• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bigger size Shoe

believer12345

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino in April. I’m still getting organized, one issue I’m trying to figure out is getting a good pair of shoes. My foot size is 14.5, ( US I usually wear size 16 US for any physical activity. Any good shoe recommend for the Camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino in April. I’m still getting organized, one issue I’m trying to figure out is getting a good pair of shoes. My foot size is 14.5, ( US I usually wear size 16 US for any physical activity. Any good shoe recommend for the Camino?
I agree with your upping up on the size of shoe, as your feet will swell quite a bit during the Camino. I wear a size 11.5 in a dress/casual shoe, 12 in a running shoe and 12.5 for the Caminos and this has worked well for me. Have used North Face and Solomon and those work for me but, as you probably already have seen in these treads, the choice of a particular brand is a somewhat personal decision. Suggest that you go to a store (e.g. REI if available) and try in different brands to see what suits you. Make sure you put a number of miles on the shoes before going on the Camino - better to get the pains/blisters behind you before doing a Camino rather than having to deal with them on the Camino. Also, you should consider to what extent the shoes are water proof/repellent, and you don't need hiking boots, as a hiking shoe is all you really need.
I find this web site (https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/) to be a good guide in selecting a shoe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We got bad advice for our first camino and had terrible foot trouble - blisters, lost toe nails etc. I now wear a full size larger than normal. Get them professionally fitted is my advice. I like a boot for ankle support, but everyone is different.

I’ve always worn boots and love the stable feel, but recently I have been practicing for my March Camino from Burgos to Ponferrada in Brooks Dyad runners, up by one-half size from my jogging pair. The lighter weight is easier, faster, and has given me more endurance. They have been stable on rocky and muddy ground; the only issue has been grip, and the Meseta appears flatter and manageable for that. Pray I don’t come home in an Orthopaedic boot.😁🙏

Just my personal experience: I have worn boots for the ankle support. Usually US 13 street shoe but wear 14 US boots, very wide and flat feet. Wore boots for 100 miles walking to break in and tried Aslo(stiff, felt narrow fit for me), Keen ( nice fit but felt ankle support insufficient for me), then Merrell Moab- nice fit and good support with good grip. Wore the Merrell Moab boot and took replacement insoles which I used half way through our Camino.
It's always a personal preference.
Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No. Blindly buying a bigger size can create the very problem you want to solve.

The only way to determine the size you need for a proper fit is to go thru the steps to assure that your feet are size-matched to that specific brand and model of footwear.

As to the type of footwear, get the lightest footwear for the type of trekking you are doing in the climate you will be in. You will be lifting the weight of the shoe on your feet hundreds of thousands of times. Any reduction in weight on the foot will save you energy, and reduce overly fatigued lower leg structures that can increase injury risks such as sprains and shin splints.

Below is a copy of what I recently posted on a different thread:
——-

I never recommend automatically going a size larger. Only a proper fitting can determine if, or by how much to increase a shoe size or width.

Shoes are created on various moulds and ‘lasts’. Manufacturers have leeway to state what their version of a size 9 is, for example.

A leather shoe for work will fit differently to a trail runner for sport. A size 9 in a work shoe could be the effective equivalent to a size 7 trail runner.

Then we have the fact that there can be serious size differences between each outdoor footwear manufacturers trail runner (or boot or hiking shoe). That’s why a wide width New Balance shoe will feel roomier than an Asics or Asolo.

So to get a good fit, each shoe buying expedition benefits from the tips below.

As you go looking for shoe, here are some tips which I have posted before that may help you.
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may need to go up from only 1/2 size to 2+ sizes in length, and go with a much wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above.
  13. Ignore measuring devices, the size labels on the shoe boxes, and the sizes of your other shoes; your only concern is how this new pair of footwear fits and feel.

Last edited:
Like you, my husband also requires a large shoe size. He has been very happy walking several Camino routes using various trail shoes made by Columbia. You might want to check to see if any of their footwear choices will suit your needs.

Davebugg has the single, best answer you are likely to find. I cannot stress trying on shoes with the actual shoes you plan to wear. This is #2 on his list above.

Personally, with size 11 (US) feet, I wear a size 13 Keen Targhee II boot. These boots are cut 1/2 size small. So the actual sizing is 12.5 (US) - 1.5 sizes larger than my actual measurement.

