. They might be busy and forget to offer it. This does happen. You might forget to ask in the emotion of the moment: you will probably by in tears at that time: this happened many times a day when I was a volunteer in the pilgrim office. Maybe make some sort of note somewhere to remind you.
You might need to explain that the name of the person is someone who would have walked with you had they been alive, or someone who you thought of daily on your journey. It's not exactly a simple memorial, it's somehow more than that. Several people write the words "personal memory" on the piece of paper with their number on and in the office they hand over that paper to show they're there at the right time. At that moment they're usually in tears and unable to speak. Happened to me a lot. I had people who started walking on September 11 in memory of friends killed on 9/11, a mother asking for her son's name: lots of people are in tears, so don't worry if you are as well. In fact I once saw a group in tears in the square outside the cathedral then half an hour later I was issuing compostelas to them.

God Bless you, Michael. Three of us from Colorado are starting on April 14th from SJPdP. Maybe we'll see you out thee.
DBender, I hope so! How will I find you?
Michael: when in Santiago you go to get your compostela you might need to remind the person behind the desk in the pilgrim office that you'd like written at the bottom of the compostela the words "Vicarie Pro" followed by the name of the person for whom you walked the Camino. They might be busy and forget to offer it. This does happen. You might forget to ask in the emotion of the moment: you will probably by in tears at that time: this happened many times a day when I was a volunteer in the pilgrim office. Maybe make some sort of note somewhere to remind you.
You might need to explain that the name of the person is someone who would have walked with you had they been alive, or someone who you thought of daily on your journey. It's not exactly a simple memorial, it's somehow more than that. Several people write the words "personal memory" on the piece of paper with their number on and in the office they hand over that paper to show they're there at the right time. At that moment they're usually in tears and unable to speak. Happened to me a lot. I had people who started walking on September 11 in memory of friends killed on 9/11, a mother asking for her son's name: lots of people are in tears, so don't worry if you are as well. In fact I once saw a group in tears in the square outside the cathedral then half an hour later I was issuing compostelas to them.
mmmmartin, thank you so much for this advice! Perhaps I could also add Vicarie Pro and my wife’s name on a post-it note and attach to my Credencial as a reminder? Trust me, I know I will break down in tears on the Praça Obradoiro and when I go to claim the Compostela. I gave up on trying to tough it out. Somebody once said that grief is the price of love.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry for your loss, Michael. Both of my caminos have been in periods where I was grieving a loss, and the healing that comes from walking miles and thinking of all the good things that are in my life because of that person is invaluable. As Nick B notes above... being spontaneous is important, but might be hard at times. I'd just add that being aware of "pure serendipity" and embracing it when it happens is important as well.
Wishing you a blessed walk that is a balm for your spirit.
Buen Camino

So sorry for your loss, Michael. Both of my caminos have been in periods where I was grieving a loss, and the healing that comes from walking miles and thinking of all the good things that are in my life because of that person is invaluable. As Nick B notes above... being spontaneous is important, but might be hard at times. I'd just add that being aware of "pure serendipity" and embracing it when it happens is important as well.
Wishing you a blessed walk that is a balm for your spirit.
Buen Camino
Rex, thank you! Wise words indeed. Maybe it’s just me, but the older I’ve gotten, the less I believe in coincidence and serendipity and believe more that things happen for a reason, according to a higher plan - but I totally get your point to embrace those things that happen. It’s amazing the outpouring of love and support I’ve received from people like you on this thread. We truly are a community. Buen Camino. ❤️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apologies but this is long!
Caring for another, sometimes for years, and then they die .... Should I mention this? ... well ... here is a thing that is never mentioned - carer guilt .... so common ... how we felt inadaquate, how guilty we felt when we were short, sharp, irritable, took a little time off .... the truth is, no matter if there is good love there, being a carer is hard, so hard - hard because there is no one else to share the experience with, hard because everyone else thinks that we are angels, hard because we are humans and faulty and frail and fail, even though we try our best ..... so I want, on this thread, to talk about the carers ... if you do feel guilt because you think that you weren't good enough (though you were you know, you stayed!) .... the truth is, you are wrong because you were .. you were the last person standing, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year ... still there, faults, true .. but still there ... so I wanted to mention this .... nearly everyone who has been a carer until death feels a guilt that they do not speak about, that no one speaks about .... but it is ok ... you did your best as a human .. and in the end, it was always about love ... so go on Camino, all of you ... re-live, love, affirm, light candles for that person now gone - but more importantly, forgive yourself, be human, cry, of course, but laugh, love, be ... what you did is recorded in heaven...
Why do I write this? Because all good and caring people have the same thing in common, they do critical introspection and never think that they were good enough, they always look at their faults ... bad people? they think that they are good so never question, they always think they are doing the right thing.

