• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking from Burgos to Leon: A Time-Saving Adventure

Suetufts

Time of past OR future Camino
Future camino
Hello, I'm trying to save some time and I thought that biking between Burgos to Leon might help. I heard it was the flattest part of the Camino France. Can you rent bicycles in Burgos and return them to Leon? How many kilometres is reasonable for a non biker to expect to travel. I bicycle on vacations but not often.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Biking the Burgos to Leon section would be an excellent choice. You are correct that it is the flattest section of the CF and one that is perfectly suited for the less experienced cyclist. The easiest way to arrange a bike for this journey is to use a company that will deliver your bike to your Burgos hotel and recover it from a hotel or other location in Leon. I’d suggest that you look at what companies like Bikeiberia or Cycling Rentals offer. If I were walking the Burgos-Leon section, I’d take 8 days, However, on a bike, and due to the general flatness of this part of the CF, I’d probably ride it in three days maybe four. Just because you’re cycling doesn’t mean that you have to speed through this part of the CF. Take your time. Enjoy the small towns and scenery stopping regularly as you pedal through this beautiful countryside. A mistake I made cycling the VDLP was that I went too fast (3 typical walking stages a day). Too much of that Camino is now a blurr.

Hello, I'm trying to save some time and I thought that biking between Burgos to Leon might help. I heard it was the flattest part of the Camino France. Can you rent bicycles in Burgos and return them to Leon? How many kilometres is reasonable for a non biker to expect to travel. I bicycle on vacations but not often.
Biking the Burgos to Leon section would be an excellent choice. You are correct that it is the flattest section of the CF and one that is perfectly suited for the less experienced cyclist. The easiest way to arrange a bike for this journey is to use a company that will deliver your bike to your Burgos hotel and recover it from a hotel or other location in Leon. I’d suggest that you look at what companies like Bikeiberia or Cycling Rentals offer. If I were walking the Burgos-Leon section, I’d take 8 days, However, on a bike, and due to the general flatness of this part of the CF, I’d probably ride it in three days maybe four. Just because you’re cycling doesn’t mean that you have to speed through this part of the CF. Take your time. Enjoy the small towns and scenery stopping regularly as you pedal through this beautiful countryside. A mistake I made cycling the VDLP was that I went too fast (3 typical walking stages a day). Too much of that Camino is now a blurr.
Thank you for your response. We are attempting to complete the Camino in 25 days as we only have 4 weeks then we all have to be back in Canada. So, we may have to rush a bit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You haven’t told us where you plan to start, or the time of year. If St Jean, then cycling Burgos-Leon will not save you enough time. Logroṉo to Astorga might. At a reasonable pace you might aim for 70km per day if you mix in road riding - remember that you are riding a loaded bike. But as @Grousedoctor pointed out, longer rides will certainty detract from the experience.

I agree with Grouse Doctor. Start in Burgos. That's really the best, practical starting point for a 25 day hiking trip. Just try to have some time to spend in Burgos when you arrive. It is fabulous. At least allow time to go into the cathedral and short walk around/eat.

If you are short of time, Burgos to Leon, is 114 miles out of 500. You'll save 4 days* at 70km/day. It could be 5 but as you'll likely be on the shared path rather than road, you'll have to reduce your pace.

Or you could go on Eurovelo 3 called "the Pilgrim Route"

The gradient on that section is 4400 ft over the 114 miles which is pretty flat so you shouldn't have to get off the bike at all apart for the foot traffic.

As @Grousedoctor says at #2, bike rental is well developed in Spain where the rental companies will deliver and collect. So a 3/5 day rental with Bike Iberia for example starts at €185 which is offset by the overnight costs you'll be saving.

*Gronze says Burgos to Leon is 8 days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As someone who biked from my front door and back I'll offer my thoughts.

