• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to St Jean Monday 20 March by public transport

Time of past OR future Camino
30 March 2017
Hi everyone, sorry to ask on here but I’m really struggling to find an answer online.
I am due to land at 17.00 on Monday 20 March and hope to get a train/bus to StJPdP via Bayonne from Biarritz airport. However I’m struggling to find a non sponsored website that tells me this is ACTUALLY possible at that time in the late afternoon.
Can anyone help please? Basically the question is, can I get to St Jean from Biarritz on Monday via public transport or will I have to find accommodation until Tuesday in the Biarritz/Bayonne area?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would check Rome2Rio for alternatives...In the summer, the train left Bayonne and arrived in SJPP around 3:30pm (ish) and I believe that is the last one. I'm unsure of the bus schedules so you might look into a taxi if you really need to get there that day...otherwise, I met up with a friend that came in the next morning and we were fine hiking from SJPP to Roncevalles that day...I think we left around 9:15 and made it around 5:00 or so. (if that is your worry)

Good luck

I am due to land at 17.00 on Monday 20 March and hope to get a train/bus to StJPdP via Bayonne from Biarritz airport.

Hi @Martin Moorman and buen Camino! For public transport on Monday 20 March late afternoon:
Train 20 March.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Martin Moorman, you may also want to consider Express Bourricot. This is a “car pooling” business. Details here: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
They pick up passengers at Biarritz airport, about 30 minutes after their arrival. A full van (8 passengers) is competitive with public transport both as to price in € and ecological price. Bon voyage!

Hi @Kathar1na, Thanks very much for your reply. I had looked at that timetable before. The only prioblem is that it gives no timings! So I'm not sure if I can travel that late in the afternoon by bus to Bayonne. I know there is an 18.36 train from Bayonne to SJPP; obviously I've got to get to Bayonne first, with a 17.00 flight, baggage collection and security to negotiate. It might be quite tight!

@Martin Moorman and buen Camino! For public transport on Monday 20 March late afternoon:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the connections, but why not consider staying in Bayonne to a night? It is lovely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would check Rome2Rio for alternatives...In the summer, the train left Bayonne and arrived in SJPP around 3:30pm (ish) and I believe that is the last one. I'm unsure of the bus schedules so you might look into a taxi if you really need to get there that day...otherwise, I met up with a friend that came in the next morning and we were fine hiking from SJPP to Roncevalles that day...I think we left around 9:15 and made it around 5:00 or so. (if that is your worry)

Good luck
Thank you very much

Hi @Kathar1na, Thanks very much for your reply. I had looked at that timetable before. The only prioblem is that it gives no timings! So I'm not sure if I can travel that late in the afternoon by bus to Bayonne. I know there is an 18.36 train from Bayonne to SJPP; obviously I've got to get to Bayonne first, with a 17.00 flight, baggage collection and security to negotiate. It might be quite tight!
I don't have a bus schedule for you, but I do have some hopeful words. I flew through Biarritz airport last spring, and waited for a bus to San Sebastion at the airport. The airport is tiny, serving just a few flights an hour. There is no security when you land (Flying in from EU?), and the baggage was quick. While I was waiting for my bus, I directed several pilgrims who were trying to get to Bayonne which bus bay to wait by (the first one). The bus bays are right outside the terminal, and easy to find. There were several busses to Bayonne over the 90 minutes I waited. If you're worried, take a taxi to the train station in Bayonne, its really not very far at all. Remember that to catch a train, you just need to get to the train station five minutes before departure, not an hour like an airplane. That train station is tiny too, and finding your train platform will be obvious. I'm betting you make it.......if your flight is on time.

Hi
you should definitely try :

They are really great and will try their uttermost to help you to get SJPP for a reasonable price. Let me know how it goes.
JP

I had looked at that timetable before. The only prioblem is that it gives no timings! So I'm not sure if I can travel that late in the afternoon by bus to Bayonne. I know there is an 18.36 train from Bayonne to SJPP; obviously I've got to get to Bayonne first, with a 17.00 flight, baggage collection and security to negotiate. It might be quite tight!
Yep, it may be a bit tight. I agree with what @Rick M wrote. The airport is small, there is not much air traffic but as you are coming from the UK, many passengers on your flight will need to have their passports stamped. Busses come frequently but if I read the timetables correctly the bus takes about 33 minutes from airport to the bus stop closest to Bayonne train station and then it is a 2 minutes walk. Perhaps someone can confirm that it takes that long? Also, you will perhaps need to add a few minutes for orientation because you are not in familiar surroundings.

I went twice from Biarritz airport to SJPP and each time I went with Express Bourricot who pick you up at the airport. Our van was full both times and in this case the price is around €20.

