• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bien Autopista (mucho pavimento)

Which Camino has the least pavement or highways to walk

• Northern Camino

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Camino Frances

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

RossEast

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés
I've been looking at KMZ files in Google Earth of the Northern Camino and there is a lot of pavement. I'm thinking I want to go on the Northern Camino, but don't see the point of walking along a highway choking on exhaust fumes. I'm flying out Monday!

Is my impression correct for this camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a lot of asphalt on the Norte, and unless you know when it is coming up and what the alternatives are you will end up being on busy roads in sections. If you don't want to do that, and you think the Frances is too busy, you could mix and match caminos, walk the San Salvador to Oviedo and then walk the Primitivo, if you wanted you could extend it by walking the Camino de Madrid before those two and it connects up with them.

Buen Camino

I have just returned from the Norte. I had read that there was much hard surface walking, but sort of dismissed it as general pilgrim whingeing. This was my fourth Camino, including the Portuguese which is also described as having a lot of road walking. But you should believe what you read. I was really shocked at the amount of hard surface walking on the Norte, it felt like way, way more than any of my other caminos. And there was also less walking alongside the coast than I was niaively expecting. All this misconception was because I don't really study guide books, rather take it as it comes.

If I had bothered to properly research and know in advance the above information would it have changed my mind about walking el Norte? Not one bit.

A Camino is what it is, and we pilgrims just take it as it comes (with the option of bussing ahead every now and then - not an option that I take).

There aren't so many stretches on busy highways, more on quiet country roads with little traffic, and through the cities that you will pass. Be sure to have really good cushioning in your footwear.

When you do hit the beaches and the cliff tops it will make up for all those hours of plodding on asphalt.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog - I posted every day live from the Camino and mention what the walking surfaces have been like...https://magwood.me/el-norte-ingles/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It gets a bit better in the later stages. This is the Camino I believed that a local SIM card with data is most effective. I use it a lot to discover beach area so I can safely detour slightly to them and back on the.Camino again. Have discovered many beaches that are essentially empty with people. My own private beach...

I have only walked the first week of the Norte (from Irún to Bilbao) but found it had WAY less pavement than the first days out of Porto along the Central Portuguese Camiño. There were next to no busy roads and the pavement sections were IMHO short. I can definately recommend that section. I walk in running shoes which of course helps.

I have just returned from the Norte. I had read that there was much hard surface walking, but sort of dismissed it as general pilgrim whingeing. This was my fourth Camino, including the Portuguese which is also described as having a lot of road walking. But you should believe what you read. I was really shocked at the amount of hard surface walking on the Norte, it felt like way, way more than any of my other caminos. And there was also less walking alongside the coast than I was niaively expecting. All this misconception was because I don't really study guide books, rather take it as it comes.

If I had bothered to properly research and know in advance the above information would it have changed my mind about walking el Norte? Not one bit.

A Camino is what it is, and we pilgrims just take it as it comes (with the option of bussing ahead every now and then - not an option that I take).

There aren't so many stretches on busy highways, more on quiet country roads with little traffic, and through the cities that you will pass. Be sure to have really good cushioning in your footwear.

When you do hit the beaches and the cliff tops it will make up for all those hours of plodding on asphalt.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog - I posted every day live from the Camino and mention what the walking surfaces have been like...https://magwood.me/el-norte-ingles/
THANK you for your response. I'm enjoying your blog.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back