I bicycle on vacations but not often

How well have you thought about this?
There's more to cycling in a foreign country, carrying all your gear than you might have experienced on your vacations.
How will you carry your gear? (You may be able to have it shipped daily).
Will you stay exclusively on the road or are you able for some of the Camino rurales?
How are you for basic bike maintenance such as punctures?
You do realise that you will "lose" whatever contacts/relationships, the "Camino family" as soon as you ride off into the sunset? And then will be starting from scratch further along the road?
The body is used differently walking and biking. Long days (for you) on a poorly set up bike (cyclists pay as much attention to saddle and set up as hikers do to footwear) may impact on your walking when you resume. Or vice versa.

I say all that not to put you off (exploring new places on a bike is a fabulous way to travel).

But this worries me...
Hello, I'm trying to save some time

I think you should be riding your bike because you want to - not because you have to.

We are attempting to complete the Camino in 25 days
I think this is the crux of your issue.
I'd urge you to consider alternatives such as where you start, how you travel. Or, indeed, where you finish.

It took me 15/16 days SJDPP - Santiago, on a bike (very slow) and I wish I had done it slower.

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance and Santiago is a goal then perhaps start closer. If not, perhaps consider this as "stage 1" and go as far as you can or wish and return at another time.
Or else do the whole thing on a bike and get to see and explore so much more than you would have on foot. Or just have the time to stop and appreciate the roses (or vino tinto! :))

Whatever you choose I'd suggest in taming the big clock that is ticking over your head.

Good luck!

Just a request from a walking pilgrim: Make sure your bike has a bell and use it vigorously when approaching walking pilgrims from behind. Some of us oldsters don't hear so well and your speed is deceiving. But do enjoy the Meseta. It's delightful. Buen Camino
That is good advice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the great information. So you say 8 days so what stops did you take between Burgos and Leon?

You haven’t told us where you plan to start, or the time of year. If St Jean, then cycling Burgos-Leon will not save you enough time. Logroṉo to Astorga might. At a reasonable pace you might aim for 70km per day if you mix in road riding - remember that you are riding a loaded bike. But as @Grousedoctor pointed out, longer rides will certainty detract from the experience.

We at starting at st. Jean De Port on September 17 and ending Oct. 10 which makes 24 days on the road. Is that possible if we cram 8 days into 3 days of cycling?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

There's more to cycling in a foreign country, carrying all your gear than you might have experienced on your vacations.
Will you stay exclusively on the road or are you able for some of the Camino rurales?
You do realise that you will "lose" whatever contacts/relationships, the "Camino family" as soon as you ride off into the sunset? And then will be starting from scratch further along the road?
The body is used differently walking and biking. Long days (for you) on a poorly set up bike (cyclists pay as much attention to saddle and set up as hikers do to footwear) may impact on your walking when you resume. Or vice versa.

I say all that not to put you off (exploring new places on a bike is a fabulous way to travel).

But this worries me...

I think you should be riding your bike because you want to - not because you have to.

I'd urge you to consider alternatives such as where you start, how you travel. Or, indeed, where you finish.

It took me 15/16 days SJDPP - Santiago, on a bike (very slow) and I wish I had done it slower.

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance and Santiago is a goal then perhaps start closer. If not, perhaps consider this as "stage 1" and go as far as you can or wish and return at another time.
Or else do the whole thing on a bike and get to see and explore so much more than you would have on foot. Or just have the time to stop and appreciate the roses (or vino tinto! :))

Whatever you choose I'd suggest in taming the big clock that is ticking over your head.

Good luck!
Thank you! We are just in the planning stage so I appreciate your thoughts!

We at starting at st. Jean De Port on September 17 and ending Oct. 10 which makes 24 days on the road. Is that possible if we cram 8 days into 3 days of cycling?
I have been using a guide book and it seems that most pilgrims walk around 20 kl each day and if that is the case it would take 28 days to complete with the three days of bikes. Would any one care to comment? Would 25 kl be too much each day?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When walking the CF with my father last year, he unfortunately had an Achilles problem and had to have some days without walking/walking shorter days. So we therefore decided to cycle a portion and we rented bikes from Burgos to Astorga, we took it steady to help the foot heal doing around 45km per day for 5 days. This would have been 11 days walking so it saves you 6 days! The Camino follows mostly along the side of the road, so you can cycle on the road and not run over all the pilgrims, it is mostly quiet, though we followed the camino path through Leon itself.

