• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to SJPP in the evening

Hitman0

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2022
I am arriving in Biarritz by air at 5:45 pm, May 2 and am trying to figure out if it is practical to travel to SJPP in the evening and start my Camino early the next morning or if it makes more sense to overnight in Biarritz/Bayonne and travel to SJPP first thing in the morning and start a little later. Any advice would be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It totally depends on how and where you are arriving. If you have been traveling for days, SJPdP will still be there the next morning and you will be refreshed after spending the night in Bayonne or Biarritz. Both cities have lots of dining option and you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to stay even though that is a day after a big holiday. Several reliable places near the train station in Bayonne and my new fav in Biaritz, Hotel St. James, is next to the marche with all of it's restaurants and tapas bars.

I arrived at the Biarritz airport last April about the same time in the evening. I would strongly advise you take a room in Bayonne, preferably near the train station, then catch your train at about 11am the next morning. This will give you ample time to arive in SJPdP, get to the Pilgim Office for your credential and other helpful information, find an albergue, and get a good meal in you for your start the next morning. Don't rush it. Take your time and enjoy every minute. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember planning this and expecting to arrive at the exact same time, with the same dilemma, thinking that I could probably just share a taxi with other pilgrims arriving at the same time, worst case scenario, paying the entire cost myself or going online and booking https://www.expressbourricot.com/ (you have to book online but you can do it at the last second if there are seats).
Unfortunately it is France and they changed my flight last second to a different city so I ended up in Bayonne much later, forced to stay the night there, woke very early to take a (very late) taxi and then a very late bus to Bordeaux in the AM still feeling quite panicked but in Bordeaux, I saw dozens of pilgrims waiting for the noon bus to SJPP. I immediately felt better and in the end, it was all totally fine. The lovely hostel owners in SJPP kept my reservation for me and didn't charge me for the night I didn't show (I emailed them as soon as I knew I wouldn't make it of course).

All this is to say - Hopefully you get there and see other people waiting for cabs and you can easily join one but have a couple of back up options at the ready. Also, an extra night in that part of France is kind of a gift.

If you do it the way you have stated you will loose a day --maybe that's ok. I booked the expressbourricot from the airport to SJPP. Four others who were on the same flight from Dublin had pre-booked too, so the cost was just 19€--great value. If you do it this way, my advice is to explore SJPP the next morning and then walk to Orrison. Do keep in mind that this is a tough introduction to the Camino so don't be overly ambitious on your first day. Orrision is lovely and the communal dinner is a great introduction to the Camino but you MUST book it. I didn't follow the stages as set out by Brierley and so avoided all the big towns and cities. From Orrision I then stoped at Espinal, Larrosoana and Cizur Menor. However, I have learned from my two Camino's just go with the flow. You will meet amazing people and you may decide to hook up with them for a few days (a Camino family). So don't over plan it -- it's the Camino, it always provides (and surprises) Hope this helps. Buen Camino.

I am arriving in Biarritz by air at 5:45 pm, May 2 and am trying to figure out if it is practical to travel to SJPP in the evening and start my Camino early the next morning or if it makes more sense to overnight in Biarritz/Bayonne and travel to SJPP first thing in the morning and start a little later. Any advice would be appreciated.

Me? I would be heading to SJPdP and have time to enjoy the evening, get rested after seeing the town, and be set to go the next morning.

The first option for travel to SJPdP starts before you board your flight to Biarritz.

Look for fellow pilgrims -- packs, shells, patches, anxious expressions :). Ask if anyone would like to share a taxi, or if anyone has space to share a ride. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few takers. After arriving in Biarritz, do the same as you walk through the terminal to the front entrance, and look around the front entrance as well.

Email or contact Express Bouricott to see if they are running shuttle vans at your arrival time. Again, the ride is shared so the total cost is pretty low per person.
https://www.expressbourricot.com/contact-and-booking/

On my first Camino from SJPdP in 2017 and again in 2018, I arrived from Paris to Biarritz at about the same time as your scheduled time, and took Express Bouricott both times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would reccomend that you plan on 2 nights in Saint Jean. It is an interesting town and if anything goes wrong in your getting there, the one day buffer may be nice to have.

Hi Mister H, while I see your point about two nights in SJPP I am not sure it is worth it. Yes if you are getting off a long haul flight and you need to catch up with sleep. But is you are staying in a albergue, sleep does not come easy. You may also be pumped up and excited so it is difficult to rest for a full day. My suggestion is to have one night and then take it easy on your first day. The walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles is tough and you are locked into the stages that Brierley sets out in his book. I followed a lot of YouTubers to see and listen to their experiences. On the basis of a view blogger I wanted to avoid Zubiri. Being off the page (Brierley's book that is) is great as you have less of a race for beds. So a tough 8k walk to Orrison is strenuous enough for most walkers.

I'd stay in Bayonne close to the train station. First train will get you there in time to walk to Roncesvalle.

My plans got screwed by a strike. I ended up taking the last train 1806. I got to SJPdP about 2030 after dark. I managed to find a restaurant and got to bed at 2300. I had spent several hours lounging around the Bayonne station; time that my jet lagged person could have benefitted from a bed.

The schedule is changed so most days the last train is 1830 but you won't make that with 1745 arrival at BIQ.

There is no point arriving in SJPdP feeling like you've been dragged backward through a hedge because you didn't look after yourself enroute. Your body will exact a cost.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back