• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bikers on the Norte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't recall seeing a single one. That said, the Norte has a fair amount of road walking compared to the Francis which has almost none. Some of the road walking is on busy roads where busses are more of an issue than bikers! A reasonable amount is also on beach walks, where you will encounter a lot of people strolling with ice cream or dogs. Away from the towns, its a much lonelier trail with some significant hills, not suitable for a biker who doesn't have a death wish. Bikes are the least of your concerns.

Buen Camino

We agree with Rick M, don't recall many bikes at all when we walked the Norte from the end of April to mid June 2018.
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be walking the Norte next spring. My question is, are there many bikers compared to the Francis where I experienced many close calls?

Can I just clarify your terminology - I think you mean pilgrim cyclists - and indeed I didn't see many

But, especially at weekends, you will see groups of motor cyclists (that I would call bikers) out riding - and well as some amateur cyclists out on the roads

Can I just clarify your terminology - I think you mean pilgrim cyclists - and indeed I didn't see many

But, especially at weekends, you will see groups of motor cyclists (that I would call bikers) out riding - and well as some amateur cyclists out on the roads
If a biker hits you does it make a difference?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't recall seeing a single one. That said, the Norte has a fair amount of road walking compared to the Francis which has almost none. Some of the road walking is on busy roads where busses are more of an issue than bikers! A reasonable amount is also on beach walks, where you will encounter a lot of people strolling with ice cream or dogs. Away from the towns, its a much lonelier trail with some significant hills, not suitable for a biker who doesn't have a death wish. Bikes are the least of your concerns.

Buen Camino
Thank you for your reply.

Buen Camino
I am confused by your answer. I have walked the Francis many times and we walked along a road alot the very first day from St Jean. I found much of the Camino was on back roads and along roads even if we are on a newly built trail. We plan to walk the Norte in May so are going to walk on highway? Please explain the difference thanks.

The building of superhighways close to the Norte has taken a lot of the traffic has taken a lot of the traffic away from the ordinary highways - you should at least buy a guidebook and see for yourself

I found much of the Camino was on back roads and along roads even if we are on a newly built trail.

Indeed, as you point out, the Francis is mostly on an improved aggregate trail, some of which runs parallel to a local road, like the N-120. Away from the towns and villages, you are on that trail. Towns are towns, and you are on a road, usually on a sidewalk. But on the Norte there is not as much "trail parallel to local road" between villages. The trails are not built parallel to the roads for the most part, they are over hill and over dale through the forest. But there are a fair number of places where there is no "trail" at all. You are walking on the local road, on the shoulder. There are a few places where the road is windy, and the shoulders are very narrow. Fortunately, as has been pointed out, the new freeway has taken a lot of the traffic off these local roads, but there is still some.

Outside of the towns, the Francis has almost no walking on the shoulder of a road. The Norte has plenty.

Buen Camino

My old Harley was 800 pounds. My current commuter bicycle is 30 pounds. The Harley could hit 100 mph, while I'm lucky to go 15 mph on my bicycle. So, yes, it would make a difference.
For an unknown reason you are making a issue from a simple inquiry.
I don’t recall encountering any Harleys on the Francis and all the other responders understood my question relating to the numerous cyclists on the Francis.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For an unknown reason you are making a issue from a simple inquiry.
I don’t recall encountering any Harleys on the Francis and all the other responders understood my question relating to the numerous cyclists on the Francis.
Just answering your follow-up post. Peace, brother.

I finished the Norte 2 weeks ago. It was fabulous.
I did encounter a few push bikes, and had one really close call - walking a steep uphill section of a minor road, two bikes came down very fast and the lead one just missed me as it came screaming around a corner. There was no visibility (steep banks and hedges) and no verge. I wasn't wearing headphones, and I may have just heard something before it rounded the corner and stepped back a fraction. All over in a flash, biker and I were equally startled.

The bike route on the Norte tends to run parallel rather than on the walking trail. You'll see signs regularly that lead the bici pilgrims one way and the pied pilgrims in another. Particularly in the Basque country, the walking route is not suitable for bikes and, generally, the Norte is very steep for cyclists, meaning alternate routes are preferred or provided.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I rode the Norte in April/May 2017 and didn't see many walkers at all until the last 100km. When it was busy we just rode along the road to keep from having any conflict with big groups of walkers. When we did meet we stopped so often that we got to know many of those walking the route and it was very friendly. I know some do find it difficult to get along with each others pace, but if we all just stop occasionally and take pleasure in company of other perigrinos things work fine. This was in May, when over 1000 people a day where receiving their Compstellas.
It's a lovely route and often the Bicigrino route is on the road when the Camino goes along narrower paths where it would be difficult to pass each other.