I looked after mother for some years - until she finally fell upwards out of her broken body and into the arms of waiting and welcoming angels - now, we didn't actually like each other at all and she was not an 'easy' person .. so much so that I ran away from home first when I was three and a half! ... we hadn't spoken for years ... then the need came up and as all others walked away I stood - last man standing, what else can you do?. The first two years I found it really hard, really hard, but then I found that I surrendered and everything in the past was somehow healed ... and I now bless the gift of those last years of her life ... at the funeral my son, who although a writer has to be the least religious person I thought I knew (wrongly I now see), wrote and spoke this - about a carer's love unrecognised by the carer... I have put it below .. so if you happen to be a carer who actually did their best but for some reason feels guilty, please read it, with my love.

From my beloved Son, Joshua James, at mother's funeral

"Death & Love

or — The Relationship Between Mother & Son, and how in love we live forever

Death is, in many ways, a celebration of life. It is the bookend that curtails our time on this mortal plane, but it is by no means a door closed that we may never look beyond. This short period now is an intermission of sorts, during which the lights come up and we look around and we blink, and we talk openly about that which came before and that which may follow.

It is a moment of contemplation and of reflection and also of rejoicing and of jubilation. It is not a moment of outright sadness, just as surely as it is neither a true beginning nor end.

When we see someone take death upon themselves, it is our chance to look at everything they were, as if for now, at least, their decisions are made and their actions are set in stone. And most importantly, what death is is a time to take stock of the one thing that transcends what we think of as time and place, and that thing is Love — the substance in which we all swim — though oftentimes we realise not that we do, for it is as intangible and profound as the dark matter that holds our stars in sway.

It is also as elusive, and equally as perplexing to define, and we convince ourselves that it evades our desperate groping for it, when we so often search with a singular purpose.

We write of love in the pages of whimsy as if it were the just reward only for those who are true of heart — the noble and deserving among us. But this is not reality, for love belongs to all, and it is the recognition of love in the unlikely places of the everyday that ennobles every one of us, and to feel it we must first recognise it, and to inspire it in others we must first understand the way in which we transmit it from ourselves.

Death of a loved one reveals many things to us. Most importantly it reveals how we loved this person, and how they loved us in return. Love in this way is traceable, as when the lights are up and our sight is cleared, that we may look both forward and backward with truth and with clarity, it is evident through our past actions how and when we loved and to what degree, and how we were loved in return.

Sometimes at this juncture we realise that what we took not for love, and perhaps passed off as mere routine and diligent caring, was in fact love in its truest and it’s deepest form.

These oversights and blithe disregards are easy to make when the trappings of life bully our common sense, but in death we cannot let ourselves for a moment confuse what love for a person really is — it is a commitment to their welfare, even when it means a disregard for one’s own, and it is being present when an awareness of one's presence may in fact be absent, and it is pushing oneself to be the best that one can be, for this person, in ways that one has to feel out and painstakingly discover along the way.

After all this, the feeling of love one receives is merely what echoes back when we throw our entirety into the painful void that is giving.

Some say that love takes a lifetime to build. I don’t know that this is true, but what I do believe is that at the end of a lifetime it is possible to understand love, or at least what the unique love meant between two people. Everything that was love reveals itself, just as everything that shrouded its clarity and purpose drops away. In this moment we can be sure in our heart that love existed and it existed well.

Some also say that when we die we die alone, and that we take nothing of ourselves with us when we depart. I, however, know this not to be true, for if in death love only becomes stronger for those who remain, how can it be that such a tie is broken for those who depart?

If it remains here, then it also remains there, and in this way it is everlasting and it is true and there is no mistaking that it existed and that it will always exist for the people who knew it."

