• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike security?

rachcarter

Hi

I am wondering what people do with their bikes at night when they are staying at albergues. Is there normally a shed to put the bikes in - or are they left outside and you just lock them up?

My first night I will need to find accommodation is Pamplona - is there an albergue that is more suitable with a bike?

Kind regards,
Rachael

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Albergue Jesus y Maria has a large bicycle storage area in the foyer, but it will be closed July 5 to July 14. Depending on how busy they are, they will turn away pilgrims who have not walked into the city. In general, bicyclists are not admitted until 6 p.m., by which time it may be full. Albergue Casa Paderborn will be open all of July, but it has only 26 beds, and in July they are likely to be gone by mid-afternoon.

We were no more or less concerned about this than when cycling/cycle touring elsewhere. We locked bikes together and were alwats careful to remove easily stolen items such as lights and pumps.
By using Ortlieb paniers we could unclip bags very easily. Valuables and documents went in the handlebar bag which also had a mapcase - this, like the panniers also have a useful shoulder strap for easy carrying and were doubly useful for visits in afternoons etc.
I cycle tour alot on my own. I often feel more concerned about theft from campsites then when wildcamping. Albergues seem no more of a concern for cyclists than walkers. Prudence and discretion are key as they are whilst in cafes, restaurants etc. Keeping in sight of my bike whilst having a coffee break gives peace of mind as much as anything else.
The maxim of what you own owns you is appropriate. I can easily feel somewhat like Gollum - treasuring my precious possessions instead of living the life that the freedom of travel gives away from the daily drudge of mere existence.
All the best,
Duncan.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you look at godesalco, you can work out your itinerary, from there, look at mundicamino and on this site, you can then see if the place has a lockup for your bike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at Cisur Menor (about 2km outside Pamplona) and locked my bike away for the night in an outbuilding they lent me the key for. They have a quite intimidating looking German Shepherd who sleeps close by so your bike is really quite secure.

A couple of ten-year-olds did try having it away with my panniers in the middle of the old town though (seriously) - it was a bit slum-dog-millionaire-ish.

There's loads of info on the Spanish refuges and the office in SJPDP is really helpful. There's a really good Michelin guide.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back