Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Bikes on European Trains

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Year of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
This is a handy updated guide to the rules per country and service for taking Bikes on Trains in Europe

Britain, France, Spain and Portugal plus many other countries are cited

Great link!
Word of advice for those who want to take their bike on the train here in Belgium. Try to avoid peak hours when boarding a train ( 6.30 till 9 in the morning and 4.30 till 6.30 evening ). It will be too crowded seeing many regular commuters will take up space with their folding bikes.
In most of the intercity and interegion trains there are designated carriages where you can sit next to your bike to keep an eye on it.
If visiting a town I would advice though to park your bike at your accomodation or in a guarded parkinglot seeing the area around the trainstation is notorious for getting your bike stolen.

Belgium has great routes for cycling ( the Netherlands are champion of course when it comes to decent roads for cycling ! ) to Santiago. Especially the Via Monastica and before you know it you will have reached the border with France... ;)
There is also a list of people ( Flemish Confraternity of St James ) who will accomodate " Pilgrims on the bike ".

Last edited:

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Even now I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months. What a trip!
This might be an impertinent question, @mspath, but how old were you when you cycled London to Rome? Were you in company?

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
This might be an impertinent question, @mspath, but how old were you when you cycled London to Rome? Were you in company?
I was 20. It was my first trip to europe. Went with AYH, American Youth Hostels, for 2 months then with I other girl. Stayed in youth hostels.

Wore no helmet, simple clothes and used canvas paniers but after walking up the Alps the 80 k descent into Nice was great.

Most importantly I learned not only how to patch tyres but the importance of tenacity and the simple pleasure of following a dream to make it come true.
...Even then it was Ultreia.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
I hitch-hiked London to Rome in 1963. (Should you be curious, I was 18). The European youth hostels were wonderful in those days.

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
But back to the topic of your actual thread. It all sounds easy and convenient, but you need to be aware that there are only a few places for assembled bikes on French trains, and if they’re taken you have to wait for the next one.

Even now I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months. What a trip
I was 20. It was my first trip to europe. Went with AYH, American Youth Hostels, for 2 months then with I other girl. Stayed in youth hostels.

Wore no helmet, simple clothes and used canvas paniers but after walking up the Alps the 80 k descent into Nice was great.

Most importantly I learned not only how to patch tyres but the importance of tenacity and the simple pleasure of following a dream to make it come true.
...Even then it was Ultreia.
I'm unlikely to need your very useful link, and know this is not the point of the thread, but just to say... @mspath, you are an inspiration.
The image of someone pushing a 3-speed up those switchbacks? Oh, my.
Indeed - Ultreia in all things!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads