• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike on the Train (AGAIN!!)

OCHAR

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2018
Searched forum but cannot find a clear answer. Sorry if this has been covered before.
Planning the 2018 Camino by bike. Two of us need to get from Madrid to Leon with our bikes on the train. We will again need to get our bikes on a train from Santiago to Madrid.
We would MUCH prefer if we did NOT have to dismantle the bikes. From what I can tell, bikes are allowed on SOME trains etc.
Can anyone offer some advice? Has anyone done this??
Thanks in advance!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Direct, if imperfect, translation from RENFE: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/index.html "Bicycles folded or disassembled inside a cover, whose dimensions do not add between three more than 180 cm. In the trains of Conventional Average Distance, Suburbs and Metric Width it will not be indispensable that the folded bicycles travel inside a sheath."

In a Tinker translation that comes down to: On commuter, suburban and narrow gauge (FEVE) trains bikes do not have to be disassembled. For the journeys you are planning bikes need to be disassembled and packed into some sort of container / Bike bag.

Hola @OCHAR .
Whilst google translation is reasonably accurate the major stumbling block is that the length of the folded/packed bike (including its box or carry case ) must not exceed 1200 mm (about 4 feet for those who think that way). What train can you take your bike? :
1 AVE - NO';
2. Media Distance - yes if it meets the packed dimensions conditions. (Very occasionally there is a cargo compartment on these trains which will allow for bikes to be carried - I think it might be the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid);
3. Local commuter trains - yes. Both complete and packed (often depends upon passenger numbers).

Back in 2015 I took my bike (in its box - just over 1500 mm) from Madrid to Pamplona - luck for me the conductor realised I was a pilgrim and just ignored that I had it taking up 4 seats. (Also the train was only half full). To get the bike back to Madrid I ended up going to Velocipedo cycle shop in Santiago - Rua San Pedro 23 (tel 981 580 260) they are actually right on the camino trail (Camino Frances) as you come into the city following the yellow arrows. The will pack your bikes and arrange transport back to Madrid (but it will have to go to a hotel/hostel/home - somewhere where someone is actually expecting the package. You cannot send it directly to the airport). I think it cost me Euro 50 or 65, but it was well worth it. Good luck.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola @OCHAR .
Whilst google translation is reasonably accurate the major stumbling block is that the length of the folded/packed bike (including its box or carry case ) must not exceed 1200 mm (about 4 feet for those who think that way). What train can you take your bike? :
1 AVE - NO';
2. Media Distance - yes if it meets the packed dimensions conditions. (Very occasionally there is a cargo compartment on these trains which will allow for bikes to be carried - I think it might be the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid);
3. Local commuter trains - yes. Both complete and packed (often depends upon passenger numbers).

Back in 2015 I took my bike (in its box - just over 1500 mm) from Madrid to Pamplona - luck for me the conductor realised I was a pilgrim and just ignored that I had it taking up 4 seats. (Also the train was only half full). To get the bike back to Madrid I ended up going to Velocipedo cycle shop in Santiago - Rua San Pedro 23 (tel 981 580 260) they are actually right on the camino trail (Camino Frances) as you come into the city following the yellow arrows. The will pack your bikes and arrange transport back to Madrid (but it will have to go to a hotel/hostel/home - somewhere where someone is actually expecting the package. You cannot send it directly to the airport). I think it cost me Euro 50 or 65, but it was well worth it. Good luck.

Velocipedo is a great idea for getting the bikes back to Madrid!! Thanks!! Now that leaves how to get the bikes from Madrid to Leon??????

Hey, I'm planning to get the train from Leon to Santiago with my bike - I have no idea how to do this or whether or not I need to disassemble the bike - does anyone have any idea?!

We put our bikes in two separate bike carriers made of cloth - specially for carrying bikes. We had to take off the wheels first to make the packages as small as possible. But we put them into the luggage hold of a bus, not a train. Having said that, I suspect we would have been able to haul them onto a train as they wouldn't have taken up any more room than a large suitcase. And were certainly not as heavy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another alternative is FlixBus. I took my bike wrapped in a plastic bag with the handlebars turned. A bike shop in Santiago sold me the bag, and they seemed very familiar with the requirements. It cost €5 or €10 extra on FlixBus for a separate reservation for the bike. I found the buses comfortable and fairly economical.

Hey, I'm planning to get the train from Leon to Santiago with my bike - I have no idea how to do this or whether or not I need to disassemble the bike - does anyone have any idea?!

Check the Renfe site. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

From experience, you can transport your bike assembled or in a bike bag. The option will be decided on which route and which type of train you use, so you need to check first.

The SdC route does have restrictions (ie bike bag) but these restrictions appear to start at Sarria so you might be able to get close unassembled. Talk to to the Customer Service at Leon.

Getting you bike out of SdC is actually very easy. The Correos (Spanish mail) office just down from the Cathedral has an ample supply of bike boxes so you can send you bike back by mail.

I have only one thing to add. I think the information about which trains in France and Spain take fully assembling bikes is correct and you see the signs on the sides of the cars. However things change from day to day. I was in Najera during festival and the bus stop was moved from the center of town to a place up hill near the police station and because the buses were bringing in loads of festival goers, the buses leaving town were not ones the size to accept bikes. I waited nearly 4 hours for the proper size bus to show up after I had almost completely disassembled my bike at that point. Rules are rules but accept that things are totally flexible in Spain and France

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back