• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking from Belgium

BelToSdCByBike

Time of past OR future Camino
interest in biking from Belgium
Hello All,

My name is Sven and I am interested in biking the route from Belgium to Santiago. There are no concrete plans yet, but I'm in the process of gathering all kinds of information about routes, practical stuff and also transportation/parking, the journey back...

One big question remaining for me is: how to get back with my bike and gear to Belgium when I reach SdC? One of the idea's I have is to drive by car to SdC, look for a safe long-term parking, get the plane back to Belgium and then start my trip.

When reaching SdC, I have my car available to drive back with my bike and all my gear to Belgium.

Any idea's on this?

have nice day!

Sven

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All I can say is Buen Camino! Others will have ideas for you...

I will be flying into Bordeaux with my bike in an Evoc bike bag, the best on the market. My intention is to collapse the bag and forward it by DHL or similar to Ivar in Santiago. Pack up and fly from there. Another option is to arrange for a bike shop in Santiago to box the bike for you. I know that a few forum members have done this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Sven. There are several companies that arrange transportation of bikes from Santiago to Belgium. You can find some more information about this on the website of the Vlaams Genootschap:

I have heard good stories about this company and also have some experience with them (not bike related, but I was loading a van with stuff that they brought to an albergue in Spain - run by friends). Reallly nice and committed people. They transport your bike back home, while you can take the train or bus.

Last edited:
Two solutions: Cycle back or go by train. For the train you will need a bike bag/box which I believe are available in SdC, to cycle back, just you legs and time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We sent a bike from Santiago to Paris. Correos were very helpful. I cant remember who supplied the box. We did have to carry it through Santiago in the box through very busy pedestrian streets which was a slight challenge.

Box the bike, and take the train or fly.
There's a morning train from Santiago direct to Irun/Hendaye. It arrives in the evening, so you'd need to spend the night, then proceed back to Belgium the next day.

Lots of options about route. I just walked from Den Bosch to Givet on the Via Monastica, and the part from Scherpenheuvel to a bit past Dinant would be bliss on a bike. Less so after the French border. But the way you go depends in large part on how you want to get across France and into Spain.

Accommodations were challenging. If you haven't already, join both the Amis de Compostelle and Vrienden op de Fiets, because people in both these groups can host you in their homes. Such beautiful generosity, and a lifesaver.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the past I did a lot of bike rides, even on steep terrain: I did 3 times Ventoux (3 sides), Peyresourde, Soulor, Galibier (both sides), Croix de Fer (3 sides), Col de la Madeleine, Col de Sarenne (both sides), Les Deux Alpes, Mortirolo, Col du Sabot, Col du Soulor, Alpe d'Huez, Col d'Ornon, Col de l'Aspin, Col de Marie-Blanque, Col du Pourtalet, Col d'Eaux-Bonnes, Alto de Hazallanas, Col de Notre Dame des Abeilles, Col du Glandon, Col du Tourmalet, Col du Mollard, Pico Veleta, Passo Stelvio (Both sides), Gavia ...

So I think I do know what climbing is :) I am not scared of steep climbs. Bring it on!

In the past I did a lot of bike rides, even on steep terrain: I did 3 times Ventoux (3 sides), Peyresourde, Soulor, Galibier (both sides), Croix de Fer (3 sides), Col de la Madeleine, Col de Sarenne (both sides), Les Deux Alpes, Mortirolo, Col du Sabot, Col du Soulor, Alpe d'Huez, Col d'Ornon, Col de l'Aspin, Col de Marie-Blanque, Col du Pourtalet, Col d'Eaux-Bonnes, Alto de Hazallanas, Col de Notre Dame des Abeilles, Col du Glandon, Col du Tourmalet, Col du Mollard, Pico Veleta, Passo Stelvio (Both sides), Gavia ...

So I think I do know what climbing is :) I am not scared of steep climbs. Bring it on!

And of course do not forget the Muur van Geraardsbergen...😃

Cheers from a fellow Belgian!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.