• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

biking el Norte

susiekerr

Time of past OR future Camino
camino el norte
This is a tricky question to ask, much less find an answer to: I am hoping to set off in about 6 weeks with a friend to cycle el Camino del Norte, including a cut down el Primitivo to el Frances. I am a seasoned cyclist, and Spain is my second home, but I have not walked or cycled this route. As we get closer to committing (yes, you are picking up the vibe) I see that my friend has not really toured, even though she says she has, has never used a toe clip nor really understands their function, and is definitely not a city biker (traffic rider). In addition, she has packed on some weight, has a bit of chronic knee pain and has some cycling "gait" issues that disturb me. We have not even talked about riding in traffic, something I anticipate we'll be needing to do in cities, starting with Madrid, where we'll set up. I already find that she doesn't really know which bike to buy, but plans to learn (quickly). Just writing this out is helping me think this through. My question, then, would be: Should a fast city biker, an assertive city biker, and a seasoned tourer (me) consider a trip like el Camino with someone who has never toured (she rides what I call a baguette bike--a one speed upright cruiser-- a few miles a day. She is strong, eager and easygoing, might force herself to push through, and would make great company, but I don't expect to lack for that. No tickets have been bought--- shall I go sola?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow! I usually have an opinion on cycling.. You are on your own on this one.

I will say that the most popular bike tour in the world is along The Danube in Germany. It is a bona fide Pilgerweg, and might be a more appropriate first tour.

how much are you willing to "give"?
the answer to that question might determine your answer

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I sense that you do not want to accommodate the less accomplished biker. Any camino travel partner is a millstone of some weight. You will not enjoy having one that is too heavy!

Thank you so much for the short, concise answers! Every comment has been helpful. I want to save the friendship, as you can tell. Maybe next year. I keep saying to myself, remember, you are going to see Spain, not to worry about your friend. Thanks for the "ear." This site is awesome! I can't wait to see Spain again.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.