• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beyond SdC

Doug Delfeld

Deboy
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013- 2015-2017
CP 2019
We are walking the CP from Porto this April. When we get to SdC we would like to walk some of the CI. Can we still stay in the alburges on the CP pasport or do we need another one from Santiago.
Also, is day one of the CP out of Porto really bad or just part of the Camino experience?
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As others have said, your credencial will be fine. In terms of the walk out of Porto, you haven't said which route you intend to walk. I'm assuming either the Central or the Coastal, as they tend to follow the northern route out of Porto that a lot of people have complained about. I can't speak to how bad that route out of Porto is, since I didn't walk it. If you choose to walk it you will find that it is part of your Camino experience. Some of those tough experiences we would never have chosen become memories that we cherish. Nevertheless, I chose the other route out of Porto, on the Senda Litoral. As Walli Walker said, you go down to the river from the Cathedral and then west along the river to the ocean and north along the seashore and boardwalk. It joins the Coastal route at Vila do Conde, if that is the route you are walking. If you are planning to walk the Central, from Vila do Conde you can turn right just after you cross the bridge and the entrance to the town and head east along a marked route to the Central, which it joins at Arcos, just before Rates.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow Elle,
Where did you get all this info and knowledge?! Seems you have a photographic memory or a voice recorder on constantly.
Thank you for ALL the info and emotional input.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have time, start in Lisbon. The entire Camino Portuguese is a great walk, and there are several excellent stops between Lisbon and Porto. I agree with Walli and David. The Senda Litoral is a great way to begin the Coastal Route. I took that this year. Next time on the Portuguese I'll take the Central.

That’s what I was thinking. I feel I should walk the CP from Porto and start on the central right out of Porto and not go costal for the first leg . I assume that is the route the original pilgrim took and I’m trying to stay as close to the spiritual aspect of this Camino as possible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Elle, what kind of devices do you use for audio and video. It is so professional. Do you feel it altered your Camino experience? Good or bad overall.

My first time coming out of Porto I started at the cathedral and simply started following the yellow arrows through the city. I enjoy those urban walks. It gives you a small view of areas outside the tourist centre and a small glimpse of everyday life in the city. It’s all just part of the Camino.

As you get farther towards the north end of the city, you get into some more modern areas, which are not the most scenic IMHO. But as I said, I just take it as part of the journey.

I did it in 2013 so my memory is a little vague on the details, but I seem to recall that it was about 13-14 kms to get out of the urban areas and into the fields.

It may not be for everyone, but the excitement of being out on the trail again, plus the ability of seeing more of the city made it worthwhile for me. The route through the city was well marked with yellow arrows.

Have a great Camino, whichever route you choose!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A big thx Elle.
That give me hope that even I who are technically challenged can do it. I’ve watched well over 500 videos and your even just the video not including all the text is far superior and helpful.
Blessing and Ultreia

when you say that you want to walk some of the Camino Ingles after arriving in Santiago, the Ingles stages nearest to Santiago are the most boring. The best stages are those at the start from Ferrol where you walk round the coast. You can take a bus from Santiago to Ferrol.

do not know who many days you have left over after finishing the Portuguese, but if you have not walked Santiago to Finisterre, I would look at that, over walking only part of the Ingles

Thanks Peb,
That’s good thinking. I’ve never walked SdC to Finistere. By the way, my Spanish is good but very little Portugués. Is that a problem?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
By the way, my Spanish is good but very little Portugués. Is that a problem?

The languages are similar enough to allow you to read. In conversations, it works if people speak very slowly (however the Portuguese tend to eat a lot of the vowels). In Portugal most people speak a foreign language, so you will surely be able to get by with Spanish and English.

I took the train out of Porto during my CP, so can't help you with your first question. I had limited leave from work and opted for enjoying 2 lovely days walking around Porto and skipping the city exit walk.

That’s what I was thinking. I feel I should walk the CP from Porto and start on the central right out of Porto and not go costal for the first leg . I assume that is the route the original pilgrim took and I’m trying to stay as close to the spiritual aspect of this Camino as possible.
and it is no where near as bad as most seem to say ,,,, i found the central way perfectly ok ,,,

Thanks Peb,
That’s good thinking. I’ve never walked SdC to Finistere. By the way, my Spanish is good but very little Portugués. Is that a problem?
You can cope with your Spanish although do not expect the Portuguese answer back in Spanish. .so you have to deal with a different language and also with a northern dialect with swallowed vowels. But the youngsters will speak english in common . the elderly people, if they do,will speak french .
Once crossed the border you will experience that there is another language the people speak, Gallego or Galician which is moreless similar to Portuguese, let say more to Portuguese than to Spanish (Castellano) .
For all my bookings for my next caminho in April I emailed in Portuguese but most of the time they answered me back in Gallego .

I walked the Caminho Português several times and I should advise you to leave Porto along the river Douro and Atlantic Ocean side untill Vila do Conde and then choose for the connection to the Central route by walking from there to São Pedro de Rates.
If you prefer to start directly on de Central route, I recommend you to take the metro in Porto to Póvoa de Varzim and step out at the station of Vilar do Pinheiro and walk from there. Soon you will arrive in a rural landscape on your way to São Pedro de Rates .

Passa bem e bom caminho

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
the walk from Santiago to Finisterre is all in spain, so if you speak spanish, you will be at a large advantage to many of the others who are walking the Finisterre camino.

There is a separate Finisterre type compostela which you can obtain. If you look at the Forum on this site named 'Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia', I am sure you will find where and how to obtain this and the separate pilgrims passport, as well as lots of other information on stages, where to stay, getting back to Santiago, etc.

Thank you folks,
I appreciate the input. I’ve watched many videos on the central outof Porto and it looks a bit dangerous with the cars and no walking area. But I feel the central is more of the original Camino and I’m looking for as much authenticity as possible. I will miss the great seafood meals along the costal but I’m sure there will be plenty inland?🙏
Bom Caminho

When I was walking out of Porto in 2013, I had the Brierley guide with me. The guide explained that there was a point where the route branched out, so there were two marked routes to continue north. The two routes met up on the edge of the city. The guide said that one route required the crossing of a busy road, so I gave that one a miss and took what was considered the "safer" route. I don't recall any concerns for safety on my way out of the city. I'll see if I can dig out the guidebook and provide more details.

The place where I do recall some concerns was on my second day. The route took me on a road with no shoulder, and high stone walls on either side. It was scary as cars came around the blind corners. It was not a long stretch, and I was glad to get through it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Doogman, thx for the input. I did see a video of the second day and those high walls and narrow roads with some tragic. Yes that could be a hazard!!
Blessings

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.