• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz airport to SJPP 1st Sept 2023

pete1907

Time of past OR future Camino
24-28th May 2016 Sarria to Santiago.
Transport sharing Biarritz airport to SJPP. I am arriving into Biarritz airport on 1st September (2023) ar 2110. I've looked into sharing transport and the total cost is 150 euros. I'd like to share the transport and cost with any other pilgrims who need the ride. Doing it this way avoids an overnight stay in Biarritz/Bayonne and allows starting the camino the following day. If anyone would like to share, or can offer any advice on how to 'recruit' people to share the transport please reply to this. The company I've been quoted by is VTC Harispe. Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Pete. If you are leaving Biarritz airport after 9pm, and travelling to SJPP that. night, it could be a good idea to check that you can check in to your accommodation in SJPP at such a late hour.

I know you said you want to avoid an overnight stay but if you did stay in Bayonne there is usually an early am train from Bayonne around 6.45 that gets you to SJPP before 8am. It’s a short walk from the train station to the centre of SJPP and the start of the Frances 😎

Hi Pete. If you are leaving Biarritz airport after 9pm, and travelling to SJPP that. night, it could be a good idea to check that you can check in to your accommodation in SJPP at such a late hour.

I know you said you want to avoid an overnight stay but if you did stay in Bayonne there is usually an early am train from Bayonne around 6.45 that gets you to SJPP before 8am. It’s a short walk from the train station to the centre of SJPP and the start of the Frances 😎
Hi Pelerina, many thanks, I was hoping to get to SJPP and have a good sleep before starting my camino but you've given another idea now...thanks! The taxi is 150 euros, so if I don't get anyone to share then its gonna be an expensive journey! And as you say, I'd best check re hotels letting people in after 10pm. Thankfully I do have a few months to get the plan right! Cheers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pelerína has a great suggestion. The cost of lodging may be slightly less in SJPdP but there are several reasonably priced hotel across the street from the Bayone Gare. It also means you can find a place for dinner in Bayonne which would be problematic late at night in Saint Jean. Besides saving you a considerable hassle and cost trying to get there overnight.

Last edited:
Pelegrína has a great suggestion. The cost of lodging may be slightly less in SJPdP but there are several reasonably priced hotel across the street from the Bayone Gare. It also means you can find a place for dinner in Bayonne which would be problematic late at night in Saint Jean. Besides saving you a considerable hassle and cost trying to get there overnight.
Hi Estorildon, thanks for your reply, your comments are very good and I agree. The one downside is that the train at 0640 isn't running on the 2nd Sept, so I'd have to get a later train which means my walk to Roncesvalles would be tricky time wise! Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pete,

according to my information the first train to depart Bayonne towards SJPdP on sept 2nd is at 08:16 a.m. Arrival will be at 09:17 a.m.
I can recommend a nice and cosy hotel right across the street at bayonne railway station: Hôtel Côte Basques.

From airport Biarritz take bus line no. 4 to Bayonne gare (SNCF).
The ride takes about 35 minutes and the ticket costs you just 1 Euro.
The ticket for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP will cost 10,70€.

I think the overnight option in Bayonne is worth it.

Buen camino
Uwe

Hi Pete,

according to my information the first train to depart Bayonne towards SJPdP on sept 2nd is at 08:16 a.m. Arrival will be at 09:17 a.m.
I can recommend a nice and cosy hotel right across the street at bayonne railway station: Hôtel Côte Basques.

From airport Biarritz take bus line no. 4 to Bayonne gare (SNCF).
The ride takes about 35 minutes and the ticket costs you just 1 Euro.
The ticket for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP will cost 10,70€.

I think the overnight option in Bayonne is worth it.

Buen camino
Uwe
Hi Uwe, many thanks indeed, I really appreciate your help and recommendations. Hope to see you on the camino! Pete

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @pete1907, if you do decide to continue on to SJPdP, can recommend Itzalpea. If your looking for a room. They kindly left a key in a drop box near the front door. This meant we could arrive late and still leave early. We left the key in the same box as we left. Picked up a stamp for our credentials at the boulangerie on the way out of town. So we didn’t have to wait for the Pilgrims Office to open. Not much was open when we left at 6:00am.

We used Express Bourricot recommended/suggested by Rachel from Seattle. They picked us up at the airport (driver came inside and had a sign with our names on it) and dropped us at the front door.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi @pete1907, if you do decide to continue on to SJPdP, can recommend Itzalpea. If your looking for a room. They kindly left a key in a drop box near the front door. This meant we could arrive late and still leave early. We left the key in the same box as we left. Picked up a stamp for our credentials at the boulangerie on the way out of town. So we didn’t have to wait for the Pilgrims Office to open. Not much was open when we left at 6:00am.

We used Express Bourricot recommended/suggested by Rachel from Seattle. They picked us up at the airport (driver came inside and had a sign with our names on it) and dropped us at the front door.

Buen Camino
This is useful info, Sidknee. Saving it for next time. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi again Pete. As your camino is not until September, and you are open to suggestions, maybe you can wrangle an extra day? If so, Bayonne is well worth a half a day at the very least. Take the bus or a taxi from Biarritz airport, check in to a hotel near Bayonne station, then the next morning walk around this delightful Basque town, then an afternoon train to SJPP, and enjoy a leisurely afternoon / evening there too. … if you can wrangle the extra day I’m positive you won’t regret it 😎

Last edited:
Hi again Pete. As your camino is not until September, and you are open to suggestions, maybe you can wrangle an extra day? If so, Bayonne is well worth a half a day at the very least. Take the bus or a taxi from Biarritz airport, check in to a hotel near Bayonne station, then the next morning walk around this delightful Basque town, then an afternoon train to SJPP, and enjoy a leisurely afternoon / evening there too. … if you can wrangle the extra day I’m positive you won’t regret it 😎
Hi Pelerina, many thanks, thats a grand idea! I'm so excited about starting the camino that I seem to have excluded options such as you suggest! I've already booked my accommodation at Roncevalles on the 2nd Sept so I'm committed to starting on that day. Here's an idea....I'll do as you suggest next year when I do it again! Many thanks for your continued help. Pete

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back