• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz airport to Bayonne

JohnM

Hello all

I am starting the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port on 1 Sept.

I am flying from London to Biarritz on 31 Aug arriving at 5.05pm.

I've read somewhere that Biarritz airport is quite close to Bayonne (which is on the train route to St Jean Pied de Port).

Does anybody know how to get from the airport to Bayonne (without taxis).

Is there a train from the airport?

There seems to be a bus service (STAB service only costing €1,20). I've visited their site but it asks me to specify a stop in Bayonne before it will give me a timetable, and I don't know what to specify as I don't even know where I will staying in Bayonne at this stage.

Any help (including regarding a cheap place to stay in Bayonne overnight) from anyone who has travelled this route recently would be much appreciated.

Buen camino to you all
John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As you get late in Anglet airport (serves both Biarritz and Bayonne) you will not be able to reach the station in Bayonne by 6:15 PM when the last train leaves to StJPDP using Stab. For much less then the price of a cheap hotel why not take a taxi (approx 11 euros) to Bayonne train station, get to StJPDP, get an refuge or albergue, get a decent meal and a decent night and be ready to walk on your fantastic first leg bright and early.

I did this in Sep 05 and found it quite pleasant as opposed to staying in Bayonne overnight, get the train to StJPDP and only then get on the way.

Just an opinion !

Thanks Ulysse for this good advice

I had thought of this option but was concerned about two things:

-even with a taxi, I won't have a lot of time to catch the 18,11 train, especially if my flight is even a little late. I will also still need to buy the train ticket before boarding (and my French is not the best!!). I'm currently exploring ways I can buy the ticket in advance here in Italy.

-giving myself time to get my credencial and provisions ready for the early start on my first day's journey. I notice I would get in to St Jean PdP at around 19,30 if I manage to catch the 18,11 train from Bayonne. Wouldn't that be too late to get a credencial, or can I get it at the Rifugio??

Thanks again
John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can get a credential at "l’Accueil Saint-Jacques, 39 Rue de la Citadelle à Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port" (open from 1 march au 30 november). You can also sleep there. It is open late but you will have time to get it in the morning. You have also time to get your supplies in the morning.

If your plane is on time you will have time to get to the station and buy your ticket. It only takes 15 minutes between the airport and the train station. The airport is small and the luggage gets to you fairly quickly. The train station is also small and is far from crowded.

Buen camino.

train to st. jean

hi dawn here,

just returned 3 weeks ago, i will post information soon. getting back to the routine, but my it changes so much after walking 40 days!!!

I took the same flight.My plane landed at 5:15pm, i would suggest start chatting up to people on the plane and take a taxi, you will miss the last bus. the taxi now runs about 24 euro per car. the train which is a 2 cab car leaves at 6:15pm.6 euro. i would STRONGLY recommend if you have the time, get in to ST> JEAN get accomodation and don't leave till lunch the next day. you can stay at a hostel at orrision. it is crazy to do 28 km the first day. However one can get a stamp and passport till 9pm. don't worry, everything is SO WELL MARKED the trail is AMAZING. i had an AMAZING TIME AND PERFECT WEATHER>
write if you want more info. relax, take your time.
d

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello John,
I am afraid that I can't help you with your transportation queries however, I would also like to know of an inexpensive place to stay in Bayonne. I am flying in to Toulouse on August 27 and plan to take the train to Bayonne that day and stay overnight.

I would like to benefit from the same information.

Have a good flight!

Catherine

Hotel in Bayonne

If you need to stay over night walk out of the station in Bayonne and look left across the parking lot. There you will see the Hotel Paris Madrid which was run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois. A comfortable room was about 30 euros +/- a couple of years ago.

Hola! Not sure how to post.. o_O

Late bookings, so need a little help, please.. We fly into CDG on 8/21/14, take TGV to Bordeaux arriving @ 18:37. Should we procede onto SJPdP (too late?) or book a hotel in Bayonne near the bus station? If staying in Bayonne, any suggestion on where to stay and how to get to Bayonne from Biarritz train station? I do have a room booked in St. Jean, but check-out is 8 AM, so may cancel as I'm thinking we will need to sleep in the morning of the 22nd after 30+ hours of traveling. Thanks for any advise/wisdom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just get off at Bayonne. Trains to Biarritz go through Bayonne first.
I'm all confused. Our travel agent told us to book on RailEuropefrom CDG to Bordeaux. Now there are no tickets available to continue on to Bayonne. I also now realize Bayonne and Biarritz are only 10 minutes away from each other. Sitting here for 1/2 the day figuring this out is too much. I almost feel like it would be easier to walk from Bordeaux to SGPdP!:confused:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You'll get different results according the web site you use for purchasing. I have no problem using Capitaine Train, and in the previous note in this thread it's the SNCF site.

Thanks for helping me out/listening. I called RailEurope, talked with an agent. Now after landing at CDG, we have enough time to get to the train station below CDG, board train to Bordeaux and spend the night (arrive @ 6:30 pm), then the next day @ 12:47 depart Bordeaux to Bayonne, Bayonne to Cambo les Bains, then arrive in SJPdP @ 4:15 pm. Now just need to book a hotel in Bordeaux, hopefully near the Bordeaux St. Jean station.. From Bordeaux to SJPsP will add about $100 for 2 people. Just canceled the hostel in St. Jean for 8/21, as we won't be there.. not until the 22nd. Whew! Glad that's over and will confirm/pay for it tomorrow. Enough of this for one day.

Thanks for helping me out/listening. I called RailEurope, talked with an agent. Now after landing at CDG, we have enough time to get to the train station below CDG, board train to Bordeaux and spend the night (arrive @ 6:30 pm), then the next day @ 12:47 depart Bordeaux to Bayonne, Bayonne to Cambo les Bains, then arrive in SJPdP @ 4:15 pm. Now just need to book a hotel in Bordeaux, hopefully near the Bordeaux St. Jean station.. From Bordeaux to SJPsP will add about $100 for 2 people. Just canceled the hostel in St. Jean for 8/21, as we won't be there.. not until the 22nd. Whew! Glad that's over and will confirm/pay for it tomorrow. Enough of this for one day.

You've got a viable plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see this thread has been bumped. The best ever option for accommodation in Bayonne is with Catharina Bodenstein who opens her tiny flat one block back from the river to pilgrims on a donativo basis. She lets you use the kitchen (although there are many eating options nearby if you prefer). She makes (mostly organic) breakfast and fine conversation for you in the morning.
catharina.bodenstein@me.com

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back