• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Big toe callus

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
I have a callus on the side of my big toe. I wear a silicone toe cap that’s has worked well on my training hikes. However now that I’m walking longer hikes my toe has decided to complain to me. Just wondering what others with this issue do?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a callus on the side of my big toe. I wear a silicone toe cap that’s has worked well on my training hikes. However now that I’m walking longer hikes my toe has decided to complain to me. Just wondering what others with this issue do?
A podiatrist can help with evaluating and treating the callus and perhaps remediating the cause.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In half seriousness, I cherish my big toe callus because it means my toe has toughened up and I won't get any more blisters there!

I agree that a certain degree of callousing can be a Good Thing!
But I often use some Kerasal on mine when they get to be painful or intrusive.

It is petroleum jelly-based so can also be used lightly as an all-over pre-sock foot slather to help prevent blisters.

On the occasions I've not been able to find Kerasal I use Flexitol, which is a cream. One or the other should be available in many places, and I'm sure there are similar products which help break down callouses sold under different formulations. Look for salicylic acid and urea in the ingredients.

And a small pumice stone is part of my toilet kit. They weigh nothing and help to keep callouses in check and remove dead skin from my feet in general after a long days walking, which makes them feel a lot better (and lets me go longer before washing my merino socks).

In half seriousness, I cherish my big toe callus because it means my toe has toughened up and I won't get any more blisters there!
Unfortunately you can still get blisters, and they can happen under the callus. 😖

Unfortunately you can still get blisters, and they can happen under the callus. 😖
And they can be worse under a callus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also have callus on the sides of both big toes! They seem to get aggravated after about 6 miles of walking- once or twice developing blisters underneath. On my caminos, I have tried every tip ever read - from Engo patches to various lubricants. etc. etc. What I usually do is tape the toes - tried all kinds of tape with no difference- and a gel toe cap. I sometimes use the knee-hi or ankle hi nylons as a liner sock under wool socks. Taking off the shoes to airdry or change socks during a rest period is a good idea. I think this callus issue has to do with my bunions and Morton's neuroma and how those conditions effect the way I walk. Let me know what works for you. Good luck!

I tape mine with waterproof, 1 inch wide medical tape. Some times the wrap lasts all week. Start with a piece over the top down past the joint then wrap a piece around. Perfect!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having had a similar issue with callouses on the sides of both big toes, with tenderness, and rare blister formation beneath the callouses, I can highly recommend consideration of two products. My go to product for blister prevention, blister treatment, and hot spots is known as Spenco Second Skin, also sold in the USA at Walgreens as Moist Burn Dressing. The larger sheets of the product allow you to cut to fit just larger than the effected area, then you cover with the adhesive dressing. You can buy the product and rolls of the adhesive dressing online.
The second skin is a hydrogel that keeps the area covered and moisturized. At the end of the day, I let the shower water loosen the dressing, remove it, use the pumice stone to decrease the callouses and remove dead skin, then apply lotion at night and in the morning, reapply new Second Skin and adhesive dressing. I sometimes use tape to start off and that has worked well as prevention also.
Important: I have had large blisters on toes, heels, hands, and road rash abrasions from bicycle accidents, and if you have ruptured blister/s or clean the road rash wound well, the Second Skin works very well with quick resolution of the discomfort and ability to continue walking.
These products have worked well for my family, myself, and my co-peregrinos on our walks.
Good luck.

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Jon Vonhof's book Fixing Your Feet . . . The 7th edition is now available at REI for $25 and worth every penny for Camino walkers. This book will explain why you DO NOT WANT ANY callouses on your feet. You want baby feet instead. As is stated above by crhutch and trecile,, you can get blisters under your callous. Then you are in big trouble. I have a large recurring callous on my right big toe (same foot has a serious bunion) which I try to keep tamed by a rough podiatry stone at home and by emery boards while on the Camino (much lighter). I baby the bunion with an Engo patch. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
a callous is no guarantee against blisters. See a Podiatrist. As there is still time before travelling, any adjustment the Podiatrist makes, your feet can still adjust before going.

Here's my solution to toe issues. I developed it while hiking the 850-mile El Camino Real (Mission Trail) in California. Note: I've changed socks in the interim to the Injini crew length liner toe sock and to the Smartwool Performance Sock for the outer sock, but the principle is the same.

You can purchase the tubular foam bandages on AMAZON. They come in 3 diameters and are cut to length. I use the small diameter for the little toe, the medium for the second toe (my biggest problem toe), and the large for the big toe. The foam weighs almost nothing and squeeze down to take up very little room in the backpack. Here's the link to the tubular foam on AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZUMMTU/?tag=casaivar02-20
image009.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention another solution I developed for toe issues. I call them toe casts. Here's an excerpt from a guidebook I wrote on hiking the El Camino Real (FYI, the book is no longer in distribution).

