• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz Airport closure February 3rd till March 4th 2019

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I just read that the Biarritz (BIQ) airport will be closed for renovations from February 3rd 2019 until March 4th 2019 for renovations. This will cause some problems for those people planning to travel through this airport on the way to SJPP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just read that the Biarritz (BIQ) airport will be closed for renovations from February 3rd 2019 until March 4th 2019 for renovations. This will cause some problems for those people planning to travel through this airport on the way to SJPP
I read this directly on this airports website.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Iberia actually called me to switch my flight to San Sebastian.

Mmm, thanks for posting. I was planning to take the train from Paris to Bayonne and then to SJPdP, but flying was my backup plan (if the flight from the U.S. was late or delayed). Are there any other airports nearby that you would recommend?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're flying from the US, I assume you are arriving at Paris, Charles de Gaulle.

The nearest airport to Biarritz with direct flights from CDG is Bordeaux - up to 6 flights a day with Air France, 1 hour 15 min. You would still have to get the shuttle bus into Bordeaux and then train to Bayonne (1 hour 50 min, trains every two hours or so) Given that the train from Paris to Bordeaux takes just over two hours, there is little to gain by taking the plane.

If you're flying from the US, I assume you are arriving at Paris, Charles de Gaulle.

The nearest airport to Biarritz with direct flights from CDG is Bordeaux - up to 6 flights a day with Air France, 1 hour 15 min. You would still have to get the shuttle bus into Bordeaux and then train to Bayonne (1 hour 50 min, trains every two hours or so) Given that the train from Paris to Bordeaux takes just over two hours, there is little to gain by taking the plane.

Not entirely true, you could come in thru Madrid > (TLS) Toulouse or you could also go Madrid to (EAS) San Sebastian or even (PNA) Pamplona.

I flew from Florida to BCN (Barcelona ) spend 2 nights then took the train to Pamplona spend 2 nights then Bus to St Jean slept 1 night. It was very easy and no problems I felt rested before I started walking Will do the same this year again flying Norwegian again this time from Tampa to BCN thru London. Train from Barcelona to Irun for the Del Norte. Or might consider a flight not sure yet but i like decompressing on the train and taking in the countryside.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We flew to Toulouse, stayed two nights to get over jet lag and took the bus to Bayonne. Turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The city is very walkable and photogenic.

Thanks for these replies. Ticket to CDG has already been purchased and, as mentioned, the flight to Biarritz was only a backup to the train. My new backup, if I miss the 11:30 train to Bayonne, is to spend a day in Paris. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the Camino: make the best of whatever happens. I wish I had learned this lesson much earlier in life, but better late than never.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for these replies. Ticket to CDG has already been purchased and, as mentioned, the flight to Biarritz was only a backup to the train. My new backup, if I miss the 11:30 train to Bayonne, is to spend a day in Paris. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the Camino: make the best of whatever happens. I wish I had learned this lesson much earlier in life, but better late than never.
Hello Douglas - if I may ask - what train are you catching to Bayonne? I'm new to planning/travel by myself so its a bit daunting. I'm exploring flying in to Paris (my Camino is in Sep 2019) and rather than more flights, thought a train would be more...relaxing... Thanks

Hi Gracy. After doing a bit more research, I found a better plan. Even if my plane is late or getting through customs takes longer than usual, I can still get to Bayonne (and SJPdP) by late afternoon. I plan to catch a LeDirect Bus just outside terminal 1 to Gare Montparnasse. Getting to that train station opens up a few more departures for Bayonne. I like taking the train too, but I see a 3 hr 54 min non-stop to Bayonne leaving at 12:52 that sounds just right. Keep searching, and you'll find lots of information. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back