@Jay Es, I wish all the bikers were as respectful and kind on the trails as you! Maybe there are more of "you" out there rolling on two wheels than I give credit to...most of my experiences with bikers have not left good memories. Thanks for the upbeat post!

I've walked the del Norte several times and only twice encountered cyclists trying to follow the footpaths. They did not have an easy time of it. I saw only a few bicycle pilgrims as their marked routes were generally apart. I would suggest to walking pilgrims that they follow the bicycle route into Orio, as the pedestrian path is on a very very rough mediaeval road and easily matches the miserable trail into Molinaseca.

Most of the pilgrim cyclists I met were individuals. On Sundays and Saturdays, you will often see small hordes of lycra-clad local recreational cyclists in their packs but they were on the highways, and cheerfully greeted pilgrims. I never had a problem with any of them on the del Norte or on the Primitivo, but I fear that I could not say that of the cyclists I saw on the Francese.

I encountered a pack of antique motorcyclists doing a rally on the Catalan, but they were no problem, and I chatted with some of them at one of their stops. No Harleys, but plenty of WWII and postwar military motorcycles-- with the fall of the Warsaw Pact, lots of eastern bloc motorbikes are on the market. No-one would mistake them for pilgrims, or consider them to be likely candidates for son-in-law.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the Norte we roomed one night in a monestary with a woman from Argentina who was a bicagrino with panniers. She left early the next morning, but we caught up with her an hour later as she struggled to drag her bike up a very steep, twisty, muddy section of the trail. My adult son had to take the bike from her and drag it a ways until she was able to take over again. She appeared to be a tiny lady in her mid 50's and I was surprised she wasn't taking roads.

I've walked the del Norte several times and only twice encountered cyclists trying to follow the footpaths. They did not have an easy time of it. I saw only a few bicycle pilgrims as their marked routes were generally apart. I would suggest to walking pilgrims that they follow the bicycle route into Orio, as the pedestrian path is on a very very rough mediaeval road and easily matches the miserable trail into Molinaseca.

Most of the pilgrim cyclists I met were individuals. On Sundays and Saturdays, you will often see small hordes of lycra-clad local recreational cyclists in their packs but they were on the highways, and cheerfully greeted pilgrims. I never had a problem with any of them on the del Norte or on the Primitivo, but I fear that I could not say that of the cyclists I saw on the Francese.

I encountered a pack of antique motorcyclists doing a rally on the Catalan, but they were no problem, and I chatted with some of them at one of their stops. No Harleys, but plenty of WWII and postwar military motorcycles-- with the fall of the Warsaw Pact, lots of eastern bloc motorbikes are on the market. No-one would mistake them for pilgrims, or consider them to be likely candidates for son-in-law.
Yes we had plenty of pushing bikes and rough trails, we often met the same walking pilgrims during the day as we went no further than they. But on the road sections it was faster by a long way. The trails through Galicia were particulary lovely

Attachments

• 2017_0508_21374500.jpg
    2017_0508_21374500.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 10
  • 2017_0503_22024900.jpg
    2017_0503_22024900.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG1143.jpg
    IMAG1143.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMAG1145.jpg
    IMAG1145.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2017_0509_22473600.jpg
    2017_0509_22473600.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2017_0510_00044900.jpg
    2017_0510_00044900.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 10
I think Bash On was making the point there is a difference between 'bikers' - people on motorbikes - and 'cyclists' on cycles. Cyclists may be pilgrims or may be local sporting cyclists or holiday tourers....
I would hope that pilgrim cyclists would be considerate for walking pilgrims when both are necessarily on the same road with no pathway. Sporting cyclists and motorbikes may not have any inkling that there is a 'walking path' or 'Camino' in the area and so greater care is needed. I cycled much of the route and found no problem between cycles and walkers - but it behoves any walker or cyclist to be vigilant on a shared use roadway...(personally I find British buses to be the worst offenders - but perhaps I have been unlucky...!)
Enjoy your Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.