• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Big frozen octopus

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
I was in Portland yesterday and stopped by the super Asian grocery store Uwajimaya. I found a nice octopus, something tough to find at my home store.

Does anyone have some hints on how to convert that thing into a plate of Pulpo Gallego? I've never been able to make a decent one from the pre-cooked tentacles I find among the sushi seafood. This recipe looks interesting, with a boiling, baking and grilling phase sounds like it has potential

http://honest-food.net/2013/11/25/pulpo-gallego-recipe-octopus/

Anyone out there have suggestions?

For the record, the gold standard to me is this place in Cacabelos:

pulpo.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was in Portland yesterday and stopped by the super Asian grocery store Uwajimaya. I found a nice octopus, something tough to find at my home store.

Does anyone have some hints on how to convert that thing into a plate of Pulpo Gallego? I've never been able to make a decent one from the pre-cooked tentacles I find among the sushi seafood. This recipe looks interesting, with a boiling, baking and grilling phase sounds like it has potential

http://honest-food.net/2013/11/25/pulpo-gallego-recipe-octopus/

Anyone out there have suggestions?

For the record, the gold standard to me is this place in Cacabelos:

View attachment 11455
Hi Newfydog,
I am in upstate NY and during the summer, I can usually get octopus at my wonderful grocery store Wegmans. I boil it stovetop for several hours without doing the oven thing. Just one more step. You won't believe how much these puppies shrink when they are cooked, so make sure it is large enough. After it cools, I cut it up similar to the photos but not too small, so they don't fall through the grill and rub olive oil and salt it and stick it on the grill till it gets that nice little char look. Squeeze some lemon and whatever else you want (I like the idea of the paprika) and it is good to go. Your only disappointment will be there isn't enough. Just talking about it is making me salivate.

For a good simple octopus dish I lightly fry a bulb of sliced garlic with a chili, some parsley and some lemon rind. After about a minute, add an octopus, cover the pan and leave it for 15-30 minutes, depending on how big it is. It will give out a lot of delicious juice, and become very tender (it's done if a cocktail stick slides easily into the white pouch). Take the octopus out, cut into bite sized pieces and keep warm. Use the juice to boil some peeled potatoes (keep the lid on), possibly adding a slug of albariño if there isn't enough liquid (or even if there is). Chop the potatoes up and mix with the octopus pieces, and dust with paprika and perhaps a little rock salt. Eat with the juice as a side dish.

Yum

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While we're on the subject . . . what does a big octopus taste like? I eat squid, but those are small tendrils. I once had embryo size octopus in a garlic butter sauce in Barcelona. But the really big pieces that I've seen in photos on this forum do not look appetizing. I'm hoping it's something like lobster.

. what does a big octopus taste like? I eat squid, but those are small tendrils. .

I guess it is closest to squid, but not as tough. It can be a bit slimy. Done right, with paprika, olive oil and rock salt, it is simply the best food in Spain,

I'm hoping it's something like lobster.
Try pollack for that! Octopus tastes mostly like the sauce used on it. Raw on sushi (against health codes in most of the U.S., so you may have to go to Japan), it has the texture of rubber bands and the taste of whatever is added. In Spain feiria it is boiled clipped into rounds with scissors, doused in olive oil, and dusted with hot pimiento (a red pepper similar to paprika, but hotter). This recipe puts it on a bed of potatoes, but in Melide and Sarria, it comes with bread. http://www.recetasderechupete.com/receta-de-pulpo-a-la-gallega-con-patatas/1015/

Toothpicks are provided for getting it to one's mouth.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[This recipe puts it on a bed of potatoes, but in Melide and Sarria, it comes with bread).

With a bed of potatoes = pulpo a la gallega/polvo á galega (Galician style)

With no potatoes = pulpo á feira. (fair style)

Try pollack for that! Octopus tastes mostly like the sauce used on it. Raw on sushi (against health codes in most of the U.S., so you may have to go to Japan), it has the texture of rubber bands and the taste of whatever is added. In Spain feiria it is boiled clipped into rounds with scissors, doused in olive oil, and dusted with hot pimiento (a red pepper similar to paprika, but hotter). This recipe puts it on a bed of potatoes, but in Melide and Sarria, it comes with bread. http://www.recetasderechupete.com/receta-de-pulpo-a-la-gallega-con-patatas/1015/

Toothpicks are provided for getting it to one's mouth.

I guess I suspected that. Sounds sort of like escargot, which is just an excuse for a lot of butter and garlic. The rubber band part is bringing up an old memory of arriving in Barcelona very late at night after not sleeping for 36 hours and ordering paella. It was nasty. It was a cheap, loud place, and swimming in the paella were enormous tough arms with suckers on them. I could not get a good meal until I looked up a Spanish opthalmologist --a friend of a friend--who took me to wonderful places to eat. This was a long time ago and it sounds like spanish cuisine has changed a lot since then. I mean I had bad, bad meals. Do you like pulpo?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, and to get some of that roast lamb in Hontanas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.419...m4!1e1!3m2!1sfr0ULTMOtHRzhhS5n-Vnnw!2e0?hl=en

It is around the corner from a great hotel (and the intercity bus stop):

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.419...m4!1e1!3m2!1sGHCnydruWQcDDlJOT2G5FQ!2e0?hl=en

You will be surprised at the number of pilgrims getting on the bus here. It is a bit off the Camino, so pilgrims actually walking usually do not see who is riding. It is my guess that a few of the riders will maintain that they walked the whole thing! I advocate self-acceptance rather than deceit, but that is a personal thing. I won't even offer up a reason why I rode the bus and saw all those other pilgrims.;)

(Except to say that I wanted to.)

The Greeks maintain that the only way to cook octopus is first to beat it on on a rock next to the sea 200 times before doing whatever you plan. The inn at O'Cebreiro had the best octopus I tasted in Spain, in Cyprus and Greece where it is served slightly pickled with retsina and is better, Chojiro, a sushi place in Kyoto, has the best I ever ate anywhere

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm amazed it takes so long to cook. Is it that long because of the large size? What about smaller ones?

I cook it in a pressure cooker and 10 minutes after the steam starts to go out is enough.
The recipe says that water is prohibited but I always add 2 glasses and a bay leaf, and the pulpo is OK.
It is important to wash the pulpo before cooking.
I think it is easy to prepare and the likelihood of a disaster is low.

While we're on the subject . . . what does a big octopus taste like? I eat squid, but those are small tendrils. I once had embryo size octopus in a garlic butter sauce in Barcelona. But the really big pieces that I've seen in photos on this forum do not look appetizing. I'm hoping it's something like lobster.

The plate I had in Santiago came with little arms and bigger pieces from bigger animals. It all tasted the same. It reminded me a lot of crab or lobster.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The plate I had in Santiago came with little arms and bigger pieces from bigger animals. It all tasted the same. It reminded me a lot of crab or lobster.
Thanks. If it tastes like lobster, I'm all for it.

... an additional question about pulpo. Can anyone offer some advice on how long should you cook it ? (you can find numerous recipes on line, but the cooking time is all over the map: 20 min to 1.5 hr.)

Less than five minutes or more than an hour (Seriously) Anything in between will be tough.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back