• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to SJPDP

walkinglobster

Hi

Hope someone can help me. Me and my sister are flying to Biarritz in Sept and I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an airport bus that goes to Bayonne station and then a train to SJPDP. Is this correct?

Oh, and actually I have a second question too. We are planning to do the walk to Ronscavelles in two sections, staying overnight at the auberge d'Orisson. Will I be able to get directions from the pilgrim office in SJPDP? We are both quite nervous about this stage of the trip and don't want to get lost. I've got the CSJ guidebook but it's vague, just saying that the auberge is about 5 km on from Hunto but 5km on the road? on a path? I'm hoping that after a few days we'll both be a bit more confident about navigating our way through the Spanish countryside but I'd rather know exactly where we're going at first!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
walkinglobster said:
I've got the CSJ guidebook but it's vague, just saying that the auberge is about 5 km on from Hunto but 5km on the road? on a path?

Orisson is smack-dab on the Camino. This section of the trail is on a paved road. On one side of the road there is a deck with a water fountain overlooking a spectacular view, on the other side of the road the albergue building nestles against the mountainside. The only ways you could miss it is to take a seriously wrong turn, or somehow fall off the mountain... :wink: :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is an airport information desk which has information on the bus to the train station in Bayonne. However, if you're one of the last getting off the plane, just head outside & stand in the queue of folks wearing backpacks. Chances are, they're going your way. ;)

As for Orisson, make sure you make a reservation there well in advance of your trip & bring the email confirming your reservation with you. Otherwise, if it really will take you 2 days to get to Roncesvalles, you might have to take the Valcarlos route & stay in Valcarlos. (Casa Marcelino is a nice place).

Kelly

You wouldn't be the first person to get lost on their first day!
In his book "Off the Road" Jack Hitt writes about leaving St Jean, expecting to have the river on his right and mountain on his left, nothing is as it should be and after almost a whole day of walking he finally sees a town in the distance - only to discover that it is St Jean! He has walked in a huge circle!
You can take a train from Biarritz to St Jean via Bayonne: http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
You take the #6 bus from the Biarritz airport to the Bayonne train station. It leaves about every 30 minutes and takes about 45 minutes.
Or: Train to Bayonne then bus or train to St Jean Pied de Port.
Bus timetable to St Jean here: http://www2.ter-sncf.com/Images/Bayonne ... -21351.pdf

You can book ahead at the refuge Espirit in St Jean - hubertarno@espritduchemin.org,
http://www.espritduchemin.org/ (They have a nice map of St Jean showing you the route from the train 'gare' to the rue de citadlle.)

You can book ahead at Orisson here:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Ok, I have found a bed in St. Jean on 18th of august. The owner even offered us a lift from the station (at 10:20pm) for additional 5euros, which I have agreed to. The price is 65 euros for a room wih bathroom (for 2 people- one double bed or 2 singles- he's got 2 rooms on offer) and Breakfast is included. Tim- the owner responded to my e-mail after 30minutes. The place is:
http://www.errecaldia.com/
Now we can walk to Roscenvalles, as we wanted to originally- on 19th of august. And we don't have to stop for night in Bayonne.
Could anyone just help me with directions from train station to bus platform in Bayonne (we will have only 1 hour to change train to bus).

Kuba.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back