• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to SJPDP

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Looking for ways to get to SJPDP from Biarritz - no trains - and for this coming weekend please!!! Is taxi the only option? There are 4 of us. Any ideas of the cost? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looking for ways to get to SJPDP from Biarritz - no trains - and for this coming weekend please!!! Is taxi the only option? There are 4 of us. Any ideas of the cost? Thanks

1. Taxi. The cost is per taxi. so, the more that share, the cheaper it is. Approximately a Euro per kilometer.

2. Walk to the main airport entrance and look for fellow pilgrims -- packs, shells, patches, anxious expressions :). Ask if anyone would like to share a taxi, or if anyone has space to share a ride. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few takers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Gumba, taxi may well be your only option if trains are not running. Express Bourricot is closed until the 16th of March 2020 and I doubt that you can drop off a hired car in SJPP. Über is quoted as €74-99 on some website, Express Bourricot would have been €84, I would expect a taxi in France on the weekend to be higher, €100-120. Rome2rio quotes €110-140 for a taxi, distance is around 55 km, they list two taxi operators taxi-pays-basque.com phone +33 6 80 61 03 58 and bayonne-radio-taxi.com phone +33 5 59 59 48 48.

Bon voyage!!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, an in a bit of a tiz at the moment - am looking at airlines to see - might extend a day in Paris and see if the train can be booked for the next day - am not sure, still exploring options. I thought Express B had wound up for the season. Might have to catch a taxi and hope our insurance will cover it.....

thanks everyone, keeps the suggestions coming!!!!

Thanks again everyone. I was able to change the dates of the train tickets. Airline tickets from Paris were too expensive (around 1330 Euro). I am somewhat uplifted by being 'forced' to spend an extra day in Paris. Fingers crossed that there is no strike on our new travel day...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And a wonderful idea, unfortunately we will not have the time to walk from Biarritz all the way to SdC.

Be carefull because now it's winter and Express Bourricot is closed and there is not taxi too. You can go to Bayonne train station by bus and after from Bayonne to SJPP by train or bus

Thanks Mona, everything is a bit trickier in winter! We look forward to meeting you or your team next week :)

There is bus service -11- from Gare Bayonne to St Palais and -10- St Palais to SJPdP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Taxi from Biarritz expensive, better to catch bus f to bayon for a couple of euros or less, then bus to St John, if no bus the taxi from there about 30 euros cheaper than airport

Probably too late for this weekend BUT there is always HITCH HIKING.
Safety in pairs, yes, but with the gear you’re carrying it is pretty obvious what you are about.
Personally I have hitched hundreds of kilometres in Europe - to/from strategic points to then follow walking trails. And, when driving myself, of course glad to pay back the favour!

How are things working out for you Gumba? I am projecting about the cold because it is very cold these days in Dublin, hope you are safe and warm and not fretting at the moment. What a stressful start... I look froward to the post where you tell us you are in SJPdP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is bus service -11- from Gare Bayonne to St Palais and -10- St Palais to SJPdP.

👏👏👏 you from Canada you know all better like us all to go from Bayonne to SJPP. We live here and we have all informations about our place. Please let us work

Probably too late for this weekend BUT there is always HITCH HIKING.
Safety in pairs, yes, but with the gear you’re carrying it is pretty obvious what you are about.
Personally I have hitched hundreds of kilometres in Europe - to/from strategic points to then follow walking trails. And, when driving myself, of course glad to pay back the favour!
Yes, good idea but ... there are four of them 😀😉

How are things working out for you Gumba? I am projecting about the cold because it is very cold these days in Dublin, hope you are safe and warm and not fretting at the moment. What a stressful start... I look froward to the post where you tell us you are in SJPdP.
Yes do let us know Gumba. I really hope it’s all going alright for you and your family 🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone, thanks again for your help. So far so good, we arrived in Paris this afternoon. We will spend a day sight seeing in Paris, boys have already planned what they want to see :). We rebooked for Monday and have received another email from SNCF, this time confirming, yay. So far so good. Enjoying the cool weather, it is supposed to be 45 deg Celsius in our home town next week :eek:. Thank you all, once again

Hello everyone, thanks again for your help. So far so good, we arrived in Paris this afternoon. We will spend a day sight seeing in Paris, boys have already planned what they want to see :). We rebooked for Monday and have received another email from SNCF, this time confirming, yay. So far so good. Enjoying the cool weather, it is supposed to be 45 deg Celsius in our home town next week :eek:. Thank you all, once again
Enjoy my home city 😎 I read about the extreme temperatures in Australia...
Hope it all goes alright for you and you have a great time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Je ne comprend pas.
I think I understood the comment 🤔.

