• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycle gear question

Time of past OR future Camino
Two related questions...Can I get by on two panniers for my bike? I have a chance to buy front and back Ortlieb panniers pretty inexpensively, but I'm thinking that two is enough. I understand I would be washing clothes a lot with just two. Also, what do you do with your stuff at night? Just take the panniers when you're walking around town? Sleep with them? Are there places that will lock your stuff up? I'm hoping to spend a lot of time walking around the towns along the way and can't see myself toting two, much less four, panniers around with me. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two related questions...Can I get by on two panniers for my bike? I have a chance to buy front and back Ortlieb panniers pretty inexpensively, but I'm thinking that two is enough. I understand I would be washing clothes a lot with just two. Also, what do you do with your stuff at night? Just take the panniers when you're walking around town? Sleep with them? Are there places that will lock your stuff up? I'm hoping to spend a lot of time walking around the towns along the way and can't see myself toting two, much less four, panniers around with me. Thanks!
I have cycled all over Europe for 23 years for up to 9 weeks at a time. I carry a tent & sleeping bag but no cooking stuff in the same 2 Altura rear panniers made of material with waterproof covers. Totally waterproof sweats in hot weather. My routine is erect tent ,wash self wash dirty clothes and hang on line to dry. Even in hostels the panniers are left neatly by my bed.I wear sandals so no socks to wash. I have a small handlebar bag add a strap for my shoulder and always carry that wherever I go. It has money and passport camera and cards.I do have it in my bed at night as to loose these things would be a nightmare. I reckon on one lot of clothes on, a second lot for tomorrow and a spare lot incase bad weather makes drying a problem.The heaviest items are wash-gear and I decant into small bottles. I am female and do top up any space withextra clothes carefully. 2 years ago aged 70 my last trip. Ha! I gave away my sleeping bag and had to buy a new one last year

Can I get by on two panniers for my bike?
Not only can you, but you should. I have always carried a pair of Ortlieb city rollers, and like Janet I have a handlebar bag with all the valuables, (except passport and cards which I always carry in a fabric neck-wallet inside my shirt. Four panniers is total overkill. You can get an amazing amount of stuff in the Ortliebs.
Incidentally, I like to put my panniers on a front rack. I tend to ride with a more sit-up posture, so it evens out the load nicely.
I've always had the attitude that if anybody wants to steal my panniers, they must be short of T shirts, toothpaste and underwear.
Whenever I stop at a cafe or bar, the handlebar bag stays with me.
Oh, and I've never had problem with the "sweating" in the heat that Janet mentions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The walkers are making do with 7-8 kg on their backpacks excluding water. 2 panniers even with the essential bike tools is more than enough. With a detachable handlebar bag keeping your important stuff, you can detach it and bring it into the restaurant or bar for safety. A lock if your bike has to stay outside the albergue. Panniers inside of course.

Once I even met an extreme Spanish minimalist cyclist with no panniers. Just a sleeping bag in the rear rack, a small 10 liter backpack and a handlebar bag. Later talking with him I discover he wash his cycling outfit every day (only one pair), his 10 liter backpack contain his evening wear and slip on shoe (also one pair) and his handlebar bag contain his bike tools, toilettries, documents and phone/charger.

Not saying you should do that but being light the bike goes a long way with ease without too much weighing it down.

Yes two should be enough; essential to have a bar bag or small day-pack to keep passport/money/cards/phone etc with you. As for locking the bike - I locked mine regardless of where it was - outside a cafe/bar or in the albergue. BTW most of the private albergues (and some others) will provide off-street/undercover parking. Buen Camino:)

two panniers was enough for us. We kept it to 8 kg (excluding water and snacks) and I highly agree with the handlebar bag with phone wallet passports. I did not have the sweating problem of waterproof panniers but we did the CF from April 10 to May 9 so it wasn't that hot on the meseta. I like waterproof because we prefer the spring to do the CF and rain was pretty often in 2018 and it seems like a big hassle to have to cover your panniers every time you think it might rain, and then you have to remove the covers anytime you want to get something and when you arrive. We wanted the spring because of less crowds, easier accomodations, no blistering heat on the meseta and no bedbugs. It is pretty sweaty and stinky in the albergues, I can only imagine how much worse it would be in the summer. stinko.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The answer depends on how much weight you are going to carry. And add during your ride, (water and food). A lot of weight in the back, especially if it also piles high, makes the bike unstable. It is better then to divide between front and rear. Not all front forks are designed to attach panniers. Is yours? You don't want to ride a bike where your front wheel lifts off the ground too easily. I personally find a division between front and rear the most comfortable.

For my personal items and the more expensive items like a camera, shoe an iPad I us a ortlieb backpack, fixed with straps on the carrier. The backpack keeps your hands fee during a walk and can accommodate some food and drinks whilst visiting a town.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back