• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycling from Leon to Santiago

rotsen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino from Leon to Santiago
I was ready to do the walk in June but i hurt my foot and can not walk but i can ride. Can I rent a bicycle ( foldable/plegable) in León? My tour will allow transportation of foldable/plegable bicycles only

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did. They do not support bicycles but are willing to support a foldable bicycle. But i need to get that on my own

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are renting bikes in September in Burgos. We are using Cycling-Rentals. Although I don’t see foldable bikes on their list, they might be able to assist you with at least some ideas. Friends of mine cycled the CP a few years ago on foldable bikes that they brought to Portugal with them from the States. Is bringing your own bike an option if you can’t find a foldable bike in Leon? Good luck.

I will flying first to Dublin for 10 days and i do not want to carry my bicycle with me and after i will be another 30 days in europe. Maybe i can ordered a cheap one in Amazon.es and deliver to my hotel in León.

Thanks - any other ideas? please

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was ready to do the walk in June but i hurt my foot and can not walk but i can ride. Can I rent a bicycle ( foldable/plegable) in León? My tour will allow transportation of foldable/plegable bicycles only
There's not a lot of time and not a lot of information.

Is this a group tour? Will you be travelling with a group? Do you already know each other?

I'd like to point out that cycling a Camino is a different experience to walking it.

At a basic level you have to decide if you will stay on the road or mix it on the path. Bear in mind, only a specially setup folding bike will handle some of the stuff the path throws at you.

It's also not particularly easy and we have no idea of your cycling experience. Having said that, I presume you'll be doing a walking distance each day so that should be manageable. There is always the risk when the road or surface is to steep for you to ride and you need to push. How will your injury cope?

How do you see each day unfolding?
Are you planning on keeping pace with the group and cycling with them as they walk?
Are you happy to make your own way, under your own steam and meet at the end of the day?
If taking the roads are you comfortable navigating?

Having done a bit of travelling by bike I am a huge fan and advocate of bike travel. However, I raise flags when someone suggests using a bike as a Plan B or to compensate for some other issue (such as making up time). It is rarely as straightforward as people first think, especially anyone without a modicum of experience of travelling from place to place.

You could use https://cycle.travel/map put in Léon and Santiago de Compestela as start and end points and using the streetview option have a good look at what is ahead of you.

As for a bike, I'd imagine folders will be difficult enough to hire. You could try Decathlon to buy one - they will have a good selection but pay attention to the gearing since most folders are designed for city use. With a folding bike there's no reason you can't bring it home with you and sell it your leisure, or even keep it! Decathlon have the advantage of many stores where you can get assistance, if necessary.

Check Decathlon for folding bikes and have it delivered to your room. There's no way you'll be riding that on the actual path though, the 16" or 20" wheels won't take it. I brought my Surly Disc Trucker with 26x2" tires and still ended up on the road.

Get a proper bicycle and do it as a bike tour or wait and do it as a walking trip. A folding bike on the rocky path is a recipe for misery.

I am used to long hikes and bike rides. I am planning to stay with my group. The tour is paid and can not back down. Decathlon does not rent bicycles as per their replay. The reason why I would rent a bicycle is because i injury my right ankle 2 weeks ago and i can not walk long distances and it will not heel in the next 3 weeks. The tour i am with, will let me walk a little and then take me to the next place but i want to do the path partially walking and bicycling. They will allow me to bring a foldable bicycle.

I appreciate all your of the comments.

Do they have a site in Spain where the can buy a use bicycle like craigslist.org?