We all try to be helpful from behind our screens around the world but sometimes it shows that we lack local knowledge or we don‘t really understand what we are advising, for example to take two buses and make a big detour in order to get from A to B and then from B to C on a weekend .... when in reality there are no busses at all on Sundays and the buses on Saturday are scheduled in such a way that you can go from Bayonne to Saint Palais on a Saturday evening but you are then stuck in Saint Palais for one and a half day until Monday morning when you can take the next available bus to SJPP.

Also, what apparently most of us non-locals didn’t know until a local person mentioned it: during the train strike, the French rail company SNCF puts on busses that replace some of the cancelled trains, and that includes the line Bayonne-SJPP.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Domigee, we had a wonderful day exploring your beautiful city, perhaps our train delay was a blessing in disguise. I will confirm once we are in sjpdp. The extra day to get over the jet lag has also been great.

Thank you all, I feel that you have become our cheer squad :)

How exciting to be almost on the Camino! Do you have a date for your arrival in Santiago? I am starting in Sarria on 18 January, arriving in Santiago on 22 - my BIG birthday 🎂 Maybe see you along the Way. Buen Camino

What a sham, we will arrive a day or two earlier as we fly out on 22nd. You never never know on the Camino, our paths may cross; look out for us, a family of 4 Aussies :)

Thank you all, I feel that you have become our cheer squad
@Gumba, we are all rooting for you on this thread. I see that there’s a train that left Paris Montparnasse this morning and is between Bordeaux and Dax right now and I wonder whether there are at least 4 Aussies on it. The wonders of modern technology and the internet ...☺

Last edited:
There are 4 Aussies on it. Have JUST been told no train from Bayonne to sjpdp. I see one VERY EXPENSIVE taxi ride ahead. Have decided to now start in Roncesvalles so 2 taxis :( thanks for asking :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If there's no train is there not a bus replacement service from Bayonne to SJPdP?

Last edited:
So glad to see you are speeding down towards your starting point. As I am ignorant of local affairs, I leave suggestions to others. You seem to be inventive. You will get there. Sleep well tonight! and as a result of all of this, you need to keep us all in the loop at least till you have found your camino legs!

Just back from pilgrims mass at Roncesvalles, yay! Fleur, I did not hear anything about a bus. In desperation we caught at taxi to sjpdp 110 euros, went to the pilgrims office to a wonderful greeting of 'ah, you are the Australian family, I have heard about you' haha. Spent some time exploring the citadelle and then caught a taxi to Roncesvalles (€55). We are a day behind and rather than skip a leg we decided to start here. We begin our Camino tomorrow. There are 9 of us here, 3 Sth Koreans, an Italian, a south American plus us. The priest took us on a guided tour which was amazing. He introduced us to everyone as 'the Australian family'!! Am exhausted so off to bed. Again that's for your support xo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We will be awaiting progress reports. Hopefully after all the hassle you're now on the right track. Take care.
Buen Camino.

There are 4 Aussies on it. Have JUST been told no train from Bayonne to sjpdp. I see one VERY EXPENSIVE taxi ride ahead. Have decided to now start in Roncesvalles so 2 taxis :( thanks for asking :)

Continue from Bayonne to Irun. Take Renfe train from Irun to San Sebastian. ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona. Artieda bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

Or taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

Thanks Donjek, we ended up catching a taxi. We had put aside a bit of money for accommodation upgrades so we diverted it to the taxi fares.

So... We started out today most of us together (US and 3 other pilgrims), exchanging phones for the obligatory 790km to Santiago road sign photos but the others soon forged on ahead; taking a leaf out of Andy Wild's blog we are akin to team tortoise!! The first we 10 km were wonderful, like coming home in a way - dispite the 5mm of rain and hail. After lunch the sun came out and we set off for the second part to the sound of rumbling-down-the valley ongoing thunder. I had heard the the leg in to Zubiri wa wicked but omg that was seriously next level!!! Never want to do that again. Last time our (then) 9y.o inadvertantly stepped on ice whiched turned out to be a knee deep ice puddle at that place with the stepping blocks over the river. As a result we caught a taxi from the next town to Zubiri - we were in falling snow so wanted to get him changed asap.

Dinner to be cooked and a wine bottle-opener to be found. Enjoy your evening folks

Needless to say, exhausted but proud of ourselves!

Just back from pilgrims mass at Roncesvalles, yay! Fleur, I did not hear anything about a bus. In desperation we caught at taxi to sjpdp 110 euros, went to the pilgrims office to a wonderful greeting of 'ah, you are the Australian family, I have heard about you' haha. Spent some time exploring the citadelle and then caught a taxi to Roncesvalles (€55). We are a day behind and rather than skip a leg we decided to start here. We begin our Camino tomorrow. There are 9 of us here, 3 Sth Koreans, an Italian, a south American plus us. The priest took us on a guided tour which was amazing. He introduced us to everyone as 'the Australian family'!! Am exhausted so off to bed. Again that's for your support xo

Glad to hear you are on your way! Say hello when you arrive in Santiago!
BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back