• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking el Camino from Leon to Santiago starting 8/2

laguirre

Hola!
I along with other 3 fellow pilgrims from Mexico, the USA and the UK will be starting el camino via bike on 8/2 - hoping to arrive by 8/7. Currently in Andalusia visiting friends.

Very excited about it, especially since it's been a strange journey to get this far! Been planning this for 13 months and won't believe its real until I'm on the bike and see my first route marker!

My question, especially for those currently on the camino, is: (1) how "busy" is the route? I heard this is the busiest time of the year, and my companions and I are worried that 4 cyclists will be worrisome for hikers, so we're trying to decide if we should split in 2 spaced groups. (2) Are there alberges or pensiones that are more welcoming of cyclist peregrines? And (3) any recommendations people might have besides having a bell on one's bike to warn walkers of our approach?

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, the route is busy, especially the last 100 km from Sarria to Santiago. You definitely will not be the only cyclists! Use of your bells will be greatly appreciated by the hikers. Be aware that for most of the route, there are roads that parallel the hiking trail, which in many cases are only a few meters from the trail. These roads may be more suitable for cyclists, especially if the hiking trail is a single track. I have observed that many cyclists on the Camino seem to be a in a great hurry to cover as many km per day as possible, and that their speed is what causes most of the complaints by hikers. If possible, you may want to consider allowing yourself more than just five days to cover the 320 km from Leon to Santiago, letting yourself slow down and enjoy the scenery and perhaps interact more with the hikers you pass.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Yepp, if you're in a hurry, use the roads! If you use the bell, the hikers will be happy! But - don't be angry if they don't step aside, many of us are deeep in our thoughts! Ultreia!
Buen camino! Pax et Bonum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our stops between Leon and Santiago were Rabanal, Villafranca, Sarria and Melide so 5 days cycling. As Jim says the minor roads are often only a few metres from the walking trails and especially in the mountains above Rabanal and around O Cebreiro it is wise to stick to them unless you are very experienced mountain bikers as these can be single track and you will be cycling at walking pace or even walking yourselves.

It will be busy at the time you are cycling and cyclists do not get priority at the albergues though if you stop at the small villages between the usual stops you may have better luck. By staying in the towns like Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Villafranca, Sarria, Portomarin, Melid, Arzua etc you will have more to see and do in the evening and a better chance of finding a hotel or pension if you need to.

Do not worry about splitting up for the hikers just be considerate (and not too fast) but you may find you have different speeds yourselves and some may prefer the road in certain section so splitting may be something that happens naturally.

Thank you for all the great advice! Will do about trying to stick to rural roads, specially around O'Cebrerio. I'm still recovering from a mild concussion injury, and don't feel prepare for any single track.

We don't plan to go fast, more about meandering & enjoying the sights; history; culture; and architecture (I work as an architect). Currently we are planing 20km-40km max. a day. We also plan to see Finisterre at the end.

And yes about being social & meeting hikers along the way! I think that's one of the allures for the trip.

Anything else?

Buen Camino!

ALSO... do I really need to call ahead for an alberge to make a reservation? Or just line-up outside? Seems like there's different kinds.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
ALSO... do I really need to call ahead for an alberge to make a reservation? Or just line-up outside? Seems like there's different kinds.
laguirre,

You can reserve in private albergues but not in municipal ones.

Be sure to check out the BikeLine site; they provide a list of albergues which are especially bicycle friendly and do accept reservations.

Since you are an architect you may be interested in my personal inventory of monasteries along the CF which accept pilgrims. Amongst these are successful and poor examples of architectural adaptive re-use, retro fitting and contemporary additions. Much to view and ponder. For location info and basic photos see the Eroski site Etapas and albergues . For more personal comments and /or photos see each location as cited in my Camino Gazetteer. For more info on Benedictine monasteries see here.

Roncevalles, three albergues; the new, the old and the winter, in monastery structures
Trinidad de Arre, in a monastery garden
Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Nuestra Sra. de la Anunciacion, in monastery
Carrion de los Condes, monasterio de Santa Clara, in monastery wing
Carrion de los Condes, albergue Espiritu Santo, in monastery wing
Sahagun, albergue de las Madres Benedictinas, in monastery
Leon, albergue del monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas), in monastery
Carracedo del Monasterio, albergue, in monastery grounds
Samos, Albergue del Monasterio de Samos, in monastery wing
Sarria, albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena, in monastery wing

Two other monasteries which are not listed on the Eroski cited cite above are
Rabanal del Camino, San Salvador de Monte Irago monastery at this site
and north of Melide, Sobrado dos Monxes, Santa Maria do Sobrado monastery at this site

Happy pedaling and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
For an architect or civil engineer Portomarin is a town moved and rebuilt following the flooding of a valley in order to build a reservoir. The church was moved stone by stone if I recall correctly.

One of Gaudi's more curious projects is in Astorga and well worth a visit as is the cathedral there. The pallozas of O Cebreiro are interesting.

I will not mention the buildings in Leon or Santiago of which there are many of architectural significance.

Cycled Leon to Santiago in May this year over 6 days, make sure you get a good bike, between Leon and Sarria not busy but from Sarria on gets very busy. Took some roads, mainly around OCerbrio, that day from Ponferrada was the most difficult, 54km took me nearly 7 hours with only one short stop but was worth it, stayed on the road the next day to Sarria which was an easy day and the 75 km to Melide next day was grand. Bells n call out to walkers. Very social from Sarria, I did not stop enough to interact which was my pity, more intent on getting to next stop, lots of beautiful places to stay outside the big towns. You will all have a great time. Most of the walkers start early n finish early while the cyclists started a bit later n then road was quiter..just an idea, I stayed in hotels n booked ahead so was not under pressure to get in by a particular time, not too dear, enjoy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you everyone for your comments! We finished the ride yesterday and are now in Santiago de Compostela, with compostela in-hand. The experience was just so much more than I ever imagined...

We did-stop plenty of times, and did-get to see places and talk to people along the way. Everyone was so nice (for the most part).

Buen camino to everyone, for I know that this isn't the end yet, but was just the beginning.

Best,
Lucia

Hola laguirre - so how did it go?? You should have made it to SDC and now be on your way home (or onward to more adventures). Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back