The toe cast system is something I developed during my running days to prevent blisters and hot spots. It is quite possible that someone else thought of this before me, but I have yet to see a published reference to credit.

The casts are constructed from multiple layers of Nexcare (Micropore) paper tape. It is important not to substitute any other brand of tape because the adhesive and backing have unique properties suited for this use. The adhesive increases in strength when exposed to small amounts of moisture, such as inside a shoe. This allows the cast to stay in place though long hikes, and even through multiple showers. Shortly after a cast is applied, the paper layers fuse together to form a flexible cast-like material that acts like a protective layer of callused skin.

Toe socks help extend the life of the cast for up to a week, but typically I change them every 2 to 3 days to prevent characteristic foot odors from developing. It is important to allow them to thoroughly dry after a shower and exposing them to air overnight is sufficient (another reason not to shower the morning of a hike). They adhere quite strongly to skin and may be difficult to remove when they are dry but are easily removed when wet. Therefore, when you decide to remove a toe cast, do so within a half hour of showering or bathing while they are still wet.

Figures A through F show construction of a toe cast on a big toe. The method is similar for all toes, but the middle toes are more challenging because you need to work around other toes. If you desire a thicker cast apply additional layers of tape. If a blister has already formed, apply the toe cast directly over the blister once the blister is drained. Additional drainage will be absorbed by the cast. A tubular foam toe bandage can be placed over the toe cast to cushion the blister. Another option is to drain the blister and apply a small bandage or moleskin over the blister and then apply the toe cast over the bandage. Silicone anti-chafe cream can be applied over the cast to give it more glide within the sock. Petroleum jelly tends to soften the adhesive, lessen the life of the toe cast, and leave more adhesive residue on the skin than silicone anti-chafe creams.

Toe cast application (see figure below)
A)
Cut a piece of Nexcare (Micropore) paper tape approximately twice the length of the toe and apply it over the toe, securing it lightly to the sides of the toe.
B) Press the edges of the tape to the skin on all sides and cut off the corners that form at the top of the toe.
C) Cut a second piece of tape approximately the same length as the first one and lightly secure it perpendicular to the first piece.
D) Press the edges of the second piece of tape to the toe and cut off the corners that form at the top of the toe. Firmly secure all edges of the tape to the toe.
E) Cut a third piece of tape about twice the diameter of the toe. Secure one end to the toe and wrap it around the toe over the first two pieces of tape.
F) Apply gentle pressure to the completed toe cast. If you have a silicone-based anti-friction cream available, apply a small amount to the toe cast to give it more glide within the sock.

image008.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Call me brutal and rough , perhaps even abrasive ! I deal with calluses with emery paper . After showering the callus is soft and a 80 grit cloth backed emery will quickly reduce it to acceptable size .
Dont go too far , your skin will tell you when to stop , takes only a moment or two , costs nothing and weighs nothing .

Call me brutal and rough , perhaps even abrasive ! I deal with calluses with emery paper . After showering the callus is soft and a 80 grit cloth backed emery will quickly reduce it to acceptable size .
Dont go too far , your skin will tell you when to stop , takes only a moment or two , costs nothing and weighs nothing .
Many tools sold for reducing calluses are basically sandpaper. 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
(Micropore) paper tape
I enthusiastically second this!
With lambswool on top if extra protection is needed.

Paper tape has kept me mostly blister-free after a horrid experience on my 1st camino - I got blisters on the sides of the 3rd and 4th toes that got infected, thanks to compeed.

I discovered sandpaper on the Appalachian Trail. Sand off callouses every week or so to avoid pressure points and cracking. Put a little lip gloss or oil on afterwards. Sounds strange, but has worked well for me for 6,000 + miles.

I discovered sandpaper on the Appalachian Trail. Sand off callouses every week or so to avoid pressure points and cracking. Put a little lip gloss or oil on afterwards. Sounds strange, but has worked well for me for 6,000 + miles.

That's actually a great idea - a small sheet of sandpaper is likely to weigh even less than the smallest pumice stone, and will definitely take up less space in my toilet kit. Just have to make sure to use sandpaper with a grit of 200 or more - an 80 grit might end up removing actual skin along with those pesky callouses! 😆

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just an additional thought on this topic...
If you've been training with this callous for any period of time and you are now about to reduce or remove it, your shoes may not fit the same as before and your gait may be slightly altered, which could lead to other "issues ".
My thoughts are to make a decision on what to do with the callous sooner than later and to readjust and acclimatize your body before your trip.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.