• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz airport to Bayonne and SJPP with bike

jofullam

Hi
I will be arriving into Biarritz airport on Wednesday 20th Apr at 15:05 with a bike boxed up and I'd like to get to Saint Jean Pied de Port that same day. I know there's a 17:57 train from Biarritz to Bayonne arriving at 18:06 then I have 5 minutes to get the last train that day for SJPP which departs at 18:11.

I'm worried that I won't have enough time to swap trains with my bike and gear. Has anyone done this before? I'd also like to know if there's a direct train from Biarritz airport to Bayonne. Or, has anyone taken a bike with them in one of the buses or taxis?

Thanks for your help
Jo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi,
have done this trip twice.
On both occasions i have assembled my bike and ridden to Bayonne station, it takes about 40 mins to ride there , use a road map. No problem taking an assembled bike on train from the station in Bayonne.
There is also a regular bus from outside the airport door to Bayonne train station. Info desk in airport will have timetable. Your bike is more likely to be accepted on the bus if it is still boxed.
Even though Biarritz train station is nearer there are better options.
Enjoy its a great trip
best wishes
justin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can anyone (including either Jo or Justin) provide me with an update on this situation? I will be arriving at Biarritz airport next Friday (Sept 7th) with my bike at around 1530 hrs. I would prefer not to have to assemble the bike at that stage. Can I depend on being able to take a bus to Bayonne rail station with a boxed bike? Can I also depend on being able to get a train that will accept a boxed bike from Bayonne to SJPdP at around 1700/1800 hrs? Btw, is there an on-line timetabel for this train service?
Is there a viable taxi alternative? Has anyone recently taken a taxi from Biarritz airport to SJPdP with a bike, boxed or otherwise? If so, what did it cost?

jemcol56 said:
...Can I also depend on being able to get a train that will accept a boxed bike from Bayonne to SJPdP at around 1700/1800 hrs? Btw, is there an on-line timetabel for this train service?

jemco56,

Here is the CURRENT Bayonne to SJPdP TER line 62 train schedule.

From 23 July 2012 to 8 December the TER line 62 departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.

Bayonne/Baiona
07.25/lundi, NON fetes/Monday, NOT holidays/du 27 août, aussi le 8 nov/from 27 August also 8 Nov
07.54/mardi a vendredi/Tuesday to Friday, NOT holidays/du 28 août, ne circule pas le 8 nov/ from 28 August NOT 8 Nov
09.41/samedi, dimanche, et fetes,/Saturday, Sunday and holidays
11.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays
14.07 samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
15.37/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
15.47/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
18.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
19.36/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
20.41/vendredi, in autocar/Friday in bus/partir du 31 août, circule aussi le 31 oct/from 31 August, also31 October

All trains do NOT go every day.

18.41 would be your connection. The train will carry an assembled bike.

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Greetings All,

Hello Margaret,

Was looking at the very useful schedule / information you posted for folks. I am getting into Biarritz on Friday 21st Sept round 4:30. The train schedule I found on line suggested there was a train at 6pm-ish, so I figured if the flight/luggage/taxi ate the time, might not catch that early evening train and need to stay Bayonne that night. Then catch a saturday morning train to SJPDP.

Being dyslexic am forever getting schedules back to front and up to down, but read the info you posted: does this mean the train saturday morning is a 'bus' because it is in September?? Was looking forward to the train, as heard it is a special gauge one and the views are (supposedly) rather lovely along the way. Comments/suggestions?

Blessings to All,

Francesca

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Francesca,

This is the Saturday morning TRAIN not bus.

"09.41/samedi, dimanche, et fetes,/Saturday, Sunday and holidays."

As listed in the CURRENT timetable which I posted above earlier today .

Enjoy the ride!

Margaret

Thank you for the time table, Margaret. Much appreciated. Provided my flight is not too badly delayed, I should be comfortably able to make that 18.41 train from Bayonne. (Btw, how long does the train journey to SJPdP take?). So, combining Justin's info with yours it seems that I will have (at least) two options: (i) cycle to Bayonne, having assembled the bike at Biarritz airport or (ii) take the bike, still boxed, on the bus, and assemble it at Bayonne rail station.
I'm still wondering if there might be another option - to take the bike with me by taxi from Biarritz to SJPdP. Once again, has anyone out there done this and, if so, how much has it cost?

jemcol56 said:
Thank you for the time table, Margaret. Much appreciated. Provided my flight is not too badly delayed, I should be comfortably able to make that 18.41 train from Bayonne. (Btw, how long does the train journey to SJPdP take?)....

jemcol56,

The TER line 62 train journey from Bayonne to SJPdP is generally 1 hour and 20 minutes long; SJPdP is the last stop on the line. However in the past my train has been delayed due to ice on the line in winter, fallen rocks in autumn and, best of all, a COW which wandered on to the tracks and then had to be persuaded to move!

Good luck whichever way you choose!

Margaret .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back