• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike Security

Gbadgley

Hello,

I'm going to Mountain Bike the camino from Pamplona to Santiago and am curious as to what your experience has been in locking your bike. Do the albergues/hostels/hotels allow you to bring the bike inside, or are you forced to lock them outside?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Gary Badgley
Canada

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I met a Dutchman who had cycled from his home outside Amsterdam, and his bike was stolen in Logrono when he did not secure it for a store visit. Amazingly he found the bike later in the day, minus all the equipment, and continued to Fisterra.

Trust but verify.

We had no trouble securing the bikes at night. Usually the albergue/hotel/hostal would make certain we had a secure location to keep the bikes. This varied, sometimes the bikes were in our rooms, or the hotel kitchen, a spare room, a garage, etc. Take the usual precautions that you would take anywhere and things should work out.

As for stops during the day, we always locked them, or had one person stay with the bikes. In cases where we would leave the bikes to go tour a building, eat, etc., we carried all or our really important things (computer, phone, documents) in a day pack. I highly recommend the Sea to Summit, Ultra-Sil pack. It weighs 2.4 oz/68 gm and it proved to be worth it's weight in gold. It stuffs into a storage bag that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It also served duty as our grocery/shopping bag and we never travel without it.

Enjoy your ride and report back on your experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Like some of the others, I've met people whose bikes have been stolen. When the Zamora albergue opened a few years ago, bikes were routinely put outside on the clothes-drying patio. Then one night, someone jumped over the wall and took all the bikes. The albergue then installed a fence that seems to have solved the problem. I wouldn't say it's an epidemic, but valuables of any kind may be a target, so take care of them!

I was mixed in my experience. Some alburgues let me bring my bike inside, some had a specific place for bikes and some made me lock it up outside. I brought my valuables into the albergue with me. I always travel with a lock for my bike. Of course it's really only a deterrent. If someone really wants it, they'll take it regardless. My experience was that the vast majority of people along the routes pilgrims and locals alike were "good" people trying to get by and survive just like the rest of us.

We had no trouble securing the bikes at night. Usually the albergue/hotel/hostal would make certain we had a secure location to keep the bikes. This varied, sometimes the bikes were in our rooms, or the hotel kitchen, a spare room, a garage, etc. Take the usual precautions that you would take anywhere and things should work out.

As for stops during the day, we always locked them, or had one person stay with the bikes. In cases where we would leave the bikes to go tour a building, eat, etc., we carried all or our really important things (computer, phone, documents) in a day pack. I highly recommend the Sea to Summit, Ultra-Sil pack. It weighs 2.4 oz/68 gm and it proved to be worth it's weight in gold. It stuffs into a storage bag that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It also served duty as our grocery/shopping bag and we never travel without it.

Enjoy your ride and report back on your experience.

Yes, the Sea to Summit bag turned out to be very valuable. The only criticism I would have of it, is that should have a small buckle attached to the straps so you can buckle it across your chest. I missed this. But it was worth its weight in gold!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not to instill paranoia in any one, but you should be careful when you arrive in the pilgrims office and are waiting in line to get your compostela. There have been some, not many, incidents of bike and backpack theft, and there is now a security guard in the courtyard during peak hours. If you think about it, it's a perfect storm for losing awareness of your belongings -- the emotions of arriving at "the end", the frequent chance encounters of long lost camino friends, none of this is very conducive to paying attention to your pack and/or bike.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back