To all carers, present and past, I wish you a Buen Camino and send you my love xxxx

Last edited:
What a wonderful way to honor your wife!

I have watched the cruel decline of my mother-in-law, 93, for over a decade. She is transitioning to a memory care facility within the next two weeks, and my father-in-law, 94, will be only one floor away where he can socialize with others and visit with his wife when she is awake. His patience and compassion tending to his wife’s needs have been unyielding, and he has been isolated...by choice...for a very long time. I have the utmost respect for caregivers, and in particular, caregivers who interface and support the needs of those dealing with Alzheimer‘s.

May your Camino provide comfort and joy, and may it provide you with some well deserved time for self care.

Blessings on your pilgrimage @Michael-FL, and may you feel joy as well as sadness, and know that your dear wife is at peace. I hope that the years roll back for you, to a time when your wife and your relationship was at its most pleasurable, and that the last years fade gently.

If you do get your Compostela endorsed "vicarie pro" it will have your name in the main body of the document, with the words "vacarie pro" and your wife's name added at the end, in ink.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Wild Irish. I promise to post updates. The outpouring of love and support has been overwhelming. Just yesterday I felt like I was standing on the high dive platform at the deep end of the pool - and then I finally dove in. I know I will have tough moments, but even while going solo I’ll never be completely alone.

Blessings on your pilgrimage @Michael-FL, and may you feel joy as well as sadness, and know that your dear wife is at peace. I hope that the years roll back for you, to a time when your wife and your relationship was at its most pleasurable, and that the last years fade gently.

If you do get your Compostela endorsed "vicarie pro" it will have your name in the main body of the document, with the words "vacarie pro" and your wife's name added at the end, in ink.
Many thanks, Kanga, for kindness and words of wisdom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a wonderful way to honor your wife!

I have watched the cruel decline of my mother-in-law, 93, for over a decade. She is transitioning to a memory care facility within the next two weeks, and my father-in-law, 94, will be only one floor away where he can socialize with others and visit with his wife when she is awake. His patience and compassion tending to his wife’s needs have been unyielding, and he has been isolated...by choice...for a very long time. I have the utmost respect for caregivers, and in particular, caregivers who interface and support the needs of those dealing with Alzheimer‘s.

May your Camino provide comfort and joy, and may it provide you with some well deserved time for self care.
Thank you Sally ❤️

Sorry for your loss Michael. I too will walk the camino starting early April this year in memory of my wife who passed last February. It was our intention to walk the Camino together at some stage though her declining health constantly put barriers in the way as breast cancer slowly but steadily took hold. Before she passed i told her i would carry her ashes in my back pack and that she would do the camino come hell or high water.

Apologies but this is long!
Caring for another, sometimes for years, and then they die .... Should I mention this? ... well ... here is a thing that is never mentioned - carer guilt .... so common ... how we felt inadaquate, how guilty we felt when we were short, sharp, irritable, took a little time off .... the truth is, no matter if there is good love there, being a carer is hard, so hard - hard because there is no one else to share the experience with, hard because everyone else thinks that we are angels, hard because we are humans and faulty and frail and fail, even though we try our best ..... so I want, on this thread, to talk about the carers ... if you do feel guilt because you think that you weren't good enough (though you were you know, you stayed!) .... the truth is, you are wrong because you were .. you were the last person standing, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year ... still there, faults, true .. but still there ... so I wanted to mention this .... nearly everyone who has been a carer until death feels a guilt that they do not speak about, that no one speaks about .... but it is ok ... you did your best as a human .. and in the end, it was always about love ... so go on Camino, all of you ... re-live, love, affirm, light candles for that person now gone - but more importantly, forgive yourself, be human, cry, of course, but laugh, love, be ... what you did is recorded in heaven...
Why do I write this? Because all good and caring people have the same thing in common, they do critical introspection and never think that they were good enough, they always look at their faults ... bad people? they think that they are good so never question, they always think they are doing the right thing.

I looked after mother for some years - until she finally fell upwards out of her broken body and into the arms of waiting and welcoming angels - now, we didn't actually like each other at all and she was not an 'easy' person .. so much so that I ran away from home first when I was three and a half! ... we hadn't spoken for years ... then the need came up and as all others walked away I stood - last man standing, what else can you do?. The first two years I found it really hard, really hard, but then I found that I surrendered and everything in the past was somehow healed ... and I now bless the gift of those last years of her life ... at the funeral my son, who although a writer has to be the least religious person I thought I knew (wrongly I now see), wrote and spoke this - about a carer's love unrecognised by the carer... I have put it below .. so if you happen to be a carer who actually did their best but for some reason feels guilty, please read it, with my love.

