• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking Camino del Norte at Christmas - possible?

maritameter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (sept 2015)
I will walk Camino Frances this september (starting the 3rd from SJPP) - and I am already thinking about my next camino. I can take 14-19 days off this Christmas, and was thinking.. maybe I can cycle the north route? I am single and have no kids and because of issues in my life I don't want to celebrate christmas this year either. So why don't do something good for myself - like travelling.

But. Questions.

1. Will it be too cold? Is it snow along the route in winter?
2. Are the albergues closed? Will I have to plan a schedule and book stays in hotels?
3. How many people are doing this camino around christmas?
4. Am I crazy and a dreamer? ;-)
5. My starting date will possibly be 16th of december and go to the 2nd of January - that's 17 days of biking. Is that enough?
6. Will the booking be a huge problem because of Christmas?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @maritameter . 1. You will probably find this site of most use for assessing likely weather conditions http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/comunidades?k=nav&w=22, but on the Biscay coast in winter expect rain, lots of rain and plenty of strong wind. 2. This site will provide details of Albergues and other accommodation that is likely to be open at that time of year http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte. 3. A few. 4. Probably, this should not be a cause for concern ;). 5. 823k in 17 days? You will know your own capabilities. 6. Most family run establishments will be closed for the Holy days, finding somewhere for 24-26 December will be your biggest challenge.

Buen camino

Seems little ambitious to me as well. I have lived along the northern coast. Like Tincatinker above stated, It rains pretty much almost every day. Strong winds, and very cold because of the humidity. It doesn't snow.. usually, but you can expect friggin cold mornings. Not to mention not many hours of daylight in the winter. If you want to have an enjoyable camino/holiday, I would shoot for a warmer month.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking at cycling from Seville to Salamanca during that same time period. Via de la Plata in the south of Spain seems a much better bet, weather-wise. Flatter and a shorter route, too. There's more than one way to Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back