For my feet this works out to 1\/2 size extra for the two pair of socks. Another 1/2 size for swelling from a full day walking in heat and humidity. Finally, I allowed another 1/2 size for the inevitable foot splaying (spreading) that I experience after a month or more walking every day with a rucksack on.

Remember, everyone's feet are different. Follow Davebugg's advice and you will be fine.

My additional advice is to wear the boots with the actual socks you plan to use, around your home or locally to break in the footwear.

Good luck, buen Camino and Ultreia!

Tom

The only way to determine the size you need for a proper fit is to go thru the steps to assure that your feet are size-matched to that specific brand and model of footwear.

As to the type of footwear, get the lightest footwear for the type of trekking you are doing in the climate you will be in. You will be lifting the weight of the shoe on your feet hundreds of thousands of times. Any reduction in weight on the foot will save you energy, and reduce overly fatigued lower leg structures that can increase injury risks such as sprains and shin splints.

——-

I never recommend automatically going a size larger. Only a proper fitting can determine if, or by how much to increase a shoe size or width.

Shoes are created on various moulds and ‘lasts’. Manufacturers have leeway to state what their version of a size 9 is, for example.

A leather shoe for work will fit differently to a trail runner for sport. A size 9 in a work shoe could be the effective equivalent to a size 7 trail runner.

Then we have the fact that there can be serious size differences between each outdoor footwear manufacturers trail runner (or boot or hiking shoe). That’s why a wide width New Balance shoe will feel roomier than an Asics or Asolo.

As you go looking for shoe, here are some tips which I have posted before that may help you.
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may need to go up from only 1/2 size to 2+ sizes in length, and go with a much wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above.
  13. Ignore measuring devices, the size labels on the shoe boxes, and the sizes of your other shoes; your only concern is how this new pair of footwear fits and feel.
Great list davebugg.
Thanks.

Hi,
I have UK size 15 extra wide and I have the same problem. I would advise finding a pair of shoes/boots that you are comfortable with before you leave. Having outsize feet means that fit is much more important than lightness, I just don't have the range of options available. I know where to buy outsize here in UK, but would hate to try in Spain if I had to replace. A good pair would stand up to being worn in during training for the walk, and then being worn on the route. A pair of properly fitting shoes/boots that are worn in before I go is my priority, with good socks, not necessarily the perfect balance of weight and breathability. Training and fitness I hope will make up the difference.
My debate is whether to take a back up pair, is the extra weight worth it? I am thinking of a good pair of worn in sandles to be worn on hotter days to spread the wear on the main boots/shoes.
Good luck with the search.

Your feet sound as though they're as huge as my own !!

At this end of things, there are literally no one-size-fits-all solutions, and you will need to work things out for yourself -- and you will need to do that, and then verify it, pre-departure, given that these sorts of shoe sizes are exotic and rare in Spain.

I personally use French Army boots, though more lightweight sports shoes can be found in Europe at a pinch.

But I'd suggest something durable, and also making VERY sure they're correct for your hiking style, and that they are not harmful to the skin of your feet, and that they do not cramp your feet.

A pair of classic leather rambling shoes maybe, with thick rubber soles ? Dunno why, but that's the picture comes to my mind !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Davebugg has the single, best answer you are likely to find.
Dave's advice is always worth heeding, as it's systematically good -- but I do have to say that your own experience of US sizes 11-13 simply does not translate upwards into the 14½-16+ area, not through any fault of your own, but simply because of being somewhat unaware of the realities of living in bodies this tall and with such big feet.

I certainly do not prejudge believer's needs ; for all I know, he may be tall yet thin -- but pilgrims with feet as large as ours need atypical solutions.

——-

Thank you for this, it’s very informative!

My husband and I both love our La Sportevas. Depends on your foot shape, I’d go with a hiking store person they usually have sound advice. I upped my size by a half and still lost 3 toenails from our Oct,2021 Primitiveo, whoops🚶🏼‍♀️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey @believer12345. Ive done 3 Caminos and always wear boots rather than shoes to protect my ankles and wear a boot a size bigger. I have always used a German brand called menial. absolute class.. but its about what's comfy for you. have a rad of my blog from my Caminos. you may like it

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Individually held preferences are something which cannot and should not be debated. Folks have a right to make choices based on whatever criteria they believe is important to them. To that end, I want to say that whatever your reason for wanting boots, flip-flops, bare feet, sandals, trail runners, etc. do not feel that you must change your decisions based on what 'everyone else' does. Be comfortable with your choice.

