• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to Irun - easier by train or bus..?

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino: Inglés, June '23
Hi all,

I'm flying in from Southampton UK to Biarritz tomorrow and need to get to Irun for the evening to start the Norte on Wednesday. My planning has gone awry as it was one of my closest friend's funeral today, all too sudden and unexpected :( A big concern right now is how best to get to Irun as quickly as possible from Biarritz airport.

Is the general consensus that the train is quicker and easier than the bus? And is it realistic to walk from the airport to the station, or should I get a bus or taxi?

Many thanks for any last minute suggestions... I'll be online checking this wonderful forum in the morning at Southampton airport! So looking forward to my first Camino. Pete

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Euskadi express bus #816 from Biarritz Airport to Gare d'Hendaye. Some buses go on to Irun. It runs hourly.

http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Donostialdea Metro goes from Gare d'Hendaye to Irun (several stops)

Train is faster than the bus but first you have to get from the airport to Gare Biarritz (use Chronoplus bus #C). The Transports64 bus goes more frequently and takes about an hour. You can do the arithmetic.

The metro Donostialdea is also known as the "Euskotren" (or coloquially, as "the topo"). You can see schedules from Hendaye to Irún here
If needed, from Hendaye station to Irún is not far, a half and hour walk, over the bridge.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you guys for your reassurance , I'm now waiting for the 816 euskadi express Biarritz to Hendaye, right outside the airport.. Just 2 euros!

Love this forum

Thank you guys for your reassurance , I'm now waiting for the 816 euskadi express Biarritz to Hendaye, right outside the airport.. Just 2 euros!

Love this forum

Pete,
Now that you are truly on your way Buen Camino and in the truest sense Ultreia!

If needed in Hendaye a simple, pleasant hotel close to the railroad station is the Hotel de la Gare.
http://www.hoteldelagare-palombebleue.com/

There also is a local pilgrim albergue nearby.
http://www.irunhondarribiahendaye.c...5&alojamiento=peregrinosHendaya&cat=8&lang=fr

Since you may be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it last autumn. See more here http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Take care and do let all your Forum friends know how your journey goes.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words and advice mspath.

Unfortunately I only read your reply after reaching my hotel... From tomorrow it's likely to be albergues much of the time but tonight I wanted to allow myself more space and time to get prepared without disturbing others.

I wanted to see how easy it was to find the signs in town So did a test walk of 4 kms, but really struggled and had to keep using the guidebook and map, but it did get easier once out of Irun. Probably that I'm not yet 'tuned in' to the arrows and shells..

I cannot tell you how excited I was this evening just getting out of town on the paths.... Now to sleep and off to San Sebastián in the morning. Wow!!!! Can't believe I'm here!!!

Pete

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Pete, my condolences on the death of your friend; I am sure you will think of him/her often as you walk. But glad to hear you have finally got started. The yellow arrows are not always obvious, so stay focused as you walk through big towns. You’ll soon get the hang of it :). When my newbie friend joined me for a few days out of Porto, and she was walking ahead, I had to call out to her a few times that we turn right / left here, as she had completely missed the arrow. They are not always where you expect them to be. I have sometimes missed a turn because a vehicle was parked in front of the arrow on the kerb or lamp post. Enjoy your first camino and keep us posted! I will be behind you in a few weeks time (God willing), meeting friends in Irun on 8 Oct. Jill

Thanks Jill. Today was stunning and I met a seasoned pilgrim from Germany and we fell into each other's company so that helped me learn the ropes a little... The most important lesson being if there's a church, there will be a bar opposite!!

I am surprised at how many people are doing the Northern Way. The albergue juvenil in San Sebastián is large but thank goodness we booked ahead as it's full and so are most of the places tomorrow night ahead of us.

I'm sure it will be much less busy when you get here. San Sebastián is gorgeous by the way, but a tough 30km walk to get here from Irun - the albergue juvenil is on the far side of town. Pete

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back