Thanks!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Forgive me if I seem blunt and direct

I am used to long hikes
Not really relevant if you currently cannot walk
and bike rides
Most people are used to bike rides.
There can be a significant difference between going for a bike ride and doing what you are thinking about.
Are you comfortable fixing punctures, adjusting brakes and anything else that you may need to do along the way? Ordinarily, I wouldn't be too worried about an unladen folding bike - simply call a taxi, but you may need to walk.
I am planning to stay with my group
Can you clarify: Do you plan to cycle beside them as they walk?
If so, that is a fools errand. It will be incredibly difficult, tiring and stressful to do that, will probably cause friction with the group and most likely other walkers.
It will not be possible to go with the walkers all the time, unless they are willing to take to the road. Even then, a slow moving bike is difficult to control and there is traffic to consider.
Decathlon does not rent bicycles
No. They sell bicycles and have a good range of folding bicycles that seem to be good value. They also have mechanics and other equipment that could set the bike up for you. As I mentioned earlier, gearing will be a critical factor, especially if you cannot walk.

In your circumstances I think I would be looking to my travel insurance curtailance and cancellation clauses rather than bike hire. Folding bikes are designed for commuting not pilgrimage trails.
I wish you good luck and good fortune but I think you are clutching for a straw bike

Hi Flander,
Yes, i can fix flats and most of my rides are 20+ miles every other day since i retired 5 years ago. Since i can not walk I have been doing 10 miles with a friend, he walks and i bicycle (4mph) and no problem with traffic or slowness. I have found bicycle for rents about 340 euros but they are not foldables. I might just bring my foldable, pay shipping and after just leave it in Spain but i am hoping for a different solution.
Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tincatinker
Maybe, i can rent an MTB and at the tour start point and end point i will call a taxi/Uber to take me to the hotel if my tour company will not handle the bicycle. This is a trip i planned with in-laws and wife.
Thanks 🤗

It's very frustrating with the dribs and drabs of information you are supplying.

What service exactly is the tour company supplying? If it is baggage transport and hotel reservations then a normal bike will surely suffice? You just ride from hotel to hotel?
If they will be transporting your group distances that you will not be able to ride, then you will need a folder.

Cycle Travel tells me that it's 327km from Léon to Santiago with 5200m of climbing. They are the kind of numbers that make me think twice and I have some experience. Also, two of the highest climbs of the entire route are between you and Santiago. On either one you will be separated from the walkers on either the ascent, the descent or both.

I did both in the one day, back before I knew about route planners and the like. The second climb nearly finished me and I had been on the road for weeks at that stage, having covered over 3000km.
This is not the road for someone with a foot injury.

I don't think you are taking into account the final 100 km stretch where it is incredibly busy. I could not imagine trying to negotiate it on a bike at a walking pace amongst all the walkers.
Paths are often narrow, of varying different surfaces, uneven, sloped and have a lot of people with large backpacks and wild sticks walking along, often in groups.
I took to hiding out in the daytime after Sarria and riding later in the day when the walkers were mainly finished for the day.

I hate to be negative but there is nothing I sense from your posts that suggests that this will be anything but stressful for all involved and possibly a lot of other people that you encounter along the way.

I will stress it again. If your notion is to ride beside your family, keeping pace with them for the day, then I think you are in for a world of trouble, pain and stress.
At the very least do some preparation and research so that you can ride ahead and meet them at various stops for coffee or lunch and know when it makes sense to be on the road and away from the path.

here's no way you'll be riding that on the actual path though, the 16" or 20" wheels won't take it.
with respect....

One of the most dangerous roads in the world, on a brompton, with a trailer!

The OP has many challenges, but on a well set up folding bike it is entirely possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's very frustrating with the dribs and drabs of information you are supplying.

What service exactly is the tour company supplying? If it is baggage transport and hotel reservations then a normal bike will surely suffice? You just ride from hotel to hotel?
If they will be transporting your group distances that you will not be able to ride, then you will need a folder.

Cycle Travel tells me that it's 327km from Léon to Santiago with 5200m of climbing. They are the kind of numbers that make me think twice and I have some experience. Also, two of the highest climbs of the entire route are between you and Santiago. On either one you will be separated from the walkers on either the ascent, the descent or both.

I did both in the one day, back before I knew about route planners and the like. The second climb nearly finished me and I had been on the road for weeks at that stage, having covered over 3000km.

