• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking Coastal Route

Joyus

Time of past OR future Camino
Upcoming Camino September 2015 (Camino Portugues - coatsal)
Has anyone recently biked the Coastal Rout in Portugal? I am set to do it in September with 3 others and can find little info on the conditions for biking this route. I am interested in the path and if it is necessary to go off the path and use roadways in places and if so, are they in dangerous traffic areas? I plan to start in Lisbon. Any info would be amazing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, you are correct. It was difficult to find cycling information in one consolidated place. We are cycling the Camino Portuguese using a combination of GPS-x files, google maps and info we've gleaned from several blogs. We will be heading coastal in a few days. Will try to take a few notes to pass onto you later.

There are roads from Porto as far as Vigo and Redondela where you can bike.
The only thing is. If you intend to cross the Minho river between Caminha and A Guarda you have to find out if the ferry is sailing. Alternative is 25 km detour via Vila Nova de Cedreira.
Going out of A Guarda there are some kms on an off road trail but maybe better you follow the main road from A Guarda to Santa Maria de Oia and after some kms you will join the way marked caminho again.

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And from Redondela you are on the way marked central route and we have seen many bikers there.

Sorry, this is looonngg.

I have biked different parts of the coastal route covering the section between Porto and Vila Praia de Âncora. So its to this section my advice applies.
If you mean mountain biking, except for short sections, the terrain is always is ridable. To me, these were never an annoyance I'd want to avoid, I'd rather stick to the route.
I do recommend using a backpack rather than paniers. It makes the bike more cumbersome to maneuver on and off the bike.

If you're riding a road bike, many sections become harder or impossible to cycle. Even many road sections, which being roughly paved can really hammer your arms, backside and bike.

As to the route itself, there are indeed conflicting indications, even in the Via Veteris site.
There is waymarking through the city of Porto, but I recommend leaving along the river to the sea. Keep close to the sea and go north. Trafic can be heavy but generally slow since is kind of a promenade route. There are frequent broad sidewalks you can use as well. Near the refinery north of Matosinhos, the boardwalks start, and you can go on those for most of the way up to Vila do Conde. On the bits of road you may use traffic isn't too bad since their secondary roads. There is also, a bit of cycle lane in Perafita and Lavra. There is a bit near Labruje with a few minutes detour in-land and some stairs, these are the only obstacles.
There are waymarking that take you paralel to the airport (between the central route and the sea). From what I've seen, its minor paved roads.

In Vila do Conde, I suggest turning left at the bridge and following the river to the sea, beautiful part of town, and when you hit the sea, there is a cycle lane next to the fort which takes you up to the north end of Póvoa do Varzim. I've seen gps files which take you through the middle of these towns, I don't recommend it, too many intercessions, even if traffic isn't heavy, its less safe and a nuisance.
After the cycle lane in Póvoa, keep hugging the shore and there are more quite roads and boardwalks paralel to the sea. These take you up to Aguçadoura where the waymarking pops-up again.

Following the arrows you enter Apúlia. The camino here is mostly on compacted sand, very good to ride on. Up to now MTB or road bike with skynier tyres (1.5 or similar) would both cope well, but now the terrain will become more challenging.
You can continuing hugging the coast, but it takes through more paved roads than the waymarked camino. North of the Cávado river (you cross it in Fão) the arrows take you along paved roads, not badly paved, but still not the best. As it nears the Neiva river, the camino goes along a lovely single track paralel to it, you'll have to dismount here.
After crossing the river, on the waymarked path to Viana do Castelo, there is a forest with some sections which might require walking, but most of it is small roads, some with bone shattering pavé.
An alternative here: I have seen pilgrims on foot and on heavily laden bikes taking the EN13-3 road instead of the following the arrows to Viana. There is less climbing and its a tarmacked surface, but traffic can be quite fast and the road shoulder small on non-existent.
In Viana, the Camino takes you through the town and exits close to the hills. Its good, a bit less so as you exit the town. Exiting the town and just north in Areosa almost all its small roads tarmacked and paved. After this in Carreço it crosses the rail road on a level crossing, be careful.
Alternatively you can follow the river after crossing into Viana, also very lovely views of the city. Go around, north of the shipyards, take the N13 and after a roundabout you'll find a walking/cycling lane paralel to it all the way to Carreço.
The waymarked path takes into the hills in Carreço and Afife, with more all-terrain riding. Some beautiful bits, but can be challenging. Some walking may be required. Only time I lost sight of the arrows was on a forest road going down towards Vila Praia de Ancôra (too distracted enjoying the descent).
The far easier option is to take the N13 northwards, its straightforward. It is the main thoroughfare on the coast, and especially in the Summer has a lot of traffic, but there is a good shoulder on the road, so I'd say its fairly safe.

If you have any queries about this section of the Camino, I'd be happy to try and answer.

I am also having difficulties finding biking info about this. There is a blog of 2 people who did it which is quite helpful and I bought an app with the route so far.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are many reports on a mtbiking forum I use, however these a normally short on data about the route, more how things went and felt.

Here are two links of fellow Portuguese Mtb bikers, you can use google to translate.
This is a trip report for Porto_Santiago which shows well some of the spots I mention as well as giving an idea of the terrain, check the videos.
Part1, part2.
And this has many fotos for the section Vilar do Pinheiro - Santiago.

www.caminador.es has the portuguese routes including the coastal, with detailed maps and alternatives. Check this pdf.

Has anyone recently biked the Coastal Rout in Portugal? I am set to do it in September with 3 others and can find little info on the conditions for biking this route. I am interested in the path and if it is necessary to go off the path and use roadways in places and if so, are they in dangerous traffic areas? I plan to start in Lisbon. Any info would be amazing!
Hi Joyus,
Try contacting Tania at Bike Iberia in Lisbon, she is a mine of information.
We cycled the inland route last year, here is our blog

http://portugalcaminobike.blogspot.com.au/

We were really pleased by all the help and advice from the team at Bike Iberia, they have customers riding all the different routes each year.

Cheers
Gerry & Heather

I am looking for a bicycle shop in Bilbao to hire a bicycle which I can leave in Santiago after 7 days. Decent quality touring or gravel bike with pannier rack if possible. Any advice on a good Bilbao bike shop?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back