• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking CF - Sept 2018: Gear List

alvaroe16

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
I am ready! I have read this forum up and down (including wonderful posts from Jenny and Mark). Planned my route. Pack my bags. Unpacked. Removed gear. Pack again. Repeat. etc.
At this point I think I have it down to about 10Kg divided in 2 panniers of 20L each. Hence, I wanted to pick your brain and see if that is still too much gear? or am I missing something?
I am going in September 2018 so I am trying to figure out how cold the mornings or evenings will be. I heard that if they kick you out of the Albergues at 8AM... it might be cold and dark.

Cycling Clothes:
(2) Bib Shorts
(2) Cycling Jerseys
(3) Pair of Socks
(1) Cycling Shoes
(1) Helmet
(1) Pair of Gloves
(1) Set of Sleeves (for sun or cold mornings)
(1) Sunglasses

After Riding/Additional Clothes:
(3) T Shirts
(2) Shorts (can also be used over the bibs)
(1) Long Pants (Hiking Pant)
(1) Rain Jacket
(1) Ultra Light Down Jacket (in case it gets cold at night?)
(3) Underwear
(1) Flip Flops
(1) Super Light Walking Shoes
(1) Buff

Gear:
(1) Silk Liner
(1) Inflatable Pillow
(1) Towel
(1) Sink Drain Stopper
(1) Washing Detergent/Bodywash
(1) Sunscreen
(2) Flexible Waterbottles
(1) Spare Tube
(1) First Aid Kit
(2) 20L Waterproof Bags (everything fits in these and then these go in the Panniers)

Electronics:
(1) Garmin Computer
(1) Headlight
(1) Tail light
(1) Go Pro Camera + Batteries (I plan to document the whole trip so this is a most - I will share when I get back :) )
(1) Powerbank
(1) Portable backup harddrive
(1) Charging block (USBs for everything)

Like I said, I am not sure if this is too much or too little. It all weights about 10Kg (22lbs).
Any advice will be greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!
Alvaro

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hello Alvaroe16 .....Inflatable pillow is not needed , but a sleeping bag is a good idea and a bike lock is a must .

I always take a small puncture repair kit with tyre levers and a suction type hook for hanging things in the shower ( towel/clothes/small bag with valuables ) .

Hope you enjoy your ride .

Last edited:
I rode last September and saw some mornings about 5 degrees, especially in Galicia. I wore all my clothes, except my down jacket, and peeled layers, often down to shorts by the afternoon. Fortunately, I didn’t have a day of rain because I only carried a thin rain shell and a thin wool shirt. I found having both a wind jacket and a wind vest to be a useful combination.

I only carried a phone with a French SIM card, but that sufficed for navigation and all my electronics needs. With charging every night in the albergues, I never used my battery pack and gave mine away to a pilgrim who was leaving the trail.

I’d also pass on the inflatable pillow. I also never rode at night and would bring only the smallest LED flashers to be seen in the rare event that you’d be on the road then. Evenings are a good time for strolling in Spanish villages, and I was always glad to put away my bike.

You didn’t list any tools or a pump. I’d recommend a patch kit, tire levers, a multi-tool, and a pump that will get your tire pressure to a rideable condition. Bike shops are fairly rare, and you will inevitably need them when they are closed. Gas stations with air pumps are also not common. Go for fairly durable tires, say Schwalbe Marathon, over ones that are faster, even if you’re avoiding trail riding.

Good luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go for it mate ! The walkers will insist you bring a bell and I missed having a mirror so I could see approaching rear traffic. I found it difficult looking over my shoulder all the time for traffic with loaded paniers and sometimes I would accidently veer onto and off the road when I was tired with a loaded bike. Both a bell and mirror would be worthwhile. My coldest morning out of Fonfria was dark at 7.30am wearing bike shorts, t shirt, fleece and gortex shell and I was fine after a couple of km. My warmest afternoon was probably at Cruz de Ferro in shorts and t shirt. Expect 4 seasons in a day !

Great feedback! Thank you guys!

I always take a small puncture repair kit with tyre levers and a suction type hook for hanging things in the shower

I had read about bringing a hook of some sort. I will definitely add this to the packing list.

You didn’t list any tools or a pump. I’d recommend a patch kit, tire levers, a multi-tool, and a pump that will get your tire pressure to a rideable condition.

I should have mentioned these. The bike I am renting from "Bicigrino" comes with these tools. In addition i am stopping in Decathlon in Madrid to buy CO2 cartridges, a good loud bell and now a mirror.

I rode last September and saw some mornings about 5 degrees, especially in Galicia.
My coldest morning out of Fonfria was dark at 7.30am wearing bike shorts, t shirt, fleece and gortex shell and I was fine after a couple of km. My warmest afternoon was probably at Cruz de Ferro in shorts and t shirt. Expect 4 seasons in a day !

5 degrees is pretty cold. I do think layering up is the way to go. I now wonder if a Silk Liner is the right sleeping arrangement or if I should bring a sleeping bag of some sort as mentioned also by Jony Jony. Albergues are warm? too warm? Too cold? it depends? haha

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Don’t forget to bring or buy chain lube. I also suggest cable ties and duct tape: they’re probably a cyclist’s most useful and versatile accessories for roadside repairs. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alvaroe16........a .good nights sleep is one of the more important and precious things on the camino and often not that easy to achieve ( snorers , early risers , rattling plastic bags etc etc ) add being cool or even cold to this and you may wish you had at least a cosy warm sleeping bag to enhance your possibilities of having a decent sleep . As they say ,it is better to have and not need than to need and not have .
I am certain that in September/ October no auberge will be heated no matter what the temperature is outside .

My advice would be to ditch the silk liner and buy a 2 seasons sleeping bag ....and one with a hood in which to bury your head to cut down on noise from the inevitable snorers that you will encounter .

AHH yes as Paladina has said ( and reminded me to pack for my VdlP in a couple of weeks .....thanks Paladina )...a couple of feet of gaffer tape wound round a pencil or the like and cable ties

Last edited:
definitely needed: some chain oil, and a small rag to clean the chain. I didn't have one last year, and the dust was grinding the chain every 3-4 days. Had to borrow oil from another biker twice.

Albergues at 8AM - you’ll be lucky! I suspect everyone will be long gone by then and you’ll have been awake for hours.

I wouldn’t worry too much about what you take - if you take too much you can post it home. Having said that you have 2 cycling jerseys and 3 t-shirts is quite a lot. You can always get a souvenir kind of t-shirt when you are there if you need another.

Ultra Light Down Jacket (in case it gets cold at night?) - yes if not taking sleeping bag - although I would take sleeping bag myself. Totally agree with jony jony. Pick one up in Decathlon, you don’t need anything fancy.

Personal thing but for me a scarf (or a buff) is an essential.

Does the bike hire place not give you lights too?

Some kind of anti-chafing balm….

Have a great trip!

Helen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be doing the same (for the first time), around the same time... If 5 degrees is possible, you might consider some lightly insulated cycling tights as well?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back