• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Big changes coming next year

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
The great novelty of the Ways of Santiago for this year 2018 is that it will no longer be necessary to make long lines to get the precious Compostela, not even to be physically in Santiago.

An official website on the Internet, endorsed by the relevant authorities with the approval of the official, secular and religious bodies of the City of the Apostle and the Autonomous Government, will sell the credentials, personalized, on the Internet, starting next Easter. in a web page that will be presented soon in Santiago once the festivity of Kings has passed. This will put an end to bureaucratic procedures and long waits,...

http://www.12minutos.com/5a44c00f7d...n-el-camino-novedad-xacobea-para-el-2018.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So some people who never walked may get a compostela and those who have walked may not (because it will just be a computer printout.) I'm not upset with either of these but we are not going to get any useful statistics out of this process.

[Edit: So it seems like I am a Holy Innocent. I thought I'd never be either again.]

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a compensatory move, the Xunta announced today that all pilgrims walking from Sarria to Santiago will be required to be accompanied by donkeys. This new regulation is purportedly the fruit of lobbying by the Galician Donkey Stablers Association. This will be a real boost to the nascent donkey-rental businesses in the region.
#HolyInnocents . (Keep 'em coming, people!)

Of the site 12minutos.com:

About the site

This is an entertainment site, the news is created by users. These are humorous, fantasy, fictional news that should not be taken seriously or serve as a source of information.

In a compensatory move, the Xunta announced today that all pilgrims walking from Sarria to Santiago will be required to be accompanied by donkeys. This new regulation is purportedly the fruit of lobbying by the Galician Donkey Stablers Association. This will be a real boost to the nascent donkey-rental businesses in the region.

Hey there, hi there, to there. I already have the requisite: elephant, giraffe, moose, and red socks for my next camino. Now, I need a donkey as well. SMH.:mad:

I guess a few got caught :eek:

even after I gave a small hint :rolleyes:

just check how the post was tagged

:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey there, hi there, to there. I already have the requisite: elephant, giraffe, moose, and red socks for my next camino. Now, I need a donkey as well. SMH.:mad:
I was just thinking of the "Not a Serious Thread" (with elephants, giraffes and all)! This one is actually very similar, but unfortunately I can be quite gullible. I read this new thread and although it sounded incredulous, I had to read a couple of the posts to figure out it was bogus.:confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, wait now. What if the Compostela went Digital????? Book into a hotel at the end of your travels, hand them the Credenciel and ask to have it processed. They scan the Credenciel, which is AI verified, stamp by stamp in about 3 millionths of a second and once verification is complete, they print out a Compostela with a colour laser printer. You pick it up at the end of your stay.

WAIT!!! This is easy. There is an existing system for cars right here where I live. It is installed along the entries / exits to Highway 407. You can carry a transponder that immediately identifies you, personally, or, as you pass through a "GATE," where it takes a picture of you, entering and leaving each village / town / city, automatically, eliminating the need for a Credenciel. Two Euro saved....YESSSSS!!!

Then, when you get to Santiago, the final gate....flashing lights, confetti and fireworks to congratulate your vistory. What a great way to finish off????:cool::p

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was just thinking of the "Not a Serious Thread" (with elephants, giraffes and all)! This one is actually very similar, but unfortunately I can be quite gullible. I read this new thread and although it sounded incredulous, I had to read a couple of the posts to figure out it was bogus.:confused:

Me too. I was going to ask how will office verify distance walked.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The great novelty of the Ways of Santiago for this year 2018 is that it will no longer be necessary to make long lines to get the precious Compostela, not even to be physically in Santiago.
An official website on the Internet ... will sell the credentials, personalized, on the Internet, starting next Easter....

upload_2017-12-29_9-59-34.png - from Peanuts

Thank you Camino Chris for this memory recall :D:D:D
It's good to know I'm not alone in my niavity. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sad it is not true. Would solve a lot of problems. This morning I started reading about cryptocurrencies and block-chains. Could we start a Credential Exchange? Nothing physical required, just a ledger system.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless my calculations are way out, an impossibility, as the clock speaks...but as I am in a wake up moment, could well be way off the mark.

Carlos is in the Philippines, so 8 hours ahead of you. Now, if only he could tell you the winner of the Derby, ahead of time...

€83,-
I googled this a bit more and in various languages. There's basically no clear connection between the (historically anyway doubtful) mass infanticide and the various dates and various customs of a Feast of Fools that were popular in the Middle Ages and earlier periods. Most of these medieval customs related to 28 December died out in other parts of Europe with the Reformation and the Age of Enlightment or morphed into something else and shifted to other dates of the calendar year. Some of it remained connected to 28 December and is apparently immensely popular in Spanish speaking parts of the world.

I didn't pursue it any further but it seems that Galicia and Menorca also have similar customs in 1 April?

In Galicia is not tradition on 1 April.
Talking about Inocentadas, yesterday in Gala Inocente Inocente 2017 on TV1, Enrique Cerezo president of Atlético de Madrid CF was arguing with a shepherd who wanted enter his sheep in the new Wanda Stadium to graze, allegeting that the football field was built on and old cattle track (via pecuaria).

yesterday in Gala Inocente Inocente 2017 on TV1, Enrique Cerezo president of Atlético de Madrid CF was arguing with a shepherd who wanted enter his sheep in the new Wanda Stadium to graze, allegeting that the football field was built on and old cattle track (via pecuaria)
Hahahahaaaaaa!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seriously, what is a Compostela worth? Is it not the experience of walking or biking the Camino and all that that entails day in and day out that makes a Compostela meaningful? Enduring rain, snow, heat, Pain etc. And oh, yes,the joy of it all! Is it not the sharing and breaking bread with many pilgrims from all over the world that makes the Compostela meaningful? One might be able to purchase a Compostela or duplicate it, but without the experience what would it mean?