I don't think you are taking into account the final 100 km stretch where it is incredibly busy. I could not imagine trying to negotiate it on a bike at a walking pace amongst all the walkers.
Paths are often narrow, of varying different surfaces, uneven, sloped and have a lot of people with large backpacks and wild sticks walking along, often in groups.
I took to hiding out in the daytime after Sarria and riding later in the day when the walkers were mainly finished for the day.

I hate to be negative but there is nothing I sense from your posts that suggests that this will be anything but stressful for all involved and possibly a lot of other people that you encounter along the way.

I will stress it again. If your notion is to ride beside your family, keeping pace with them for the day, then I think you are in for a world of trouble, pain and stress.
At the very least do some preparation and research so that you can ride ahead and meet them at various stops for coffee or lunch and know when it makes sense to be on the road and away from the path.
Flatlander,

Thanks for your input and advise 🙂

Do they have a site in Spain where the can buy a use bicycle like craigslist.org?
Try Wallapop, there are some bicis plegables available in the León area. Your glass is half full, go for it. Richard

Your glass is half full, go for it.
It goes against every fibre of my being to discourage someone from going on a bike adventure but I think it is worth remembering the specific situation of the OP;
The bike is not from desire but to compensate for something else
The OP is carrying an injury, an ankle injury, I believe
The OP appears to be planning to cycle alongside their walking companions.

Each of those present their own challenges and individually can be overcome. Cumulatively, they present more challenges that I am sure can be dealt with, with appropriate forethought and a lot of communication.

It's also worth remembering that the CF is a shared route and that this year appears to be an exceptionally busy year.

It's not at all clear if the plan is to daily walk/bike an average "Camino day" say 20-25kms or alternatively perhaps 5kms and be bussed to a destination. The former is physically far easier than the latter, but perhaps not for logistics.

I will flying first to Dublin for 10 days and i do not want to carry my bicycle with me and after i will be another 30 days in europe. Maybe i can ordered a cheap one in Amazon.es and deliver to my hotel in León.

Thanks - any other ideas? please
Decathlon has a folding bike for around $300-400.

My suggestion: go to Decathlon, buy a cheap bike (eg Rockrider ST 100), and Decathlon's bike bag (50 euro). Then you can take the bike apart, put it in the bag and take it on the coach no bother. At the other end, assemble bike and ride the trail with your friends. The ST 100 can easily handle 95% of the CF trails. You'll have a great time ... When you get to Santiago, sell it. Buen Camino 🚴

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It goes against every fibre of my being to discourage someone from going on a bike adventure but I think it is worth remembering the specific situation of the OP;
The bike is not from desire but to compensate for something else
The OP is carrying an injury, an ankle injury, I believe
The OP appears to be planning to cycle alongside their walking companions.

Each of those present their own challenges and individually can be overcome. Cumulatively, they present more challenges that I am sure can be dealt with, with appropriate forethought and a lot of communication.

It's also worth remembering that the CF is a shared route and that this year appears to be an exceptionally busy year.

It's not at all clear if the plan is to daily walk/bike an average "Camino day" say 20-25kms or alternatively perhaps 5kms and be bussed to a destination. The former is physically far easier than the latter, but perhaps not for logistics.
So it appears the OP is on a tour and may / will have to put his bike on a bus occasionally / daily hence the folding bike. If all other logistics are taken care of and no baggage to carry then riding a folding bike 350km over 10 days is pretty trivial, to me at least.

Folding bikes go on tour (plenty on CGOAB) and if the bike is not loaded can at least go on gravel trails and could easily be carried up any steep / rocky sections. Options are;
Decathlon: good for a lot of stuff but not bikes IMO.
Second-hand: a good used bike off Wallapop or Milanuncios as long as you know what to look for.
Local Bike Shop: plenty of bike shops in Leon, visited CBF last year for some satisfactory service, contact them.
Rental: folding bike may be tricky to obtain but ping the rental companies an email, someone will know of a folder somewhere.

Rotsen, hope you get to ride your camino. Richard

Thank you!!!

