• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking and Albergues

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
I understand that some Albergues (maybe all give priority to walkers)? Has anyone who has biked the Camino had experience trying to use an Albergue being turned away until a all the walkers had checked in. If so can you relate that experience and how many times it happened. And was it easy to find alternative accomodation late in the day?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola - there was a post earlier on this part of the forum and the situation is as Mendi advised, only public/govt run albergues give preference to walkers. Usually cyclists will be admitted after 4.00 PM and of course ALL privately run albergues will take all pilgrims (for a fee!!). If you are starting out after the end of August or say mid-Sept there should be less demand for accommodation. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You may wish to investigate the Bike-Line Service for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE cyclist friendly. See >> http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ For example one such albergue where I stayed late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for pilgrims and cyclists. They have created this comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. See >> http://www.peregrinando.org/.

Buen Camino!

I was never told to come back until after walkers arrived. In several albergues where it filled up to capacity we were still not asked or told to leave, but we did offer to sleep outside in our tent if needed. At another where it got really busy no mention was made of walkers v cyclists, but staff made plans to get mattresses to put on the floor once beds were full. Personally I think normal rules of politeness apply - I would give up my bunk to an older person than myself, or someone who was ill/exhausted or a child.

To me a bici are same as a pie - I go by foot but have met some very nice cyclists.
Probably best group of cyclists I have met were on the VDLP from Entroncamento Portugal

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You may wish to investigate the Bike-Line Service for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE cyclist friendly. See >> http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ For example one such albergue where I stayed late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for pilgrims and cyclists. They have created this comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. See >> http://www.peregrinando.org/.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for that info.
A couple of ? The list of abbreviations in the list is somewhat incomplete, I can see that M = municipal and P =private but what is Par, A and X mean?
There are a couple of Auberges at Viloria de Rioja which one did you stay at.

Also the ones at Acacio and Orietta do not seem to be listed?

I see that you have biked it a few times, can you give an indication of when and where you went off the pilgrims route?

LVDWD,

I have only walked the CF but never biked it. In that Bike-Line list Par. A probabably means a parish albergue and X means closed. Acacio and Orietto are the joint owners/hospitaleros of their Refugio in VdR. Click the closing link in my above post to find more abòut that spot.

MM

Last edited:
LVDWD,

I have only walked the CF but never biked it. In that Bike-Line list Par. A probabably means a parish albergue and X means closed. Acacio and Orietto are the joint owners/hospitaleros of their Refugio in VdR. Click the closing link in my above post to find more abòut that spot.

MM
Thanks not sure what you mean re the closing list

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We cycled last year - end of August/beginning September. We weren't ever turned away from an albergue - municipal or private - and certainly always arrived long before many walkers. All were helpful in finding places for us to secure our bikes too.

From the Pilgrim Office website on the Credencial; there may be restrictions for bicyclists:
  • Albergues provide simple accommodation. They do not receive grants for their upkeep and need to be sustained, cleaned and maintained. This is achieved through the contributions of pilgrims.
  • Organised groups with a support vehicle or on bicycles are asked to find alternative accommodation from the pilgrim albergues.
  • The bearer of the Credencial accepts these conditions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From the Pilgrim Office website on the Credencial; there may be restrictions for bicyclists:
  • Albergues provide simple accommodation. They do not receive grants for their upkeep and need to be sustained, cleaned and maintained. This is achieved through the contributions of pilgrims.
  • Organised groups with a support vehicle or on bicycles are asked to find alternative accommodation from the pilgrim albergues.
  • The bearer of the Credencial accepts these conditions.

Though that specifies organised groups.

Though that specifies organised groups.
I think you are parsing it incorrectly. It is an English translation. Try the original Spanish.

Regardless, it is a restriction on bicyclists, and many albergues will not admit bicyclists until after 4 p.m. or 6 p.m. in the high season. I have witnessed them turned away a dozen times.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back