That being said, if there are statements or observations made in a forum post as a reason to support a choice, then I think that it is important to make sure that any stated 'facts' are actually 'facts'.

Such is the case with footwear. It is not my intention to offend anyone, as I believe that there are times and situations where boots are a reasonable choice to make when hiking, backpacking, or walking. I own and use a pair of Lowa Camino boots in certain seasons and weather conditions in the mountains when backpacking.

However, there a lot of people on this forum looking for answers about footwear and want to make decisions based on what is factual criteria. If looking at boots as a footwear choice, ankle support protection is not a reason to do so.

As to the long held idea that boots provide ankle supportprotection, long term studies and research have shown this to be not quite the case.

First, unless there are specific and diagnosed medical issues, the ankle is best protected with exercise and use, where the ankle is allowed to use uneven surfaces, exercise, and balancing on one foot in order to build strength and endurance and lessen susceptibility to injurious fatigue.

The only sure and viable ankle support for protection, to those with such a medically indicated need, are ankle braces which can fit inside of the shoe or boot. Despite anecdotal evidence and subjective opinion to the contrary, research has repeatedly shown that boots by themselves do not provide the level of stiffness and the shear rigidity needed to keep ankles free from injury.

They can, in fact, exacerbate the risk of injury.

A foot in a boot is sitting higher off the ground than when in a shoe because the outer and mid-soles are much thicker and built up. Additionally, the outer sole of boots are trimmed closer to shell of the boot, meaning that the outer sole has a fairly narrow profile. Both of these factors have been shown to have a higher risk of the footwear 'rolling' when stepping on an unstable surface or piece of debris like loose rocks or uneven surfaces.

As the boot begins to roll, the boot carries the foot with it, the higher material of the boot above the ankle exerts more force against the foot to make it roll with the boot. That material is not stiff enough to keep from flexing, which means that your ankle is going to start bending as the roll of the boot continues. And because the foot is higher off the ground inside the boot, the ankle can be forced into a more significant bending.

Another factor about boots that helps lead to injury is their weight. The heavier the weight that the foot and lower legs need to lift, the more stress and fatigue the ankles and supporting structures are exposed to. Such weakens the ability of the ankle structures to maintain resiliency.

Trail shoes and trail runners, on the other hand, do the opposite when confronted with the same type of uneven surface or debris. The outer and midsoles are much closer to the ground. They are also wider than the shoe making for a contact point with the ground that is more stable. Their much lighter weight keeps ankle structures from fatiguing.

Now here is the thing researchers found as most significant: A foot in a shoe that is kept a bit loose can compensate, to a large degree, when the shoe starts to roll off of an uneven surface. As the shoe rolls, the shoe tends to slip around the foot. In other words, the shoe moves around the foot for the most part, so the ankle won't immediately bend out of place with the shoe. This allows the wearer of the shoe to have enough time to react to the rolling and twisting shoe to keep the ankle from injurious strain.

Yes, there are people who get ankle injuries in trail shoes and trail runners. But those injuries are less frequent and less severe, on an average, than with a foot encased in an above the ankle hiking boot.

As I stated above, there will be any number of folks that, with no predisposing medical conditions, will state anecdotal evidence along the lines that they, or a friend, or other family members, et al, were saved by above the ankle boots. Subjective opinion is like that. :) But objective evidence begs to differ on the best way of protecting ankles and the lower leg structures.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your feet sound as though they're as huge as my own !!

At this end of things, there are literally no one-size-fits-all solutions, and you will need to work things out for yourself -- and you will need to do that, and then verify it, pre-departure, given that these sorts of shoe sizes are exotic and rare in Spain.

I personally use French Army boots, though more lightweight sports shoes can be found in Europe at a pinch.

But I'd suggest something durable, and also making VERY sure they're correct for your hiking style, and that they are not harmful to the skin of your feet, and that they do not cramp your feet.

A pair of classic leather rambling shoes maybe, with thick rubber soles ? Dunno why, but that's the picture comes to my mind !!
I do have 2 pairs of French Army surplus, that I have tried on a short walking holiday, in soggy England. I grabbed them as they were reduced to clear, £30 each! and a decent fit. At that sort of price I was prepared to risk an impulse purchase. Other shoes I have bought and then reassessed them and used them for less critical things, it is trial and error for what works for me. I am unsure about the French boots in warm weather but for day to day bashing about in cold and wet weather I find them excellent. It is all about what works for the individual person in specific circumstances, and what works for me may be terrible for someone else. With that caveat I use Hi-Tech walking shoes that I bought from the same supplier, a company called walktall.co.uk, also known as magnusshoes.com for womens outsize. I like their range of sizes and makers, I don't know if they ship internationally.

anecdotal evidence and subjective opinion to the contrary, research has repeatedly shown that boots by themselves do not provide the level of stiffness and the shear rigidity needed to keep ankles free from injury.

