• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to Irun

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Use Rome to Rio from Biarritz airport to Hendaye, France. Hendaye borders Irun and you can walk from the Hendaye train station into Irun.

Rome2rio is a great source of information, but it often misses local bus lines, including what may be your most efficient option. Carexpress bus company's #3 bus goes directly from Biarritz airport to the Hendaye train station ("Gare"), from where you walk over the bridge to Irun, as noted above.

Their schedule shows buses every 2 hours this Sunday (more on other days of the week). Length of travel is 1 hour. This will probably be a lot more efficient than taking a bus into Biarritz, Bayonne, or St. Luz, and waiting around for a train connection to Hendaye.

Here's the web site for Carexpress: https://www.carexpress-hendaye-bayonne.fr/#nav

Btw, I found this option using Google maps, which allows you to search for public transit options from place to place. I find that for local travel, either within a town or between nearby towns, it often gives you more precise options than does Rome2rio. In any event, try both.

For anyone else reading this post, there seem to be other direct bus options with Alsa bus and Pesa bus, which also go on into SpaIn, but not on Sundays, which is when the OP is traveling.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Simple. You can walk from Biarritz airport to the train station in half an hour or less, jump in any train to Hendaye, walk across the bridge and you are in Irun, yellow arrows and all.

I‘d suggest you to walk from Biarritz airport to Hendaye/Irun.
It‘s a pleasant 2 days walk with short distances to get used to walking.
mostly along the Biscay Bay (Voile littorale).
There is an albergue in St. Jean de Luz.

The way is well signmarked.

Buen camino
The coastal path from St Jean de Luz to Hendaye is partly closed due to cliff erosion so you might be better to take the inland route via Urrugne. You could take the foot ferry from Hendaye marina to Hondarrabia and from there it is up the hill to Guadeloupe. There is a good bus service from Biarritz airport to Hendaye

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi mario,
depending on your schedule and time of arrival at Biarritz... a few thoughts:
Buses around there are rarer at the weekends and the summer timetables tend to finish end of August. So if you find a timetable, make sure it's the one from September onwards.
I haven't done this for a few years, but when I did, my flights tend to bring me in mid-late afternoon to Biarritz. I always opted for the half-hour train journey from Biarritz station, where there was a regular service through to Hendaye, even at weekends.
The Ligne C Chronobus took me from the airport to the station, so if it's still a thing, and the timetable suits on a Sunday, then that's a good option. If not, I think it's less than ten euros by taxi.
One day I'll do GraemeHall's option above - and just walk to the station from the airport! His advice to walk across the old bridge at Hendaye into Spain is good too - and there you should spot your first yellow arrow.
Cheers, tom

You can walk there it’s a beautiful walk :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen camino
I agree with you completely. If I ever walk the Norte again I will do that for sure. It is a tough first day. from Irun. I looked at Gronze and I would do it in 3 days. It is a long way to Santiago and I have the luxury of time so why not.

Buen camino

I walked that once, from Bayonne. It was a really nice walk. I slept on the beach (Plage d'Uhabla) just outside Bidart. The coast walk at Hendaye was really nice too. I didn't think much of Irun though. Would definitely walk that way again in the future.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.