Oh Pshaw! Just go for the retinal scan and face recognition, installed at every licensed lodging. Can Fitbit- checking at designated waypoints be far behind?
There is an app on apple products that counts your steps......perhaps this could somehow be transferred into some kind of verification system.???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I never walked with a donkey. Plenty of asses, though. And sometimes a lot of bull!

Seriously, though. I am looking forward to the new microchip implant, which will instantly identify all True Pilgrims at the albergue door, assign them a bed, wake them up each morning before 7.30, and track their daily progress along the Trail until the final scan at the Cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just curious (from one who knows nothing): How does that morph into joking around? It sure sounds like no joke to me.
:eek:

I leave the morphing question to the psychologists.
I grew up into this tradition, I guess. My question is more like, "why do we have 2 days for pranks and tricks during the year?" But then again, since these are low-intensity traditional celebrations, I have never really gone out to investigate. I just distill the fun and enjoy it as it comes.

"why do we have 2 days for pranks and tricks during the year?"
Which begs the question, come to think about it..."Why do only have one (or two) days for pranks or tricks during the year?"
If we all took ourselves less seriously, there would be a lot less of a lot of negative things in the world.

I never walked with a donkey. Plenty of asses, though. And sometimes a lot of bull!
:D:D:D
Fortunately no names mentioned. :p

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

An official website on the Internet, endorsed by the relevant authorities with the approval of the official, secular and religious bodies of the City of the Apostle and the Autonomous Government, will sell the credentials, personalized, on the Internet, starting next Easter. in a web page that will be presented soon in Santiago once the festivity of Kings has passed. This will put an end to bureaucratic procedures and long waits,...

http://www.12minutos.com/5a44c00f7d...n-el-camino-novedad-xacobea-para-el-2018.html
I have never minded the long waits - I've just trecked 880 Km so a wait for my cred. is not a problem - in fact, I've enjoiyed waiting! I've come across people I've not seen for a while along the Way, or even from my previous Caminos, and like the 'buzz' of it, the tingle of excitement. I hope they are keeping the office open to collect the cred. personally and offering the web site as an extra option. And then there's the tranquil chapel to sit and meditate for a while, and the volunteers are all so friendly and helpful. Are pilgrims being 'pampered' to? They complain now when the wifi is poor or beds cramped, eat and drink well and can have their rucksacks transfered by taxi to the next stop. Please, keep the friendly, personal touch too.
Happy New Year and Einen Guten Rutsch :) Keith

Maybe one day with the strides being made with virtual reality, all we will need in the future is a head set and program so you can walk your favorite Camino route in the comfort of your own home...
A colleague has a set up of three large screens and a static bike so he can cycle a virtual Tour de France.
Asked why he didn't just go for a bike ride he said "it's dangerous out there!"
Ah me, the world we've made for ourselves.

I have never minded the long waits - I've just trecked 880 Km so a wait for my cred. is not a problem - in fact, I've enjoiyed waiting! I've come across people I've not seen for a while along the Way, or even from my previous Caminos, and like the 'buzz' of it, the tingle of excitement. I hope they are keeping the office open to collect the cred. personally and offering the web site as an extra option. And then there's the tranquil chapel to sit and meditate for a while, and the volunteers are all so friendly and helpful. Are pilgrims being 'pampered' to? They complain now when the wifi is poor or beds cramped, eat and drink well and can have their rucksacks transfered by taxi to the next stop. Please, keep the friendly, personal touch too.
Happy New Year and Einen Guten Rutsch :) Keith
Ahhhhh! Its a silly-billy joke. Thank goodness;-)

Maybe one day with the strides being made with virtual reality, all we will need in the future is a head set and program so you can walk your favorite Camino route in the comfort of your own home...
Unfortunately my husband already feels that way with all the Utube Camino videos he's "suffered through" watching with me on and off over the past 3 years! He thinks Armchair Camino Travel is good enough, but then again...he's not addicted! o_O

love it!!!

Thanks for the info, however I was under the impression that the internet Compostela it’s only available for those that “virtual” walk thanks for clarifying. Zzotte

€60,-
Thanks for the info, however I was under the impression that the internet Compostela it’s only available for those that “virtual” walk thanks for clarifying. Zzotte

Thats coming next - there's an app for that - a version called Pilgrim Survivor

Seriously, though. I am looking forward to the new microchip implant, which will instantly identify all True Pilgrims at the albergue door, assign them a bed, wake them up each morning before 7.30, and track their daily progress along the Trail until the final scan at the Cathedral.

Rebekah !

Good 1 !!!!!!!!!! (I'm still laughing )!

The Spanish term is "inocentada", which means an April Fools' Day like prank. ;););):p:p:p
I don't think that there is anyone within the catholic church that equates the massacre of the holy innocents with April fools day. Could you folks be thinking of Dia de los Muertos? I just did my homework, the occasions are 'celebrated' simultaneously. on Jan 29-30. Why I will never understand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back