• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port?

Darren John

Hello Camino Community,

I was wondering what was the fastest and cheapest and best way to get from the Airport in Biarritz to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to start my Camino? Any suggestions please....

Many Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. It can all be done for about 10euro. Once you land, step out front and you will easily see the local bus into Bayonne. Well marked, it is. That brings you to the train/bus station in Bayonne where you either take the train (if running) or the bus in shared area for the same cost. It's a smooth ride and well priced, as mentioned. There is no need to book these in advance as they are local. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Camino Community,

I was wondering what was the fastest and cheapest and best way to get from the Airport in Biarritz to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to start my Camino? Any suggestions please....

Many Thanks!
I am taking Express Bourricot from Biarritz to SJPdP. Depending on how many end up in your "car", it can be quite reasonable. Contact them through their website. http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/

Yes, all of the above. If you strike lucky with Express Bourricot, and they have 4 others already booked, the fare will be 18 euros. Right now the train from Bayonne only goes about halfway, as the line is still out due to flooding, and the journey is continued by bus.
My advice, book with Bourricot, and it's a good chance there will be enough others on the same flight into Biarritz so the fare is reasonable. Of course there are taxis at the airport, and if 4 get together it will be around 25 euros each.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The train time Bayonne to SJPdP (actually train and bus currently) is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

That's really great info! what's the journey time like on the train/ bus to SJPDP?
It's about an hour on the bus. And very pleasant as it will be filled with other pilgrims such as yourself. Upon arrival to St Jean , it is no more than a 3 or 5 min walk to the Pilgrims office where you are heartily welcomed, given your passport, shell, printed info re albergues and route. You will be registered, your name and country will be written "in the books", questions will be answered, help in all matters smilingly assisted and you are off!

The train and bus combo noted above by Falcon will be in use at least until 4 July 2015. However the ticket you get for the train also includes the bus; the same fee covers both transports.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a query... if I get to st Jean Pied do port late Friday evening and want to start walking to Roncesvalles the next day what time does the pilgrim's office in St jean open on Saturday morning ???? If it is late morning it could prove a problem making it to Roncesvalles... many thanks if anyone can reply to this

I have a query... if I get to st Jean Pied do port late Friday evening and want to start walking to Roncesvalles the next day what time does the pilgrim's office in St jean open on Saturday morning ???? If it is late morning it could prove a problem making it to Roncesvalles... many thanks if anyone can reply to this

John,
In Saint-Jean the Pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. The Pilgrim office is open every day from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
gosh thankyou very much Margaret! that is so helpful.
so nervous about my first day and am arriving on fri 13th March very imminently .... if Napoleon is blocked by snow I hope the Valcarlos route won't be!!

Interested Riders?????

I will be arriving into Biarritz airport on Thursday - April 29th at 12:30 pm. Working with http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/ for transportation to SJPdP by 3:00 p.m. If you are interested, please let me know. Buen Camino...
I was going to say the same thing Phillip.

We have a pool going on the 28th April with the service. I think Suzanne is going before us. For me this cuts 3 hours off my arrival time in St. Jean. After a 5+hour train ride, I think it worth the extra few Euros. I think she can take up to 8, but the best price comes with 4 or more people.

So for me, fastest outweighs cheapest. :)

Best of luck with planning,
NP

Hi we are newbie camino walkers and arrive on 1st October at 12:35 want to walk to orrison that day and the express bouricot service is booked. Does anyone know how much the train costs and would we make the 13:13 service from Biarritz. I have a quote from a taxi service but they are charging €120 to St jean de port which is a bit too expensive. Also what are the options about getting back from Pamplona to Biarritz. Thanks a mill.

Hi we are newbie camino walkers and arrive on 1st October at 12:35 want to walk to orrison that day and the express bouricot service is booked. Does anyone know how much the train costs and would we make the 13:13 service from Biarritz. I have a quote from a taxi service but they are charging €120 to St jean de port which is a bit too expensive. Also what are the options about getting back from Pamplona to Biarritz. Thanks a mill.

Take Chronoplus bus #14 from Biarritz Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne. 1348 - 1406 ... or 1418 - 1438.

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Take SNCF train TER 62 from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP 1455 or 1810

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

Yeah you could try to catch the 1313 train to Bayonne at Biarritz. You'd need to take a taxi and you should be in the taxi not later than 1253 ... allowing 10 minute taxi and 10 minutes to get a ticket and board the train. Not likely ... I'd plan on the bus.

The other option is Express Bourricot, a private hire taxi that caters to pilgrims.

At Pamplona take CONDA (ALSA) Bus to San Sebastian.

Take either of

ALSA bus or PESA bus from Donostia/San Sebastian to Biarritz Airport, or,

Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian (Renfe co-located with new bus station) to Irun Renfe station, Donostialdea Metro from Colon station (located across the road to north and across the bridge over tracks from Renfe station) to Hendaia (co-located with Gare d'Hendaye) Take Transports64 Euskadi Express bus 816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz Airport. This option runs more frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your previous answer. Just thought I'd check if anyone would like to share a taxi from Biarritz airport this Saturday 1st October to St Jean Pied de Port. At around 1pm as we really want to walk to Orrison on sat. Thanks.

Hell. My only option is 9pm train to Sjpdp. Is it reasonable to arrive at 10 pm? Can i check in that late? In january?

Hell. My only option is 9pm train to Sjpdp. Is it reasonable to arrive at 10 pm? Can i check in that late? In january?

Perhaps this will help.

The SJPdP Pilgrim Office is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and generally from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night.

If you telephone them at
+33 5 59 37 05 09
from Bayonne and mention your plans they should stay open even in January to help assist you.
One past January when all was closed in SJPdP I slept inside their office with 4 other very late arrivals.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back