• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike with low traffic Santander to Gijon but not rough tracks

Cantoris1

Time of past OR future Camino
St Francis planned June 22
Gijon-Santander July22
Please can anyone suggest a good bike route for myself and my wife with little traffic but no rough tracks from Santander to Gijon. We are having difficulty picking out quiet scenic roads. Celebrating our 75th birthdays. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You'll probably have to plan your own version as there will be parts where you will have to go offroad. It's simply the geography of the area.

The Spanish Depart of Transport (DGT) have a site where it shows you, in their expert view, might be unsafe which is what I think you are concerned about. Have a look at their take on the Norte

It shows caution points and risk points. These are the sections you either need to take care or route around - which might be difficult.

Are you going to use maps or gps?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for both these comments - we value your experience. We are busy plotting gps routes. Set o9ff in 2 weeks.

About 200km but plenty of short wicked steep hills in north Spain. Remember most of the traffic will be on the A8/E70 with local traffic coming off to the popular coastal towns. Apart from the two previous suggestions also look on Wikiloc for suitable routes and try Komoot, if not already using it, a very good bike routing app. Enjoy the ride.

What day are you leaving, if from the US? I have the latest edition of Guia del Camino de Santiago en tu mochila Camino Norte. A very fit couple from here in Anchorage used this guide for their e-bike trek on the del Norte a couple of years ago and said it was a lifesaver. It is in Spanish. I will give you my copy and send it to you by Priority mail if you can get it in time. I am guessing its earliest arrival in the US would be no earlier than June 8 or 9. You could pm me your mailing address or just post it on a reply if you want. You will love the del Norte. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forgot to mention the subtitle of the guide book is Guia del Peregrino Practico a pie o en bicicleta. It is very well illustrated. I think useful even without being able to read Spanish. (The Anchorage couple were fluent in Spanish.) Buen Camino

Thanks again. We are leaving from the UK next Tuesday. Feeling well equiped now with pilgrim resources, and nearly planned up on GPS Garmin and Komoot.. Hope weather might be a bit warmer than here. Hoping for wind on our backs - not very likely I think - and minimal rain. Hope to be in the cathedral at Santiago on July 2nd and 3rd.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back