• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz Airport to Belorado?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

A friend and I are hopefully going to be doing a couple of weeks on the Frances in mid-to-late March, and are currently looking at the best options for travelling over.

My friend has been doing the Camino in stages and hopes to finish the full route this year by walking from Belorado to O Cebreiro. It may seem odd at first glance that she won't be finishing in Santiago, but this is how it has worked out and she's not overly bothered by it. She joined me from O Cebreiro as I was walking the full route in 2012 and we went on to Santiago and the coast, then in 2014 she walked from St Jean to Belorado,. hence starting there this time!

Anyway, we're looking at our flight options, one of which is to fly direct from Dublin to Biarritz on March 17, arriving at around 12.30pm, which looks nice on paper. However, I'm wondering what would be the best way to get from Biarritz Airport to Belorado. Based on a web search, it looks like a long bus ride via Bilbao, of about 5 hours. Depending on when the first bus leaves after arriving, it might be 6 or 7pm before we get to Belorao. All in all, it doesn't feel very attractive, so I'm wondering if anyone might be aware of a better (faster!) way to get to Belorado from the airport?

Our other alternative is to overnight in London on March 17th, get a morning flight to Bilbao on the 18th and get a bus to Belorado from there. There's nothing wrong with that idea, but a direct flight from Ireland would be more convenient and, in this instance, would also offer us an extra day!

Thank you in advance for all suggestions!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nops, at least 5 hours travel time it is (unless you rent a car/get a car share) see http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Biarritz/Belorado
Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for that. Yeah, that rome2rio site popped up when I went searching. The car rental idea doesn't sound great, and I suppose a car share would be unlikely, given that I doubt many people would be going to Belorado from the Airport.

Oh well, I guess there's a decision to be made!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark,

I don't know about travel from Biarritz. I imagine it will be complicated, but I could be wrong!

Another option is to fly to Madrid, get a bus (Alsa) from T4 to Burgos (which takes 2.5 hours from the airport) and a local bus to Belorado (40 mins). We did this in 2014, as we ended our 2013 Camino in Belorado.

You probably know that the Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to Bilbao will resume on 29 March - Tuesdays and Saturdays, arriving in Bilbao at 16.20. If you spend a night in Bilbao, there's a fast bus to Burgos at 8am, arriving in Burgos at 9.45am. You could then get a local bus or a taxi to Belorado and start walking right away.

Good luck with the planning!

Nuala

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another option is to fly to Madrid, get a bus (Alsa) from T4 to Burgos (which takes 2.5 hours from the airport) and a local bus to Belorado (40 mins). We did this in 2014, as we ended our 2013 Camino in Belorado.

Absolutely agree. Great connections all the way.

Hi Mark,

I don't know about travel from Biarritz. I imagine it will be complicated, but I could be wrong!

You probably know that the Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to Bilbao will resume on 29 March - Tuesdays and Saturdays, arriving in Bilbao at 16.20. If you spend a night in Bilbao, there's a fast bus to Burgos at 8am, arriving in Burgos at 9.45am. You could then get a local bus or a taxi to Belorado and start walking right away.

Good luck with the planning!

Nuala

That's great, Nuala. Thanks very much. I'll investigate all that, but it certainly sounds good!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transports64 bus 816 (Euskadi express) from Biarritz airport to Hendaye. (some buses go onward to Irun Renfe Station)

Donostealdea Metro (Euskotren) from Hendaia to Irun Colon station.

Walk across the bridge over the tracks to Irun Renfe Station.

Estellesa bus from Irun Renfe Station to Logrono. (You can also catch the Estellesa bus at its stop on the Spain side of Puente de Santiago ... a short walk from Gare Hendaye)

Autobuses Jiminez from Logrono to Belorado.

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/Reseau?lang=fr

Estellesa
http://www.laestellesa.com/es/rutas-regulares

Autobuses Jiminez
http://www.grupo-jimenez.com/venta_billetes.html

Donostialdea Metro (euskotren)
http://www.euskotren.eus/es/presentacioneuskotren

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back