How is your French? I can post the links to the bus network map and to the interactive bus schedules. This is what I got for 20 March from 5 pm onwards for airport to station (click to enlarge):
Bus Biarritz 20 March.jpg

Last edited:
@Martin Moorman, another thing to bear in mind for this coming Monday is possible industrial action. The French railways announce around 5 pm which trains will be cancelled and which trains will be running the following day. Check the SNCF websites on Sunday evening to get a fairly good idea of what might await you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Martin Moorman, another thing to bear in mind for this coming Monday is possible industrial action. The French railways announce around 5 pm which trains will be cancelled and which trains will be running the following day. Check the SNCF websites on Sunday evening to get a fairly good idea of what might await you.
Thank you.
I'm hoping there will be no strikes obviously!

Hi Martin,

Biarritz is a small airport.
Baggage collection (and security check … is there any upon arrival?) is done within 10-15 minutes.
Busses from Biarritz airport to Bayonne railway station (SNCF) are running frequently.

After your arrival at 17:00 there are bus departures (Line no.4) at 17:17, 17:32, 17:43, 17:52 etc.
The ride takes about 33-35 minutes.

Just in case you won’t manage to catch the last train/bus to SJPdP …
there‘s a pilgrim’s hostel in Bayonne or several hotels around.
Right opposite the railway station is a nice hotel “Hotel Côtes Basques“ at reasonable tariffs.
Take the early morning train to SJPdP and you‘ll almost have no delay.

My experience from previous pilgrimages … there’s always a solution.

Don‘t worry … be happy 😊

Ultreya

Last edited:
@Martin Moorman, you may also want to consider Express Bourricot. This is a “car pooling” business. Details here: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
They pick up passengers at Biarritz airport, about 30 minutes after their arrival. A full van (8 passengers) is competitive with public transport both as to price in € and ecological price. Bon voyage!
I used this service and it worked well. I also met my first walking buddy that I am still friends with 5 years later!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Martin,
Looks like there is a train from Biarritz to SJPdP at 19.19, arriving in SJPdP at 19.43 and changing trains in Bayonne. That should do if you are on time at the airport which is very close to the train station, maybe 15-20 minutes with taxi. Check the French train SNCF site. You can buy your train ticket on line.
You can also try the BlaBlaCar. It's an inexpensive way of travelling together, but you have to register on their web site.
Hope you'll make it, and Bon Camino!

Hi everyone, sorry to ask on here but I’m really struggling to find an answer online.
I am due to land at 17.00 on Monday 20 March and hope to get a train/bus to StJPdP via Bayonne from Biarritz airport. However I’m struggling to find a non sponsored website that tells me this is ACTUALLY possible at that time in the late afternoon.
Can anyone help please? Basically the question is, can I get to St Jean from Biarritz on Monday via public transport or will I have to find accommodation until Tuesday in the Biarritz/Bayonne are

Last edited:
Can anyone help please? Basically the question is, can I get to St Jean from Biarritz on Monday via public transport or will I have to find accommodation until Tuesday in the Biarritz/Bayonne area?

Looks like there is a train from Biarritz to SJPdP at 19.19, arriving in SJPdP at 19.43 and changing trains in Bayonne
That must be a typo, I suppose that you meant the train leaving Biarritz train station for Bayonne train station at 18:19 (not 19:19). It’s a possibility but when time is of the essence, I usually prefer to minimise the number of different means of transport because it relies on the fact that every one of them is on time. Plus you need a bit of additional time to find where they start and stop in an environment that is totally unfamiliar to you.

When I used the metro in Paris for the first time to go to Paris Montparnasse train station it took me much longer than the second and subsequent times because by then I knew what signs to look for for orientation, how and where to get tickets and so on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the summer, the train left Bayonne and arrived in SJPP around 3:30pm (ish) and I believe that is the last one.
Just for info and for March 2023:

Last train leaving Bayonne train station for SJPP:
  • Monday to Thursday and Saturday at 18:36.
  • Friday at 20:13.
  • Sunday at 19:29.
This appears to be also the schedule for May 2023. Might be useful to know for those who are planning their day of arrival …

Check your dates on https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en/. This site also provides you with bus options to SJPP (these are NOT replacement buses for the train when there are technical problems for the train - replacement buses follow the same schedule as the train they replace).

Last edited:
https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en/. This site also provides you with bus options to SJPP
See example for today which is still a day affected by industrial action. Note that www.sncf.com and www.sncf-connect.com are both websites of French railways SNCF but with slightly different web design. Scnf-connect is the newer one and I find it more user-friendly. Note that when you click on the last option (18:40) you will see that it is in fact a bus but it is operated by French Railways and serves the same stops as the (usual) train - it just takes half an hour longer. It really pays to stay informed and as up to date as possible. Just common sense. The internet is a fantastic tool and it may even feel like magic. :cool:

Bus to SJPP.jpg

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, have you tried Rome2Rio.com? I assume you may have got the 1836 to SJPDP if you managed to find times elsewhere? Sncf-connect.com is the train company website for future reference. Whether you’ve made it to SJPDP or are spending the night in Bayonne, Buen Camino! Your adventure has begun:)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back