They can, in fact, exacerbate the risk of injury.
Thank you once again @davebugg for your clear and factual advice. The research that I have read on this topic absolutely supports what Dave has said.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As to the long held idea that boots provide ankle supportprotection, long term studies and research have shown this to be not quite the case.
Well ...
First, unless there are specific and diagnosed medical issues
Don't necessarily need to be formally diagnosed, if the issues really exist is the thing.

And that can be anatomical rather than medical per se.

I have both anatomical and medical issues in my ankles.

First, I have a degree of malformation of the ankles, so that my toes point inwards not outwards. This creates a real and permanent risk of twisting or spraining my ankle (made worse by my size and the size of my feet), not even hiking just daily life ; and before I started wearing boots, that happened about once a month or so.

The support that a pair of tall boots provides is sufficient to prevent that from happening I'd guess about 90% of the time -- as they help my ankles to not twist too far if I mis-step for those reasons.

Second, I have arthrosis which is spreading out from the knees, and is certainly affecting the ankles. This makes them both weaker and more painful.

Again, the boots provide support, when the pain gets bad, as I can use the side straps on either boot to tighten them, and this allows me to continue walking even after I have twisted my ankle as above, as the support provided both helps keep my feet in a correct position, and even helps decrease pain from the twisted ankle.

So no, dave, I do not agree with you that boots cannot provide support, no matter what studies you might cite, and because they do, I wear my army boots every single day, and indeed I use no other footwear in any circumstances.

Last edited:
Well ...

Don't necessarily need to be formally diagnosed, if the issues really exist is the thing.

And that can be anatomical rather than medical per se.

I have both anatomical and medical issues in my ankles.

First, I have a degree of malformation of the ankles, so that my toes point inwards not outwards. This creates a real and permanent risk of twisting or spraining my ankle (made worse by my size and the size of my feet), not even hiking just daily life ; and before I started wearing boots, that happened about once a month or so.

The support that a pair of tall boots provides is sufficient to prevent that from happening I'd guess about 90% of the time -- as they help my ankles to not twist too far if I mis-step for those reasons.

Second, I have arthrosis which is spreading out from the knees, and is certainly effecting the ankles. This makes them both weaker and more painful.

Again, the boots provide support, when the pain gets bad, as I can use the side straps on either boot to tighten them, and this allows me to continue walking even after I have twisted my ankle as above, as the support provided both helps keep my feet in a correct position, and even helps decrease pain from the twisted ankle.

So no, dave, I do not agree with you that boots cannot provide support, no matter what studies you might cite, and because they do, I wear my army boots every single day, and indeed I use no other footwear in any circumstances.
You refer to abnormal musculoskeletal issues which I took pains to exempt. You are correct that a formal medical diagnosis is ancillary to their existence. Of course there are a variety of such problems that benefit from, and may require, heavier footwear including boots.

My post was focused on those with normal lower leg and foot structures.

€83,-
Sure. I just thought your brushstrokes were a tad too broad.
Noted; they were not meant to be. The intent was meant to address the broad brushstrokes of advice that, irrespective of a demonstrable need, an over ankle hiking boot provides the normal leg more ankle protection from injury than does a trail shoe or a running shoe.

It may be worth noting that I had crossed out the word “support” to help distinguish such functionality from that of “protection” as a footwear prophylactic for normal foot and leg structures against injury.

Last edited:
My spouse wears a similar size. REI didn’t have much to offer. We ordered Keen Voyagers in 2 different sizes from Amazon. Kept one pair but they are kinda heavy, ended up using Brooks Ghost 13. A local running shoe store was willing to order several different brands and models for him to try on, not the great ‘return for any reason’ policy of REI… He took a pair of very light slides for shower and after walking. A second pair of shoes that large is just so heavy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your 16s are the correct size. Pilgrims make the mistake of wearing their normal size boots/shoes on the Camino, which causes a lot of foot problems. Your feet will expand as you walk the Camino day after day. Your regular shoe size may change after walking the Camino. Since I walk the Camino regularly, my regular shoe size has gone from a 9 1/2 to a 10 1/2 EE.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.