Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Biarritz or Bayonne?

Camino(s) past & future
May-July 2018
We are planning to spend our first night after flying into Paris in either Biarritz or Bayonne before heading on to SJPdP. Opinions as to which? Will be about May 23. Thanks!

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
The Côte Basque is a simple but comfortable hotel right near the train station in Bayonne, and the city and Cathedral are lovely to explore. So Bayonne is my choice, but then I like cathedrals more than beaches.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte
We are planning to spend our first night after flying into Paris in either Biarritz or Bayonne before heading on to SJPdP. Opinions as to which? Will be about May 23. Thanks!
This might depend on your budget. Biarritz was a lot more expensive than Bayonne for accommodation when I was there a couple of years ago. I liked Bayonne very much. And lots of places to stay near the train station, so then you can catch the first train to St Jean next morning.
Jill

ChuckM

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017), Camino Norte (2019)
Last September after staying one night in Paris we went to Biarritz. Loved it. My wife and I are hoping someday to just go back there and spend a week. As it's a resort town it's not inexpensive however. We stayed at Hotel de la Plage which was very nice right across the street from the beach.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018
The first train from Bayonne to SJPP leaves around 7:45am, arriving in SJ about an hour later. If you plan to walk on immediately on arrival in SJ, stay in Bayonne to make it easier to take the first train. If you aren't in a hurry.....? Choice is yours.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
October 2013
2nd Camino Starting April (2018)
I’ll be doing the same thing a few weeks earlier, flying into Paris and doing a train. After over 30 hours of travel Bayonne is my choice for a quiet nights rest before heading into SJ. It’s cheaper than Baritz... although saying that my hotel booking cost me a tad more than in ‘13. I like the peace so I can contemplate before I set off.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2014 2015
Lourdes to SdC 2016
Sarria to SdC April & Oct 2016
Camino Baztan June 2017
If you want to avoid the rush for beds in Roncesvalles, there is a route directly from Bayonne Cathedral to Pamplona Cathedral called the Camino Baztan. It takes 5 days and is very tough but very beautiful and definitely the road less travelled.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • April

Votes: 47 18.7%
  • May

Votes: 59 23.4%
  • June