From my beloved Son, Joshua James, at mother's funeral

"Death & Love

or — The Relationship Between Mother & Son, and how in love we live forever

Death is, in many ways, a celebration of life. It is the bookend that curtails our time on this mortal plane, but it is by no means a door closed that we may never look beyond. This short period now is an intermission of sorts, during which the lights come up and we look around and we blink, and we talk openly about that which came before and that which may follow.

It is a moment of contemplation and of reflection and also of rejoicing and of jubilation. It is not a moment of outright sadness, just as surely as it is neither a true beginning nor end.

When we see someone take death upon themselves, it is our chance to look at everything they were, as if for now, at least, their decisions are made and their actions are set in stone. And most importantly, what death is is a time to take stock of the one thing that transcends what we think of as time and place, and that thing is Love — the substance in which we all swim — though oftentimes we realise not that we do, for it is as intangible and profound as the dark matter that holds our stars in sway.

It is also as elusive, and equally as perplexing to define, and we convince ourselves that it evades our desperate groping for it, when we so often search with a singular purpose.

We write of love in the pages of whimsy as if it were the just reward only for those who are true of heart — the noble and deserving among us. But this is not reality, for love belongs to all, and it is the recognition of love in the unlikely places of the everyday that ennobles every one of us, and to feel it we must first recognise it, and to inspire it in others we must first understand the way in which we transmit it from ourselves.

Death of a loved one reveals many things to us. Most importantly it reveals how we loved this person, and how they loved us in return. Love in this way is traceable, as when the lights are up and our sight is cleared, that we may look both forward and backward with truth and with clarity, it is evident through our past actions how and when we loved and to what degree, and how we were loved in return.

Sometimes at this juncture we realise that what we took not for love, and perhaps passed off as mere routine and diligent caring, was in fact love in its truest and it’s deepest form.

These oversights and blithe disregards are easy to make when the trappings of life bully our common sense, but in death we cannot let ourselves for a moment confuse what love for a person really is — it is a commitment to their welfare, even when it means a disregard for one’s own, and it is being present when an awareness of one's presence may in fact be absent, and it is pushing oneself to be the best that one can be, for this person, in ways that one has to feel out and painstakingly discover along the way.

After all this, the feeling of love one receives is merely what echoes back when we throw our entirety into the painful void that is giving.

Some say that love takes a lifetime to build. I don’t know that this is true, but what I do believe is that at the end of a lifetime it is possible to understand love, or at least what the unique love meant between two people. Everything that was love reveals itself, just as everything that shrouded its clarity and purpose drops away. In this moment we can be sure in our heart that love existed and it existed well.

Some also say that when we die we die alone, and that we take nothing of ourselves with us when we depart. I, however, know this not to be true, for if in death love only becomes stronger for those who remain, how can it be that such a tie is broken for those who depart?

If it remains here, then it also remains there, and in this way it is everlasting and it is true and there is no mistaking that it existed and that it will always exist for the people who knew it."

To all carers, present and past, I wish you a Buen Camino and send you my love xxxx
Thanks David. I was really touched by this and will share with my daughters. ❤️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry for your loss Michael. I too will walk the camino starting early April this year in memory of my wife who passed last February. It was our intention to walk the Camino together at some stage though her declining health constantly put barriers in the way as breast cancer slowly but steadily took hold. Before she passed i told her i would carry her ashes in my back pack and that she would do the camino come hell or high water.
Stuart, I am so sorry! You and I have something in common. I know the wound must still be fresh and deep. I hope this Camino will be a time of healing and peace.

Thanks, Wild Irish. I promise to post updates. The outpouring of love and support has been overwhelming. Just yesterday I felt like I was standing on the high dive platform at the deep end of the pool - and then I finally dove in. I know I will have tough moments, but even while going solo I’ll never be completely alone.