We used Velobur from Burgos (Diego that helped us was fantastic). They helped set the bikes up get everything ready and organized. You can send your luggage forward as carrying a backpack is difficult on a bike, or unload it all into the provided paniers if preferred - just be aware that cycling 45km per day will class as 2 stages for the luggage transfer so you will need to pay 10 euro per day rather than just 5.

We were able to store bikes at the albergues (some took some phoning around to check)
Day 1 - Pick up in Burgos Cycle to Hostel Rosalia in Castrojeriz (41.1km)
Day 2 - Cycle to Albergue Santa Clara in Carrion de los Condes (44.2km)
Day 3 - Cycle to Albergue Santa Clara in Bercianos (50.3km) (yes the same name two days in a row its not a typo)
Day 4 - Cycle to Hotel Spa Paris in Leon (44.8km) (little bit of luxury!)
Day 5 - Drop of in Astorga (49.8km)

Velobur do a standard package for 155euro which includes everything you need.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any more questions.

When walking the CF with my father last year, he unfortunately had an Achilles problem and had to have some days without walking/walking shorter days. So we therefore decided to cycle a portion and we rented bikes from Burgos to Astorga, we took it steady to help the foot heal doing around 45km per day for 5 days. This would have been 11 days walking so it saves you 6 days! The Camino follows mostly along the side of the road, so you can cycle on the road and not run over all the pilgrims, it is mostly quiet, though we followed the camino path through Leon itself.

We used Velobur from Burgos (Diego that helped us was fantastic). They helped set the bikes up get everything ready and organized. You can send your luggage forward as carrying a backpack is difficult on a bike, or unload it all into the provided paniers if preferred - just be aware that cycling 45km per day will class as 2 stages for the luggage transfer so you will need to pay 10 euro per day rather than just 5.

We were able to store bikes at the albergues (some took some phoning around to check)
Day 3 - Cycle to Albergue Santa Clara in Bercianos (50.3km) (yes the same name two days in a row its not a typo)

As mentioned by Suetufts one of the big parts of the Frances is the Camino Family, so you may very well be leaving behind a crowd of people you have grown very fond of over the 2 weeks walking to Burgos. You may well make another crowd from Leon or Astorga, but be prepared that family groups may already have set in and you wont get the same feeling. Therefore considering starting in another location like Estella or Logrono may "save" you the same amount of time, whilst still allowing you to feel you have walked a continuous walk with the same family.
If you are sharing the journey with someone i think it is an alright idea as you will still be sharing it with someone the whole way. If you are walking solo i would recommend picking a different starting point instead.

Thank you for your input. Much to consider

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Probably not.

SJPdP to Santiago is 773 km.
At 20 km/day that that's 38.65 days.

Burgos to LeĂłn is 178 km. To complete it in 3 days you need to cycle 60 km/day.

Then you have 595 km to walk. 595 divided by 20 km = 30 days.

But you only have 24 days, so you would have to average more than 28 km/day on your walking days to complete the Camino in 24 days with cycling for 3 days between Burgos and LeĂłn.

I highly recommend that you start in Burgos and walk. It's 490 km between Burgos and Santiago. So you would only need to average a little more than 20 km/day.

It's about another 90 km to Finisterre, so if you want to walk Burgos to Finisterre you can do it if you average just over 24 km/day.

To complete it in 3 days you need to cycle 60 km/day.

60k per day is at the lower end of most cycling days. Rule of thumb is the occasional biker can do 3 walking sections in 1 day. There will days when the elevations would mean 2 sections but 70km-80km is OK.

Any limitation to this is usually found in the rear.

