• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz airport to Bayonne rail station

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi amigos,

I am trying to plan my way to St. Jean - On google I managed to find out that there are some buses/shuttles that seem to take me directly from Biarritz airport to Bayonne rail station (please correct me if I'm wrong!) -14, or C, or 816 (816 seems to be quicker for some reason?).
Do I need to buy the tickets in advance, or I just pay on the bus? (How much is it - to have an idea?)
And more importantly, is there any place online where I can see what time is the latest bus that runs? (or just the schedule in general)

Thank you all so much in advance!
Regards,
Sophia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sofronii,

It's just a local bus service so no need for an advance ticket but probably best not to try to pay with a €50 note.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 14 and C are local buses and run regular schedules between the airport and train station. The cost in one euro and correct change is greatly appreciated. Check out Chronoplus for the schedule.
816 is a regional bus and does not stop at the airport as often and only goes as far as the gare routier in Bayonne.

The 14 and C are local buses and run regular schedules between the airport and train station.

Stop is just outside the Airport's main doors. You may need to ask the driver to indicate where to get off as the route may not pass the station which is across the river from the main town. You can't miss the river though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually last year the stop is a little left of the terminal on the exit route from the parking lot. It may have changed.

Yes 1 euro make sure you get a coin from the airport as I only had a note and sort of got moaned at(welcome to France) Bayonne is lovely.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have anything in particular you need to do in Bayonne? I'm asking as I've heard the trains from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port have been suspended until further notice due to landslide/maintenance issues on the line so you might be better getting a shared ride from the airport.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree and I guess would add the word "supposed" to your post. I've seen posts by pilgrims on Facebook this past week where no bus was available and they ended up going by Express Bourricot which apparently is cheaper to arrange from the airport.

Do you have anything in particular you need to do in Bayonne? I'm asking as I've heard the trains from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port have been suspended until further notice due to landslide/maintenance issues on the line so you might be better getting a shared ride from the airport.
No, just going to Saint Jean... but not until mid April

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sofronii, good question I was going to ask, if we can purchase Raill/bus same day or best to prebook? .... I am walking end of Aug. It sounds like the shuttle from Biarritz airport to SJPdP is the way??? How long is this shuttle ride? Prebooking sounds safer???

Sofronii, good question I was going to ask, if we can purchase Raill/bus same day or best to prebook? .... I am walking end of Aug. It sounds like the shuttle from Biarritz airport to SJPdP is the way??? How long is this shuttle ride? Prebooking sounds safer???
It's about an hour ride. And yes you need to book in advance. www.expressbourricot.com

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi amigos,

I am trying to plan my way to St. Jean - On google I managed to find out that there are some buses/shuttles that seem to take me directly from Biarritz airport to Bayonne rail station (please correct me if I'm wrong!) -14, or C, or 816 (816 seems to be quicker for some reason?).
Do I need to buy the tickets in advance, or I just pay on the bus? (How much is it - to have an idea?)
And more importantly, is there any place online where I can see what time is the latest bus that runs? (or just the schedule in general)

Thank you all so much in advance!
Regards,
Sophia
https://www.goeuro.es/travel-search2/results/788244401/train?v=wa_dw_bwg:ctrl or
https://www.expressbourricot.com
Buen Camino!

I agree and I guess would add the word "supposed" to your post. I've seen posts by pilgrims on Facebook this past week where no bus was available and they ended up going by Express Bourricot which apparently is cheaper to arrange from the airport.
Not exactly true. I think some of the blather had to do with proposed strike schedule and not the rail outage. It is possible that the SNCF workers strike will affect the bus service and you can find that information on a daily basis on the SNCF website.
The SNCF train/bus ride is 10e from the train station in Bayonne, the Express Bourricot is about twice the price if you can load the van with 8 pilgrims, otherwise it is an expensive ride as an individual.

Website for Chronoplus is here
https://www.chronoplus.eu/en.html?no_cache=1
You can download timetables and route maps for the buses. Daytime frequency for line 14 is 20 -30 minutes, less on Sunday and holidays. Note that Bayonne has construction works for a tram system and the bus stops at Place des Basques on the other side of the river from the train station.
Express Bourricot must be booked in advance and price per person drops if they have more people on the bus. I sent a request and they came back to tell me how many people they already had confirmed for the time I had requested.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sofia and Welcome.

If I were allowed to ask a question, it would be, "If a more expedient route were available, even if it were at a bit more cost, is it worth knowing about?" PM me if you wish.

Hey,
Yes, I am definitely interested!! Let me know :)
On a trip like this, for me, it is about creating adventure. It is also about many things but adventure is important.

So in that light, let me ride on your shoulder as you get off the plane in Biarritz. Whoa, there is a lot of people with backpacks coming out of the overhead bins. We know what they are here for, wink, wink. This is an opportunity to bypass Bayonne, wait for a bus etc and start meeting fellow pilgrims.

Make your way to the door leaving the airport. Outside, there will be a number of taxis. Find one, ask if they can take you to SJPP and find out the fare and the max number of seats. Then tell him to wait and you will find several more people, so the taxi is full. The driver will appreciate this.

Go back to the door and start asking anyone with a pack if they want to share a taxi. This can start in the airport, if you wish. Two or three approaching a taxi driver together will make the driver feel better about waiting until the taxi is full.

Once on the way, everyone is usually quiet so now is a good time to open a conversation, learn about who everyone is and where they have come from. Ask if anyone has been here before and see if they can direct the rest to the Pilgrim Office as soon as the taxi arrives in SJPP. Another topic is where everyone is staying, or, which route is being taken to Roncesvalles?

So, you see the advantages. The cost of a taxi is going to be 100 to 130 euro. Find a van if you can or take a seat on one as the cost should work out to 25 - 30 euro or less per person in a taxi or less in a van. Vans may already have a number of seats reserved, fewer people to find. Volunteer to find more if they are looking for more and you may get a cost reduction. This saves possibly staying overnight in Bayonne, and the cost, and definitely save the time to get to a train or bus. That means getting to SJPP as quickly as possible after landing, getting the the Pilgrim Office for the Credentiel and on to the hostel / auberge.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the adventure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually I booked a direct shuttle service from Biarritz airport to St.Jean with Express Bourricot (Euro 18). It's a shared shuttle service so prices will be cheaper when shared with other pilgrims but they will let you know in advance when they have other people for that time slot. You can book them online ; www.expressbourricot.com
My flight arrives in at 9:05 p.m. and Express Bourricot unfortunately doesn't do transfers that late. Staying one night in Bayonne might be the thing to do and then find transport (train or bus) from the train station to SJPDPP in the morning.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back