So it appears the OP is on a tour and may / will have to put his bike on a bus occasionally / daily hence the folding bike. If all other logistics are taken care of and no baggage to carry then riding a folding bike 350km over 10 days is pretty trivial, to me at least.

Folding bikes go on tour (plenty on CGOAB) and if the bike is not loaded can at least go on gravel trails and could easily be carried up any steep / rocky sections. Options are;
Decathlon: good for a lot of stuff but not bikes IMO.
Second-hand: a good used bike off Wallapop or Milanuncios as long as you know what to look for.
Local Bike Shop: plenty of bike shops in Leon, visited CBF last year for some satisfactory service, contact them.
Rental: folding bike may be tricky to obtain but ping the rental companies an email, someone will know of a folder somewhere.

Rotsen, hope you get to ride your camino. Richard

My suggestion: go to Decathlon, buy a cheap bike (eg Rockrider ST 100), and Decathlon's bike bag (50 euro). Then you can take the bike apart, put it in the bag and take it on the coach no bother. At the other end, assemble bike and ride the trail with your friends. The ST 100 can easily handle 95% of the CF trails. You'll have a great time ... When you get to Santiago, sell it. Buen Camino 🚴
Thanks Gerard!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My only advice isn’t about doing or not doing but consider your situation should you not be able to complete and your insurance. Health is far cheaper and can be covered on a credit card for small things generally in comparison to US, but you’ll find that if you travel with a pre existing injury invalidates your insurance. Insurance companies will find a way of not covering if they know you’ve travelled with an injury. Just be aware.

My only advice isn’t about doing or not doing but consider your situation should you not be able to complete and your insurance. Health is far cheaper and can be covered on a credit card for small things generally in comparison to US, but you’ll find that if you travel with a pre existing injury invalidates your insurance. Insurance companies will find a way of not covering if they know you’ve travelled with an injury. Just be aware.
Thanks for the heads up 🙂

Thanks Richard!
It would be interesting and informative to let us all know how your camino pans out; did you find a bike, where, how, what type and of course were you successful riding the Camino? Buen camino, Richard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are renting bikes in September in Burgos. We are using Cycling-Rentals. Although I don’t see foldable bikes on their list, they might be able to assist you with at least some ideas. Friends of mine cycled the CP a few years ago on foldable bikes that they brought to Portugal with them from the States. Is bringing your own bike an option if you can’t find a foldable bike in Leon? Good luck.
Thanks

In your circumstances I think I would be looking to my travel insurance curtailance and cancellation clauses rather than bike hire. Folding bikes are designed for commuting not pilgrimage trails.
I wish you good luck and good fortune but I think you are clutching for a straw bike
Having ridden a bike (from Pamplona to Santiago) in 2015 I am in total agreement about getting a medical certificate and then claiming on travel insurance to " curtail" this adventure and come back when the ankle is again suitable for walking to 15/20-/25/30 km each day. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola @rotsen. I do feel for you and your situation. But I have say that any attempt to " cycle beside your walking pilgrims" will not be successful, especially on the section between Rabanal and Molinseca. This section starts at around 1500 metres (4500 ft) and finishes at 600 metres (1900/2000 ft) - approx. I have walked and cycled this section and the walking camino from Cruz de Ferro to Acebo is demanding even for very experience off track cyclist. The road is also demand, have a look at the map in your guide book. I came down on a Sunday morning and still had to contend with cars and trucks crossing onto my side of the road. I was most concerned for my safety many times. Things do not get better as you go west. From Herrerias to O'Cebreiro is another 600metre (2000 ft) climb - and in places this road is extra steep. Even after 500 km of riding (thus very road fit) there were times when I had to get off and walk.
Like an earlier reply I would not like to deny you your Camino experience, but if you have an injured ankle I strongly advise you to seek medical advice and act on that advice and if that is to abandon your camino then so be it. Sincere best wishes for a full recovery.

@rotsen
Here's a link to a folding bike at for 450 Euros at a decathlon in Spain. If you're going to buy one from Decathlon, you should try to order in advance. They may or may not have them in stock. They may have others so poke around at their website. I think Chrome or Safari gives you the option to translate to Spanish.