60k per day is at the lower end of most cycling days. Rule of thumb is the occasional biker can do 3 walking sections in 1 day. There will days when the elevations would mean 2 sections but 70km-80km is OK.

Any limitation to this is usually found in the rear.
Probably not.

SJPdP to Santiago is 773 km.
At 20 km/day that that's 38.65 days.

Burgos to LeĂłn is 178 km. To complete it in 3 days you need to cycle 60 km/day.

Then you have 595 km to walk. 595 divided by 20 km = 30 days.

But you only have 24 days, so you would have to average more than 28 km/day on your walking days to complete the Camino in 24 days with cycling for 3 days between Burgos and LeĂłn.

I highly recommend that you start in Burgos and walk. It's 490 km between Burgos and Santiago. So you would only need to average a little more than 20 km/day.

It's about another 90 km to Finisterre, so if you want to walk Burgos to Finisterre you can do it if you average just over 24 km/day.
Thank you for your input.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @Suetufts despite the appearance of "being relatively"flat there are more than a few stages of the Meseta that are not flat. The climb after Castrojeriz is more than a challenge for even experienced cyclists particularly if you have your 8-10kg pack on the back I know I cycled it in 2015. Yes you could do it in 4 or 5 days but there a some amazing parts or places that you see at 5km per hour but rush past at 20km per hour. If you do decide to hire a bike be sure to bring your own extra secure bike chain and lock. Most albergues on the Meseta will allow you to bring your bike on to their property but security will be your responsibility. Also check if your travel insurance will cover the bike and any damage you do to it, or it does to other walking pilgrims. As for "following the walkers trail"- it most cases the Camino follows local unsealed roads, however from Fromista to Carrion de los Condes I would recommend using the sealed roads (the P980 and PP2411 + N120). If you are really serious may I suggest that you try to get hold of the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide. I found it invaluable as it contained a lot more information about the road / route names or numbers. Cheers

Hola @Suetufts despite the appearance of "being relatively"flat there are more than a few stages of the Meseta that are not flat. The climb after Castrojeriz is more than a challenge for even experienced cyclists particularly if you have your 8-10kg pack on the back I know I cycled it in 2015. Yes you could do it in 4 or 5 days but there a some amazing parts or places that you see at 5km per hour but rush past at 20km per hour. If you do decide to hire a bike be sure to bring your own extra secure bike chain and lock. Most albergues on the Meseta will allow you to bring your bike on to their property but security will be your responsibility. Also check if your travel insurance will cover the bike and any damage you do to it, or it does to other walking pilgrims. As for "following the walkers trail"- it most cases the Camino follows local unsealed roads, however from Fromista to Carrion de los Condes I would recommend using the sealed roads (the P980 and PP2411 + N120). If you are really serious may I suggest that you try to get hold of the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide. I found it invaluable as it contained a lot more information about the road / route names or numbers. Cheers
I think we did decide to not rent bikes but shorten our Camino. We are just trying to figure out what part yo cut. Thank you for your input.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could start walking in Pamplona instead of St. Jean Pied-de-Port. Last year one of the "Amigos del Camino" I made shortly after starting in Pamplona rented an e-bike in Burgos to ride the Meseta so she could return sooner to her medical practice in Sweden. I found the Meseta charming. Buen Camino

You could start walking in Pamplona instead of St. Jean Pied-de-Port. Last year one of the "Amigos del Camino" I made shortly after starting in Pamplona rented an e-bike in Burgos to ride the Meseta so she could return sooner to her medical practice in Sweden. I found the Meseta charming. Buen Camino
Thank you for your input.

But this worries me...

Good luck!
Everybody should lay off any judgement. The guy has said he wanted to save some time so what?

I Myself only walk five miles a day ...then i stop for 3 to 4 days. And you dont lose your contacts because anybody you meet on the Camino is part of your fam or Camily....stop judging and just offer help if you can and if you cannot then keep your judgement to yourself

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back