You are so brave to dive in David ♥️ I hope it will be healing and that you meet kind and wonderful people along the way, but also enough solitude should you need it. I hear there are many beautiful churches along the camino that you could visit for some quiet respite from time to time.. There's also the Pilgrim House at Santiago where pilgrims can pop in and meet each other and get support. Eagerly awaiting your posts from the road, don't forget to check in if you have any last minute nerves. Take care my friend 😊🙏

G'day Michael.
Although I can't know exactly how you are feeling, I think I have some understanding of what you are going through right now. I walked the Frances last April, 18 months after losing my wife. The journey is hard, but you will meet people who will help, even if they don't realise they are doing it. Some random conversations I had seemed to come at just the right time, and moments of quiet reflection in small country churches brought tears, but some calm as well. Buen Camino Peregrino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
G'day Michael.
Although I can't know exactly how you are feeling, I think I have some understanding of what you are going through right now. I walked the Frances last April, 18 months after losing my wife. The journey is hard, but you will meet people who will help, even if they don't realise they are doing it. Some random conversations I had seemed to come at just the right time, and moments of quiet reflection in small country churches brought tears, but some calm as well. Buen Camino Peregrino.
Aw, man, Lindsay, you really struck a chord with me! It must have truly been tough for you and I’m glad there were encounters with people at just the right time. I don’t believe in coincidence; they were meant to happen. Thank you, bro, for your perspective and words of wisdom.

DBender, I hope so! How will I find you?

mmmmartin, thank you so much for this advice! Perhaps I could also add Vicarie Pro and my wife’s name on a post-it note and attach to my Credencial as a reminder? Trust me, I know I will break down in tears on the Praça Obradoiro and when I go to claim the Compostela. I gave up on trying to tough it out. Somebody once said that grief is the price of love.
We are walking to Orisson on 5/14, to Roncesvalles on 5/15, moving at a slowish pace in the beginning, so you could easily catch us! Just ask for the Colorado walkers, Mark, Duane and Laura. We are old and will be slow!

I walked my first Camino in 2017 in honor of my mother who lost her unexpected and short battle with an incurable brain tumor in 2016. I experienced a range of emotions as I walked the Camino and navigated my own path through the grief.
There are days when you curse and celebrate the walk the same way one curses and finally embraces the grief process.

Take the journey. The Camino will carry you through the process. It will heal your soul.

Buen Camino

Thoughts are with you Michael....may you walk with safety and with courage and with your wife by your side, Gentle Hugs and Go Well.

DBender, Actually, it sounds like I will be well ahead of you, just several days shy of Santiago. I will have started at SJPP on 17 or 18 April. Buen Camino.

Firstly, my condolences. I am sorry about your loss.

The Camino can be a great healer for you, and bring you some peace. I hope it works for you as it has done for many others, me included.

I write to you because I want to make you aware of a special feature that the Camino offers: The ability to walk in the name of another person who is not, for any reason, able to walk by herself. Here is how it works:

You get your credential, and you get your stamps (sellos) each day along the Way, as a normal pilgrim, but when you come to SdC, in the Pilgrims Office, you ask the clerk to give you your Compostela written in the name of another person (your wife). It is possible, and in Spanish it is called "In Vicario Pro" (instead of/on behalf of), and then her name, written on your Compostela (It must be with your name on it, as the Compostela is given to you, the walker, but you pass it on), which means that you dedicate your Compostela to that person instead of yourself, meaning she'll have the rights you have after completing the Camino.

tt effectively means that she has walked the Camino, but by you. Having worked as a volunteer in the Pilgrims Office in SdC, I know this.

That way, your wife can be with you all the way, and receive what you can do later anyway (next Camino). Just a thought, in what must be a troubled time for you.

I hope this helps a little.

Buen Camino, in peace and contemplation, for both of you.

BTW: I start from Pamplona on April 17th, so will be a couple of days ahead of you. :cool:

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Alex, thank you so much for your detailed description of the procedure. I will plan to do just that - and trust me, it will be very difficult for me to request that without breaking down in tears. Apart from the joy and meeting wonderful people on the way, this Camino will be for me a deeply personal, sacred experience, as I will be carrying her memory and no doubt feeling her presence.
Re BTW: I hope we might run into each other somewhere along the way. I can't say how fast I'll be on this trek, though normally I'm a brisk walker.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.