You could probably do it on a small folding bike if you are a strong bicyclist. But parts of the trail are difficult even with a full-size bike.

I ended up bicycling the Camino because of a foot injury also. From Pamplona. I was on my own though, so I just bought a used mountain bike. There is a lot of uphill pushing involved, that's for sure.

It's more work than people think to bicycle. So don't expect holiday cycling. As @Saint Mike II mentioned, there are a couple of spots where you absolutely cannot bicycle. You have to go on the road. The hill up to Ocebreiro and the descent into Molinaseca, which is about 15 or 20 km down a two-lane highway, very fast. You might feel you have to take a cab or bus at these spots.

And as @Flatlander said, on that last hundred kilometers after Saria, the trails are quite crowded. But if you're not in a rush, you can dismount and walk around. There are also alternative roads you can take if you get sick of it. Have a Camino app like Wise Pilgrim, which will show you your GPS position in relation to the Camino walking trail.

And some people will tell you you can sell your bike in Santiago. This is unlikely. Lots of bicycling pilgrims try to do this, so there's a surplus of bikes there.

From someone whose Camino was almost ruined by a foot injury, I'm rooting for you. I still had a great time.

Last edited:
@rotsen
Here's a link to a folding bike at for 450 Euros at a decathlon in Spain. If you're going to buy one from Decathlon, you should try to order in advance. They may or may not have them in stock. They may have others so poke around at their website. I think Chrome or Safari gives you the option to translate to Spanish.

You could probably do it on a small folding bike if you are a strong bicycle list. But parts of the trail are difficult even with a full-size bike.

I ended up bicycling the Camino because of a foot injury also. From Pamplona. I was on my own though, so I just bought a used mountain bike. There is a lot of uphill pushing involved, that's for sure.

It's more work than people think to bicycle. So don't expect holiday cycling. As @Saint Mike II mentioned, there are a couple of spots where you absolutely cannot bicycle. You have to go on the road. The hill up to Ocebreiro and the descent into Molinaseca, which is about 15 or 20 km down a two-lane highway, very fast. You might feel you have to take a cab or bus at these spots.

And as @Flatlander said, on that last hundred kilometers after Saria, the trails are quite crowded. But if you're not in a rush, you can dismount and walk around. There are also alternative roads you can take if you get sick of it. Have a Camino app like Wise Pilgrim, which will show you your GPS position in relation to the Camino walking trail.

And some people will tell you you can sell your bike in Santiago. This is unlikely. Lots of bicycling pilgrims try to do this, so there's a surplus of bikes there.

From someone whose Camino was almost ruined by a foot injury, I'm rooting for you. I still had a great time.
Stephan et all
My foot is doing really good compare to 2 weeks ago. I have an MRI coming next week and then a month before the walk. I am prepared in case i need a bicycle thanks to the info provided in this site. I also got a couple ankle braces. The way my foot feels now it gives me great hope.
Thanks for all your input!!!!

€60,-
with respect....

One of the most dangerous roads in the world, on a brompton, with a trailer!

The OP has many challenges, but on a well set up folding bike it is entirely possible.
For what it's worth, I climbed Alto del Perdón with a Brompton and a 37-kilo trailer. Also a 14% grade (paved) in Bilbao to get from the airport to the bus station, and the extremely rough paths from Santiago to Fisterra. But I can't say those portions were fun!

I bought the Brompton because of their claim that it fits in an airline overhead bin. The claim is technically true, but every airline I tried insisted it has to be in a bag or case—which made it too big for carry-on! That's why I bought the trailer. At the airport, I take my carry-on out of the trailer, put the Brompton into it, and check that.

@rotsen

You could probably do it on a small folding bike if you are a strong bicyclist. But parts of the trail are difficult even with a full-size bike.

Will test my foot this week for quarter of a mile.
If it gets to rough i can always take the tour van but i will try to participate as much as possible in the walk.

Thanks!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back